Reading (H) moved to Friday night now moved to TUESDAY 15TH MARCH

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SHGK

Jan 6, 2016
What a load of shit, so we now only have 2 Saturday 3pm kick offs left.

What frustrates me is I pay for my two little ones to have season tickets but evening games are too much for them, so they lose out and they bloody love their football.

Agree entirely, I pay for my 2 young uns, whilst the 11 YO is fine, the 8 YO struggles with late games. Additionally they both have other after school activities on Fridays.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not fussed, I like Friday night games and now have the weekend free to do other stuff. Weekends so football dominated its quite nice when the footy gets moved sometimes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe that Leeds chap has a point?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The club's argument will be the money that they get from Sky.

However, that needs to be balanced against the "walk-ups" who get tickets on a match-by-match basis who would no doubt rather watch from the warm comfort of their armchairs. Not only lost ticket revenue but merchandise and victuals as well.

The trains are a total nightmare for evening games when everybody has to travel within a narrow window (as opposed to Saturdays when there is more to "drift" towards the Amex), and you have all the regular commuters travelling home. That's assuming that they actually run the trains they are supposed to when they are supposed to run, which isn't always the case. So why would STHs venture out in inclement weather, to be crammed into a train (and I'm not talking about the Brighton to Falmer crush which is expected and tolerated), to watch poor quality football, and then pray that the dreaded "Southern Are Sorry to Announce......" doesn't haunt their journey home. Why not stay in the warm, have a few cans and watch the game on the gogglebox?

OK, so the fans might not matter but the money certainly does. And if you are losing casual fans, and STHs are staying away and the club is losing money through the "add-ons", just how much margin is there in a evening televised game? Enough to justify disappointing and inconveniencing so many supporters? I doubt it.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
How much do Championship clubs get from Sky per season? Is it a lump sum then extra per game?
Its par for the course being in the Championship and like a previous poster said it'll be worse if/when we get to the PL.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would reading be able to play their FA cup game on the monday? I have a recollection of something similar happening with us v Leeds and v Liverpool (albeit a league cup game also on sky).

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Stop the funding of Sky. Sorted.

Only if you seriously believe that no other tv company would step into the gap that Sky left. I imagine the Friday night game is a great watch for overseas broadcasters, hence why premier league games will be broadcast on Friday nights from next season, and that won't stop with Sky losing the rights.

How much do Championship clubs get from Sky per season? Is it a lump sum then extra per game?
Its par for the course being in the Championship and like a previous poster said it'll be worse if/when we get to the PL.

We get £100,000 for each home game and £10,000 for each away game over and above whatever the standard season payment is.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I join those who are thoroughly pissed off about this. Call me a traditionalist, but Saturday 3pm is footy time for me. In the unlikely event we get to the Prem any time soon it's going to be even worse.

If you were a traditionalist, you wouldn't call it 'footy'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll make a late decision and see how I feel on the day, I'm really not sure if I can be arsed with another Friday night trains gauntlet after work. Just going down the pub for it will probably be quite tempting. That'll be an empty season ticket seat if I do.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Only if you seriously believe that no other tv company would step into the gap that Sky left. I imagine the Friday night game is a great watch for overseas broadcasters, hence why premier league games will be broadcast on Friday nights from next season, and that won't stop with Sky losing the rights.

Generally speaking I feel that the issue is to volume of subscribers willing to pay set, block sums for packages such as Sports/Movies etc to various providers. If they were more select, splitting areas wanted eg Netflix or whatever then buying fillums or individual matches on demand hence avoiding all of the waste where you might not want to watch, say Palace v Stoke rather than buy it in bulk then you might save money and give the big players less of a free rein.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To be perfectly honest, the main reason I have Sky Sports now is for the cricket rather than the football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports