Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic Loanee Strikers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So have we really given up on signing a quality striker on a permanent? Really disappointing given all the hype about spending millions that we are now scratching around for a loan signing when we should have sorted this striker problem years ago.

The club have kept quiet throughout but have not once tried to stifle the expectation that built of spending 7 to 10 million on South Americans that so many on here blindly believed. Was this a little deceitful or good business sense by the club given the 1901 renewals being due? We were never going to spend that sort of money were we?
Face facts we've all been conned AGAIN.

You'd have thought we would have learned by now, but no.
Every time we think this transfer window will be different and every time the best we can hope for is another million wasted on Delbert the donkey.
I've spent all winter learning Argentinian for nothing.

Don't worry though, it'll soon be Summer and we can look forward to the club being laughed out of the Far East, because Championship clubs have to pay for quality strikers.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Face facts we've all been conned AGAIN.

You'd have thought we would have learned by now, but no.
Every time we think this transfer window will be different and every time the best we can hope for is another million wasted on Delbert the donkey.
I've spent all winter learning Argentinian for nothing.

Don't worry though, it'll soon be Summer and we can look forward to the club being laughed out of the Far East, because Championship clubs have to pay for quality strikers.

Very much this

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Kike scored 15 in 53 for Boro. Vetokele started last season well, done nothing since. Next......

In his defence, Vetokele has spent a large amount of time out injured. He looked superb last season, but its an achilles problem he's had which could flare up again. Would be a gamble but could pay off - i doubt he'll go anywhere as Charlton need firepower.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
We can't and should not pay 40k a week! Once one player is on that the rest will want increased wages as well. On top of that agents will see us as a club that will buckle and spunk large on wages and inflate the demands of any other future players we sign. It really is not worth it long term.

That doesn't make business sense but BG's point does. A loan player doesn't count in terms of what they are paid as far as the rest of the squad are concerned

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
That doesn't make business sense but BG's point does. A loan player doesn't count in terms of what they are paid as far as the rest of the squad are concerned

I disagree. I'm fairly certain we'll have a pretty rigid wage structure in place, even taking into account loan deals. There's no way we'll bring in a player that we're going to be contributing more towards than our wage structure allows.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Whisper of Joe Garner from Preston. Age 27. Good footballer. Having a poor season but over the previous 2 years averaged just short of a goal every two games so if the price is right............?

So good in League One, but not scoring in the Championship. Haven't we been there a little bit too frequently ?

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
Kike is shite.

Rumours Kike is off on loan to Fulham so you should be ok. McCormack on loan and view to a perminent at end of season and kike going the other way. Nugent, Rhodes, McCormack, plus the second kike, kike sola, has a good ring to it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I agree with Afobe setting the benchmark and for that reason I think a signing if it comes will be from abroad, the market here is just stupid.

That's the sum of it. It's why I believe we won't sign a striker. Why pay an absurd sum for someone no better than what we have ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I disagree. I'm fairly certain we'll have a pretty rigid wage structure in place, even taking into account loan deals. There's no way we'll bring in a player that we're going to be contributing more towards than our wage structure allows.

Bringing a player in at a bigger wedge than the current team players is likely to be disruptive and could prove counter productive.

But other upper-middle of the table Championship clubs have managed to sign PL older (but not pensioners) reserve players that were on significantly higher wages than the Albion players. Superficially, it seems like we have missed out.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Bringing a player in at a bigger wedge than the current team players is likely to be disruptive and could prove counter productive.

But other upper-middle of the table Championship clubs have managed to sign PL older (but not pensioners) reserve players that were on significantly higher wages than the Albion players. Superficially, it seems like we have missed out.

I think it's counter-productive to speculate on a) exactly what our squad earns and b) the terms of signings made by other clubs. We've seen the example this week of Spurs still paying a chunk of Abebayor's wages even though they've releaed him and he's joined another club. No reason to not believe some of these other ex-PL players' wages are still being subsidised by their old clubs.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We don't need a young loanee, we need an experienced head who will grab us some goals.

Reading signed Jason Roberts a few seasons ago and it was the catalyst to their promotion. An older head who has done it before rather than a youngster

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Let's hope another no mark striker is signed in panic would rather we wait to the summer and see what is available then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here