Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Respect for Referees

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This has been discussed before Ric, but you are spot on with what you say, the abuse that refs get (not just from players) it makes me wonder why they bother...there would be no games without them. Agree totally with what you say about the Captain being the only person able to directly approach a ref and ask about a decision, the scenes of groups of players harranguing refs may make for good TV but it does nothing to enhance the reputation of the game...plus, how many refs have changed their mind after making a decision, not that many I guess.

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
My season is over, we had it in the bag but then we mucked up our last 3 games against easy teams. If you mean Keiran Beales then yeah he does. Did you play when you played shoreham at their ground, I watched it lol.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
How amusing.

Calling the ref a fat bastard from the stands-ok

Calling the ref a fat bastard from the pitch- hurtful and disrespectful

i WONDER where kids POSSIBLY learn it from....

Last edited:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton

Becuase currently it is not fun to play or I'm sure referee a game when the referee is constantly being undermined, and is it seems encourages not to take action. I don't see a downside to trialling this for a season at youth football and seeing if it works.

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
There was a brief experiment in football with the 'dissent = move the free kick 10 yards nearer' rule a few years ago. I don't remember the competition, but I imagine it was the equivalent at that time of the JPT, and I remember Albion scoring from a free kick that had been moved forward. But it only applied once, unlike in rugby where the ref just keeps giving another 10 yards until they shut up, and the experiment was quietly dropped. I don't buy this line that you'll never change the culture of football, but nothing will talk louder than goals conceded and points dropped, so until the 'respect for referees' campaign aquires some teeth it'll be roundly ignored at every level of football.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
How amusing.

Calling the ref a fat bastard from the standard-ok

Calling the ref a fat bastard from the pitch- hurtful and disrespectful

i WONDER where kids POSSIBLY learn it from....

Yes, it does not take a rocket scientist to work out that many kids get the abusive languags and the idea to say it to the referee from watching professional games.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The example must come from the top, if it were brought in at International and League level then the idea would soon permeate down through the whole of football.

Jimmy Grimble

How about this then...

Is it wrong, and/or, do you abuse the referee at Brighton games?

Slightly differnt but still...

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I just find it AMUSING when a ref is being shouted at by the opposition player, dosen't book him and then the guy near me shouts " f***ing HELL REF, don't let him f***ing speak to you like that you idiot. you dont know what your doing!"....right infront of the kids, who then preceed to slag the ref off.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
they copy what the see at Withdean, MOTD or Sky and who can blame them.

It's the disrespect shown to officials from the media that drives me mad, because I think they could play a massive role in improving things. They will dissect a game based on all the decisions, big or small, that they can find a camera angle in super-slow-mo showing the wrong decision was made, and THAT has contributed to the culture of any defeat being the refs fault somehow. How many times do you hear a co-commentator stay completely quiet over a decision untuil he's seen a replay and then suddenly he's 100% convinced that the ref got it wrong. Hmm, but they aren't so sure seeing it once, and at full speed are they, yet they can't believe the ref got it wrong.

Whereas if the media dealt with managers differently when they offered such lame excuses about tyhe refs then maybe they would switch their attention away from the decisions of the officials and back to the decisions made by their players, and themselves in their selections.

Forget Bennetts decision to send of Mascherano, how about Mascheranos decision to swear at the ref after EVERY decision in that game. Forget the penalty decisions against you Wenger, how about your decision to move one of your best two centre-halves to full back for the game, and having Senderos in the middle. Players make dozens of bad decisions every game, and if they'd made better ones, then the odd bad decision from the ref shouldn't come into it.

I really don't think the Andy Grays of this World do anything but harm to the chances of seeing some respect for the officials in the game.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
It's the disrespect shown to officials from the media that drives me mad, because I think they could play a massive role in improving things. They will dissect a game based on all the decisions, big or small, that they can find a camera angle in super-slow-mo showing the wrong decision was made, and THAT has contributed to the culture of any defeat being the refs fault somehow. How many times do you hear a co-commentator stay completely quiet over a decision untuil he's seen a replay and then suddenly he's 100% convinced that the ref got it wrong. Hmm, but they aren't so sure seeing it once, and at full speed are they, yet they can't believe the ref got it wrong.

Whereas if the media dealt with managers differently when they offered such lame excuses about tyhe refs then maybe they would switch their attention away from the decisions of the officials and back to the decisions made by their players, and themselves in their selections.

Forget Bennetts decision to send of Mascherano, how about Mascheranos decision to swear at the ref after EVERY decision in that game. Forget the penalty decisions against you Wenger, how about your decision to move one of your best two centre-halves to full back for the game, and having Senderos in the middle. Players make dozens of bad decisions every game, and if they'd made better ones, then the odd bad decision from the ref shouldn't come into it.

I really don't think the Andy Grays of this World do anything but harm to the chances of seeing some respect for the officials in the game.

True. Many pundits and commentators don't seem to understand that the ref only sees it once at full speed, and judges his decision on what he's seen. I'm sure in hindsight many Refs believe they made the wrong decisions but by that point it's too late to change anything. EVERY single decision that was given to us was contested by them, even if it was blatantly obvious that it was a foul/ offside. It got to a point where they were blaming the referee for not giving offside, when it was their linesman who should be making the decision.

JSD Albion

Jul 17, 2003
Burgess Hill
How about for next year's Sports Relief Hansen and Lawrenson are the linesmen and Lineker the ref for a game - with cameras covering it from every angle. Then a panel of refs could dissect their decisions. No - maybe this is one for Comic Relief.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006

:clap:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There was a news feature the other week where a young ref gave up officiating kids games because of the abuse he was receiving.

They need to stamp this out best way is if players or parents of a team are swearing at ref, players or anything the ref gives the team a warning if it persists the game is called off and the points awarded to the other team.

Maybe then some of the kids and parents will learn a bit of respect for someone who turns up to make sure these ungrateful f*ckers have a game to play at the weekend

Rant over!! :angry:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
There was a news feature the other week where a young ref gave up officiating kids games because of the abuse he was receiving.

They need to stamp this out best way is if players or parents of a team are swearing at ref, players or anything the ref gives the team a warning if it persists the game is called off and the points awarded to the other team.

Maybe then some of the kids and parents will learn a bit of respect for someone who turns up to make sure these ungrateful f*ckers have a game to play at the weekend

Rant over!! :angry:

What happens if both teams are hurling regular abuse at the ref? (be it players, managers or parents)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here