Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic Loanee Strikers

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Its obvious we have looked hard for a striker but Bloom wont panic buy, i would rather wait till the summer and get better value.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Let's hope another no mark striker is signed in panic would rather we wait to the summer and see what is available then
Why would you think there would be 'strikers who offer value for money' in the summer?

There weren't any last summer, a year ago, the previous summer, the January before that ...

... can you see a pattern forming?

All the time the club isn't in the Premier League it can't attract quality strikers on a budget.
But it can't get into the Premier League without a quality striker.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why would you think there would be 'strikers who offer value for money' in the summer?

There weren't any last summer, a year ago, the previous summer, the January before that ...

All the time the club isn't in the Premier League it can't attract quality strikers on a budget.

Very different situation. Trying to attract a top striker to a team who finished 20th as compared to attracting one to potentially a play off team. When we've got to the play offs in two previous years, we've had two terrible summers with managers quitting. This time, if we do get to the play offs and lose, it will be a more stable summer hopefully and a chance to build.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Commonly called catch 22 - so either the budget has to be blown or we accept that we remain a Championship club. I guess 'Boro, Derby and Hull are demonstrating that the former is the way.......

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Agreed - Chicken and Egg situation

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very different situation. Trying to attract a top striker to a team who finished 20th as compared to attracting one to potentially a play off team. When we've got to the play offs in two previous years, we've had two terrible summers with managers quitting. This time, if we do get to the play offs and lose, it will be a more stable summer hopefully and a chance to build.
But the team can't 'build' without a striker.
They can't sing a striker because they won't pay the over inflated going rate.
No striker will come here to 'make a name for himself', because the team isn't in the shop window.
Anyone thinking that every other future window won't be the same as all the previous ones is delusional.

But nowhere near as delusional as the club who seem to think players will come to a club they've never heard of, instead of a club who's games are beamed live all over the globe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Commonly called catch 22 - so either the budget has to be blown or we accept that we remain a Championship club. I guess 'Boro, Derby and Hull are demonstrating that the former is the way.......
Don't forget to add QPR, Bournemouth as well.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No striker will come here to 'make a name for himself', because the team isn't in the shop window.
Anyone thinking that every other future window won't be the same as all the previous ones is delusional.

But nowhere near as delusional as the club who seem to think players will come to a club they've never heard of, instead of a club who's games are beamed live all over the globe.

I really don't understand the negativity from some on here. You would think we were bottom of the league rather than fourth. If I was Tony Bloom and read posts like this, I'd be tempted to stop paying £10 million a year to cover losses and just give up on the club when all people do is moan when we're fourth in the league.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Manchester United have a really hot young 20 year old striker who has played for England at all levels up to U21 and may be available on loan, but apparently there are a host of championship and a few premier clubs after him. But having been a poster on NSC for years I know that there is no way we will get him ahead of Boro, Hull, Derby, QPR, etc etc etc :dunce:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I really don't understand the negativity from some on here. You would think we were bottom of the league rather than fourth. If I was Tony Bloom and read posts like this, I'd be tempted to stop paying £10 million a year to cover losses and just give up on the club when all people do is moan when we're fourth in the league.

Its not negativity it is a fact that we are within touching distance of the winning post, probably nearer than we have ever been since the Premier was formed and in a better position than when Gus and Oscar were here. Now is the time to capitalize on that opportunity. Promotion makes financial sense for TB and although I have resisted the urge to spend TB money for him I believe now is the time to speculate to accumulate, a much used phrase.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

That Ulloa bloke we had doesn't seem to have done too badly, he was pretty much unknown and put himself in the shop window

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Its not negativity it is a fact that we are within touching distance of the winning post, probably nearer than we have ever been since the Premier was formed and in a better position than when Gus and Oscar were here. Now is the time to capitalize on that opportunity. Promotion makes financial sense for TB and although I have resisted the urge to spend TB money for him I believe now is the time to speculate to accumulate, a much used phrase.

I'm sure Bloom will appreciate your advice. He definitely does not know that a striker could improve our squad.

And it is negativity when people spend all their time moaning rather than looking at the positives e.g. we're fourth in the league and have strengthened this transfer window. We also, as someone else said above, got Wilson ahead of a number of Championship clubs but nobody mentions that just moans that we've not signed certain players.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That Ulloa bloke we had doesn't seem to have done too badly, he was pretty much unknown and put himself in the shop window
Name another.

That deal has and will keep costing the club, as they continue to chase players that no longer exist.

It's all academic anyway, in no time at all we'll be booing a £50 million striker the same as a £50k one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm sure Bloom will appreciate your advice. He definitely does not know that a striker could improve our squad.

And it is negativity when people spend all their time moaning rather than looking at the positives e.g. we're fourth in the league and have strengthened this transfer window. We also, as someone else said above, got Wilson ahead of a number of Championship clubs but nobody mentions that just moans that we've not signed certain players.

The positives you mention mean nothing if we dont get over the winning line as was shown under Gus and Oscar. Yes it is great to be in this position but just a little more can make it much better, which is what we all want except for the club lickers who can see no wrong or need for improvement.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The positives you mention mean nothing if we dont get over the winning line as was shown under Gus and Oscar. Yes it is great to be in this position but just a little more can make it much better, which is what we all want except for the club lickers who can see no wrong or need for improvement.

Brilliant. You've lost the argument by including the offensive and pathetic term "lickers". If you say anything that doesn't slag the club off, you're apparently a licker. Seriously, get a life.

As for it not meaning anything, I honestly think we'll get to the play offs either way. I don't think a quality new striker will get us to top two and I think we'll get to the play offs either way.

Nobody is saying we don't need a striker, we just don't all spend our time moaning over and over again (see your boring posts regarding left backs).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brilliant. You've lost the argument by including the offensive and pathetic term "lickers". If you say anything that doesn't slag the club off, you're apparently a licker. Seriously, get a life.

As for it not meaning anything, I honestly think we'll get to the play offs either way. I don't think a quality new striker will get us to top two and I think we'll get to the play offs either way.

Nobody is saying we don't need a striker, we just don't all spend our time moaning over and over again (see your boring posts regarding left backs).

I haven't lost the argument because people like you cannot see the wood from the trees and if the club said it was 8ft of snow outside you would accept it without even looking. thinking back to what Archer and Bellotti told us. Unlike you I believe that we can make the automatic as we have every team above and around us to play so it is in our hands to beat them and signing a striker be it on loan or permanent would help. I believe to make the play off is a fall back poor 2nd choice after the season we have had. As regards the left back situation as I have said many times I believe, and nobody will convince me otherwise, that CH made a mistake and this has cost us being top of the league. Even God is allowed 1 mistake it is the ability to overcome this that is what he will be judged on by many.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I haven't lost the argument because people like you cannot see the wood from the trees and if the club said it was 8ft of snow outside you would accept it without even looking. thinking back to what Archer and Bellotti told us. Unlike you I believe that we can make the automatic as we have every team above and around us to play so it is in our hands to beat them and signing a striker be it on loan or permanent would help. I believe to make the play off is a fall back poor 2nd choice after the season we have had. As regards the left back situation as I have said many times I believe, and nobody will convince me otherwise, that CH made a mistake and this has cost us being top of the league. Even God is allowed 1 mistake it is the ability to overcome this that is what he will be judged on by many.
Self important, self aggrandising drivel. What were the chances?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
There is plenty of delusion on here for sure. Why at this point would you sign a Jordan Rhodes say for £11m? You are looking at around £50k a week wages and say a 4yr contract so an investment of at least £20m in that period. He has to settle in to our style of play, score goals and step up and score in the PL too. If he doesn't, and it's clearly a risk, how do you recoup a significant portion of that? You would have a player in his late 20's who has failed at the highest level or possibly didn't even reach that. Even if he succeeds, the age factor and his lack of other attributes would limit his resale value.

Compare that to say Calleri, you would be offering a similar fee, wages of £25k on a similar 4 yr contract so a total outlay of £16m? If he fails, he would still have a resale value as he would be of interest to Italian or south American sides, the lack of success would be put down to failure to adapt to English conditions and although we would take a hit, it would be considerably less than Rhodes. If he succeeded, his resale value would be enhanced his age would be a plus as his best years would be in front of him.

While we all want the answer, the striker who will get us promoted this season. but signing Rhodes or McCormack who is even worse value represent a massive gamble with no get out if it went wrong...

The right player at the right time

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I haven't lost the argument because people like you cannot see the wood from the trees and if the club said it was 8ft of snow outside you would accept it without even looking. Unlike you I believe that we can make the automatic as we have every team above and around us to play so it is in our hands to beat them and signing a striker be it on loan or permanent would help. I believe to make the play off is a fall back poor 2nd choice after the season we have had. As regards the left back situation as I have said many times I believe, and nobody will convince me otherwise, that CH made a mistake and this has cost us being top of the league. Even God is allowed 1 mistake it is the ability to overcome this that is what he will be judged on by many.

Exactly my point. You assume the worst of the club rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt. You're so obsessed with your view, that you seem to think it's correct.

As for the striker, it's not a matter of not seeing the woods from the trees. I just assume the club is trying their hardest to get a striker. Do you seriously think the club isn't bothering to try to sign one? But it has to be the right one. I'm glad that they're not signing any striker just to pacify people like you. That's the reason we got into financial trouble in the first place but if fans like you had your way we'd throw money at signings and end up back there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not negativity it's just realism.

It's amazing how every window is exactly the same and then in the last 3 days we hear 'I'd rather wait until the next window, instead of panic buying now'.

It's not possible to buy a quality striker with ambitions on the Premier League, for third division money.

The club is fantastic is all other areas.
Knockaert being the latest player who may well create a Premier League player from who they already have.
He may well be a snip at 'only' £2.5m.

But it's about time the club was honest with Albion's Real Supporters and said 'suck it up people we ain't paying stooopid money for these mugs'.

Instead on whining on about how hard it is, and next time will be better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here