Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reading away

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very nice performance from the Albion. They played with confidence and a nice amount of swagger, which was pleasant to see. I also enjoyed seeing how we would swarm to the ball in numbers to win that scrappy midfield possession than can so often help with setting up attacks. I thought the new guys Undav, Mitoma, Enciso all brought a very good energy to the last 20 minutes.

You can't read too much into these games, but I thought that was a very decent workout indeed. My Albion Mojo still pretty high.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Definitely interesting that Van Hecke didn’t feature given the positive video on the website this week.
I feel like Clarke and Duffy might both be off. I just can’t see us wanting players with such little pace given we already have a few in and around the first team. If there was truth in the Bassey rumours I suspect we are also after Colwill which would make a lot of sense.
Can’t see the point of starting the season with both Maupay and Undav to be honest. And don’t think Potter would want two such similar players taking up squad numbers.
Mac and Moises are immense in the middle together. Welbz looked incredibly fit. March excellent and has been for months now.
Not sure we learnt much but Potter will be pleased.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I don't know what the possession stats were, but there were periods when Reading just couldn't get the ball.

On a different note, both Mitoma and Enciso are looking very sharp and full of tricks.
This. The 1st half especially we were way ahead in skill and work rate. Just a pity only 1 goal to show for it. When we were on top we had to be more clinical in front of goal even though it was only a friendly.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mitoma looks very pacy. Enciso is deceptively strong and also skilful. 5 subs will help us this season I think as it gives us a chance to give these fringe players chances to influence games with 15/20 mins to go, as the game opens up a bit.
Certain players are still a little rusty.
Was impressed with Caicedo again, and Mwepu when he came on.
Cucu was just his normal energetic and skilful self.
A little surprised not to see Sarmiento. Maybe he'll start versus Brentford.

Wonder if Tim Vickery might change his mind

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some very decent players won't get on the pitch judging by that performance.

Very impressed with Mitoma and Enciso. When we eventually sell Caicedo, it will be for a record sum.

Delighted to see Solly and Pascal carrying on their great form from the end of last season. It's like having two new signings.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good three points to start the season with.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Some very decent players won't get on the pitch judging by that performance.

Very impressed with Mitoma and Enciso. When we eventually sell Caicedo, it will be for a record sum.

Delighted to see Solly and Pascal carrying on their great form from the end of last season. It's like having two new signings.

Pascal looked like a Rolls Royce of a player from the glimpses I saw today. Just oozes class. Enjoyed his link-up play with Solly.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Mitoma looks very pacy. Enciso is deceptively strong and also skilful. 5 subs will help us this season I think as it gives us a chance to give these fringe players chances to influence games with 15/20 mins to go, as the game opens up a bit.
Certain players are still a little rusty.
Was impressed with Caicedo again, and Mwepu when he came on.
Cucu was just his normal energetic and skilful self.
A little surprised not to see Sarmiento. Maybe he'll start versus Brentford.

I think he's getting stronger with every game. He's bulking up, piling on the muscle, in the same way that Trossard did a few years ago.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Re comments on Van Hecke not playing today. I wonder if he’ll get a run out against Brentford on Tuesday. As well as we played today, Reading are a bottom 6 championship side and were not much of a test. They were chasing shadows in the first half and pergola GP wants to see him perform in friendly against better opponents.

Was impressed today though.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Good runout, players looked sharp and we played some really nice stuff. Caicedo and Dunk in particular were great, impressive cameo from Mitoma as well. Good atmosphere (from our lot, obv) for a pre-season game.

Would be surprised if Reading avoid relegation this season, they are very bad and 2-1 flattered them massively.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Re comments on Van Hecke not playing today. I wonder if he’ll get a run out against Brentford on Tuesday. As well as we played today, Reading are a bottom 6 championship side and were not much of a test. They were chasing shadows in the first half and perhaps GP wants to see him perform in a friendly against better opponents.

Was impressed today though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We still look like a team that will struggle Vs teams that park the bus. Look forward to seeing more from encisco and mitoma to help with that problem.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would love Enciso to stay and not go out on loan if he's going to get enough game time ............looks a real talent. With 5 subs allowed Potter will be able to give more players the chance

Frankly, picking a starting XI is looking like one hell of a job! Who to leave out? - not an easy one.

Last edited:

Sir-Len

Oct 28, 2012
Berkshire
If todays starting 11 we’re the same versus Man Utd it wouldn’t be a surprise, although I do think there are some positions up for grabs. Lamptey was tidy without being inspiring, Enciso seemed to offer more in the second half with more of a willingness to go past the last man. Enciso is stronger than I’d expect with his background and age. One passage of play that caught the eye saw Enciso chase down a Reading player in close proximity giving him little chance to do anything with the ball. Demonstrated he has a defensive element to his play that bodes well.
Mitoma will be a game changer. He’s so willing to run at the last defender, but like we saw last weekend, he drifts into great positions centrally if the passage of play is from the other wing. His awareness of where the ball might eventually end up is going to add goals. He does seem to read the game well. He’ll keep Solly keen that’s for sure.
A plus from today was how good Solly looked again, complete trust in Cucurella to do his job behind him, allowing him to push on higher up the pitch. In fact the back 3 played a high line throughout the game today, admittedly assisted by Readings limitations. This positive should be tempered with plan B once Cucurella went off and the question mark over whether Clarke can offer the same level of confidence against superior opposition hasn’t been qualified. I’m not convinced we have a finalised plan here but it is pre-season still, which is what it’s all about, right?
Overall today a commanding performance in third gear at best, let’s see how we step up a notch this week. I can see the 5 sub dynamic really working for us again with Potters ability to change a game with tactics and personnel.
A good pre-season work out and great to spend Saturday afternoon in a football ground.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Definitely interesting that Van Hecke didn’t feature given the positive video on the website this week.
I feel like Clarke and Duffy might both be off. I just can’t see us wanting players with such little pace given we already have a few in and around the first team. If there was truth in the Bassey rumours I suspect we are also after Colwill which would make a lot of sense.
Can’t see the point of starting the season with both Maupay and Undav to be honest. And don’t think Potter would want two such similar players taking up squad numbers.
Mac and Moises are immense in the middle together. Welbz looked incredibly fit. March excellent and has been for months now.
Not sure we learnt much but Potter will be pleased.

Maybe he starts on Tuesday vs Brentford?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here