Restaurant 2013

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Had breakfast at Riddle and Finns last Saturday. Portions were huge and quality excellent. I love it there in the evenings but its now going to be a favourite for a weekend breakfast when in Brighton.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As per another thread, went to the Oriental Village on a Groupon deal last night ( two adults for £17 ).

Well the reports of crapness are true. Even with only six tables the staff were slow, unattentive and unfriendly. Strangely they were able to serve your drinks quickly but not take orders for more food very quickly. It would have helped if the managers actually helped out rather than stood around chatting.

The food has really gone downhill. Far too salty - very good at filling you up quickly and getting you to buy more drinks. A lot of it was bland and the Thai curries are watery.

BE WARNED - according to this place you are an adult once you hit 10 ( yes TEN ! ). No 11 year old will eat £16 of food ( none of my children could anyway ) !

The seats are very uncomfortable - I guess it gets you out quicker.

Very disappointing given my good experiences in the past and we will not be going back - CRAP !!!!! 1/10 - the one is the the entertainment value of the arguments going on in the kitchen that we could hear from our table.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Right, were is the best place to get a breakfast in Brighton these days? I'm aware of Bills but want something along the lines of The Pile Up, from Harry's in Hove (RIP) and it has to have black pudding and fried bread.

Langalees is cheap and cheerful, the food isn't top qulla but it IS presented with a smile and that makes a big difference at 10am.

I like Mange Tout on Trafalgar Street and really like Billies on Upper North Street.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In Pitt Cue Co, London. The finest BBQ meats. This place has the full 5 Tubthumper stars.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interwok Worthing - strangely eerie as they only got a 1 star rating on hygiene however I thought it was OK

Company was very good

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Went to Beach House in Shoreham for breakfast yesterday

Excellent full cooked with very good quality Sausage Bacon and Mushroom 9/10

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Went to Ortellos in Hove with a large'ish party of ten. Service was generally speedy and good humoured. Great value for money as most people had three courses and it worked out £20 a head ( including things like steak as well as pasta ). The Rigatoni Ortello is fantastic.

Great night out for a very good price ( and free parking ! ). 8/10

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Days - Brighton

Pretty good for what you pay and all the fun of the family.

Oh and that young Ewbank lad was on the table next to us, kept being pestered by people as well

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ashoka, Eastbourne. Great food. Heard good things about the Hove one but never been.

Underwhelming to say the least when I last went to the one in Hove.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Had breakfast at Riddle and Finns last Saturday. Portions were huge and quality excellent. I love it there in the evenings but its now going to be a favourite for a weekend breakfast when in Brighton.

Thanks for this mate. Took my girlfriend for breakfast there this morning and it was fantastic. Much better value than a lot of places e.g. Bills. Best eggs royale I've ever had!

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Tried to book a table for 2 in the Coalshed for last night - they had one available but only from 7pm to 8pm. Decided that i would go elsewhere, so me and Mrs SS went to Hove Bank and had a great meal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Underwhelming to say the least when I last went to the one in Hove.

Agree. Best British Indian Restaurant in Brighton is next door at The Ganges.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Agree. Best British Indian Restaurant in Brighton is next door at The Ganges.

Always loved the Ganges.
Great food, good service, cosy and comfortable seating, and not a feeling of being rushed to get more sittings in.

Ginger Fox, half way between Pyecombe/Devils Dyke and Henfield @ Shaves Thatch.

Had lunch there last week. £45 for 2, one with 2 courses, one with 3.
Lovely food, small uncomfortable wooden seats (perhaps that's just a bugbear of mine?), reasonably good value I thought.

8/10

(Much better than the £100 rip off at the Ginger Dog, Kemptown. A painted up 'trendy' pub, charging top restaurant prices).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Tin Drum - Hove 1/10

Used to eat at the Tin Drum Seven Dials and always loved it. Was much better value for money than similar places as they have their own farm and the quality was superb. Was a shame when it started to go downhill and now is no more.

Went to the one in Hove last night as we happened to be passing... turned out to be one of the worst meals I've had in our fair city.

First appearances it all looked much like the Tin Drum always has been, but the food was very poor:

Starter - Calamari - overcooked and tasted really fishy. Wasn't prepared properly as the inner membrane was still on the squid
Served with: chilli jam - a mess of mushed up chilli spread across the plate. Definitely not a jam, just raw heat with no flavour
aioli - a toxic yellow slime which didn't taste of garlic
salad - Probably at its best about three or four days ago, now tired and limp and frankly knackered.

Main course - Burger - Nice enough patty, pink in the middle just the way I like it.
Bun - Rock like
Chips - very greasy
Salad - see above
Condiments - very cheap tasting mayo and tomato sauce.

Dessert - chocolate bar from nearby newsagent, didn't want to waste money on another course at the Tin Drum.

Couldn't complain about the service though.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Anyone heard about problems at Fishy Fishy? They've just been forced to close their other outlet in Poole due to lack of custom, plus I've heard that portion sizes have shrunk there recently - never a good sign. Maybe having a famous person as a figurehead isn't enough when times are tough, especially when the publicity isn't very good.

Never mind the name, they should serve more than Fish.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Took advantage of the Sunday night special at Ockenden Manor, Cuckfield this weekend. As usual, stunning food - the cauliflower soup was to die for and the pork and venison main courses just melted in the mouth. If you want a treat at a top hotel, with a great spa, Michelin star restaurant and all for £99 per person I'd highly recommend it. 10/10

This place is fabulous, if you want to spend a bit more.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ordered chicken for home delivery from The Box Rocks the other night. Awful. Food was cold and took an hour and a half to turn up. They didn't even manage to deliver the dips I ordered. Phoned up to complain and the guy told me my food wasn't cold ..... eh ??

Finally agreed to send the dips ( another 45 minutes ). Demanded a tenner back for the poor food and he reluctantly agreed and sent it with the dips.

0/10 - avoid at all costs.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Took advantage of the Sunday night special at Ockenden Manor, Cuckfield this weekend. As usual, stunning food - the cauliflower soup was to die for and the pork and venison main courses just melted in the mouth. If you want a treat at a top hotel, with a great spa, Michelin star restaurant and all for £99 per person I'd highly recommend it. 10/10

Booked in here for my birthday in a couple of weeks off the back of this thead. Can't wait.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports