Respect for Referees

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I just played a game for my club Southern Rangers u15s, against Melford. We lost 4-2 but that is not what I want to talk about.

Melford at my age have a repuatation for being a particularly nasty bunch on the pitch. They swear, hack stamp and are generally mouthy gits. We had an awful ref today which didn't help, but they completely undermined him. They called him a f***ing fat bastard several times, to which he turned a bad eye. One of their players tried to stamp on one of ours, missed and the ref saw it all. So what did he do? he gave a freekick and didn't even talk to their guy. Eventually the ref lost his patience and sent off one of their players for calling him 'f***ing blind'. The kid, who'd been all cocky and confident just seconds before, started to cry as he walked off. This just made me think of him as an even bigger nobhead.

What I am proposing is that only the captain be allowed to approach the referee to question a decision, as is done in Rugby. It would protect the Refs from receiving such abuse, and if they were approached by a player who wasn't a captain, then that player should be duly booked or sent off, depending on his offence. The Captain could discuss issues and decisions he is not happy with in a civilized manner, without the ref being insulted. Things would surely be sorted out more effectively this way. If the ref required to speak to a player other than the captain, then this would obviously be fine.

This would make it so much easier for everyone in the game. It would protect the refs from the abuse, as well as teaching players to respect people around them. It's not ok to call someone you don't know properly 'f***ing blind' off the pitch so why should it be ok off it.

If this idea were to work, then it would have to come from the top and be stuck to very strictly. I don't think there are too many disadvantages of this idea, and so it can only help the game as a whole.

Well, what do you reckon?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think rugby has a far, far better system for player interaction with referees than football does, and FIFA/UEFA etc... really should look to learn from their example.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
True, this is exactly what I am saying. It should not be too difficult to implement. Isn't it Barnet who allow only their captain to speak to the referee, with great success?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
This will only get sorted when referees start standing up to this type of behaviour.

If ref gets called 'a f***ing fat bastard' and then turns a blind eye, HE, as well as the player, is the one with the problem.

I know, but if only the captain could talk to the ref, then that could not happen, or if it did, there would be more consequences.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As many know I have managed my lads team from U8s to our final season just about to end as U16s.

The level of behaviour of some players is a disgrace and I would have long got rid of them from my team had they played for us. Managers need to take responsibility for the discipline of their teams and we have received a warning letter about one manager of another team in our club already. Several times I have taken kids off as they have lost it including my son and usually a 5 minute cool down sorts out the problem.

Our disciplinary record is 4 yellows and one straight red (which was fully justified) so I am pleased with that.

On the flip side though is that if no-one manages the kids will not play football and it takes up loads of your time and is a thankless task of normally whinging parents who perceive their son is the next Ronaldo.

I would advocate the team captain deals with all matters of discussion with the referee but the main reason why players mis-behave is because they copy what the see at Withdean, MOTD or Sky and who can blame them. The FA should set stiffer disciplinaries to stamp out this nonsense from the top down.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
As many know I have managed my lads team from U8s to our final season just about to end as U16s.

The level of behaviour of some players is a disgrace and I would have long got rid of them from my team had they played for us. Managers need to take responsibility for the discipline of their teams and we have received a warning letter about one manager of another team in our club already. Several times I have taken kids off as they have lost it including my son and usually a 5 minute cool down sorts out the problem.

Our disciplinary record is 4 yellows and one straight red (which was fully justified) so I am pleased with that.

On the flip side though is that if no-one manages the kids will not play football and it takes up loads of your time and is a thankless task of normally whinging parents who perceive their son is the next Ronaldo.

I would advocate the team captain deals with all matters of discussion with the referee but the main reason why players mis-behave is because they copy what the see at Withdean, MOTD or Sky and who can blame them. The FA should set stiffer disciplinaries to stamp out this nonsense from the top down.

Great post I agree with every word. As we departed, our manager said that he was proud of us for the way we had conducted ourselves on the pitch, despite how they had conducted themselves. The manager of the other team however obviously doesn't say anything about conduct or behaviour on the pitch to his team, as they have been like this for 3 or 4 seasons.

You are correct, that it must come from the top, which was exactly what I was saying. Too many players behave terribly on the pitch and are copied by younger fans.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And I might add we played Melford Youth at U9s last and won 6 - 0 at home and 4 - 1 away and I commented to their manager I was glad a doctor was at the game as they were ill disciplined.

Sajerz

Feb 6, 2008
Leamington
I used too, only for 5 years. Got my loyalty medal then left. Melford were a dirty team even when i played for hove park, Ian doesnt get on too well with them too well does he. I play for Adur now anyway and how is your relegation battle going?

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I used too, only for 5 years. Got my loyalty medal then left. Melford were a dirty team even when i played for hove park, Ian doesnt get on too well with them too well does he. I play for Adur now anyway and how is your relegation battle going?

You are correct, Ian hates Melford with a passion. When one of their players tried to stamp on Sam (his son) he almost went onto the pitch and decked him one. He restrained himself however.

As for the relegation battle, we're doing ok. If we beat Patcham on Wednesday, then we will be level on points with Lewes Bridgeview (assuming they lose to Whitehawk) I'm enjoying it a lot though, as all the lads are really nice and there is a good team spirit. What is your name, if you don't mind me asking?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
True, this is exactly what I am saying. It should not be too difficult to implement. Isn't it Barnet who allow only their captain to speak to the referee, with great success?

the thing is and I dont want to play the "class card" but basically Rugby is played and nurtured at public/ grammer schools and universities. Players are taught from a very young age to respect referees, to accept their decisions and most importantly to keep their mouths shut. This is NOT the ethos put about by football managers, coaches etc. You only have to watch children playing and the behaviour of the parents....go along to Hove Rec or Waterhall and watch the equivalent young lads playing...its totally different.

If you watch Rugby as I do, it is played by a totally different person to football...yes they may be thugs, and some of the stuff that goes on would not be tolerated in football, however one main difference is cheating.

Pople keep holding the code up as some sort of holy grail, but the problems are so deep with football behaviour that it will never change........this "only the captain talks to the ref" is a pipe dream

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
the thing is and I dont want to play the "class card" but basically Rugby is played and nurtured at public/ grammer schools and universities. Players are taught from a very young age to respect referees, to accept their decisions and most importantly to keep their mouths shut. This is NOT the ethos put about by football managers, coaches etc. You only have to watch children playing and the behaviour of the parents....go along to Hove Rec or Waterhall and watch the equivalent young lads playing...its totally different.

If you watch Rugby as I do, it is played by a totally different person to football...yes they may be thugs, and some of the stuff that goes on would not be tolerated in football, however one main difference is cheating.

Pople keep holding the code up as some sort of holy grail, but the problems are so deep with football behaviour that it will never change........this "only the captain talks to the ref" is a pipe dream

I think that it is something that should be experimented with, at the very least.

I see no reason why if kids are taught as soon as they start playing to respect the referee, the situation can't change. If it were a rule, then it would have to be accepted, and would change the way many players (certaintly at my age) behave on the pitch.

You may be correct, and maybe it will not work, but I think the situation is bad enough for something to be done to change it.

Jimmy Grimble

Ric, did you go down?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think that it is something that should be experimented with, at the very least.

I see no reason why if kids are taught as soon as they start playing to respect the referee, the situation can't change. If it were a rule, then it would have to be accepted, and would change the way many players (certaintly at my age) behave on the pitch.

You may be correct, and maybe it will not work, but I think the situation is bad enough for something to be done to change it.

but the kids only follow what they see on telly and how their parents behave.

the Yob culture is alive and well......you have to work very hard to change society

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Right ok. I'm sure people at the club will remember you and I'll tell Ian I've spoken to you (sort of) If there's still a team next year (there may not be if we go down) then I think you should rejoin us. We need all the help we can get, and if you played for 5 years then they obviously thought you were good enough.

As for Adur, your doing well this year aren't you? maybe we'll be playing each other in div 1 next year.

Finally, does a boy called Keiran Balesy still play for you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports