Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re: All you anti Mghee

British Bulldog said:
So what would be so wrong with giving Wilkins a go at managing?

Because he's only coached adult players for about 7 games? Let him show his abilities as a coach first before totally murdering his career with a grossly premature step up to management.

Last edited:

Rookie said:
ady boothroyd was a untried manager.
Iain Dowie was untried before Oldham I think. Look at those two now
People have to start somewhere

Adie Boothroyd did not "start" at Watford. He was a widely respected first team coach at Leeds. For longer than 7 games. How many more times does this have to be explained :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
London Irish said:
I wasn't but all the media who described our system as 4-3-3 were. They have more credibility than you.

Not wanting to prolong this debate too long, but not being able to stop myself, we CATEGORICALLY did NOT play 4-3-3 at Bristol. Revell was hopelessly isolated until Robinson came on after about an hour - before then it was 4-5-1, with Loft wide left (!), Frutos wide right (!!) [they did switch for a bit], Hammond and Chippy were doing their usual stuff in the middle, and Cox was running all over the place, occasionally looking useful.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Ernest said:
Are you genuinely stupid ? Boothroyds first managerial job was at Watford so he started at Watford :dunce: :wave: :dunce:

You must be genuinely stupid as he was a youth team and reserve team coach somewhere else (can't remember where) before he was a first team coach at leeds, so he didn't start his coaching career at Watford.

Ernest said:
Are you genuinely stupid ? Boothroyds first managerial job was at Watford so he started at Watford :dunce: :wave: :dunce:

Ah, another dumbo who thinks first team coach at Leeds is an equivalent job to coaching the Brighton kids :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Jim in the West said:
Not wanting to prolong this debate too long, but not being able to stop myself, we CATEGORICALLY did NOT play 4-3-3 at Bristol. Revell was hopelessly isolated until Robinson came on after about an hour - before then it was 4-5-1, with Loft wide left (!), Frutos wide right (!!) [they did switch for a bit], Hammond and Chippy were doing their usual stuff in the middle, and Cox was running all over the place, occasionally looking useful.

No no, us fans have no credibility (well at least me because as everyone will tell you I talk complete shit and know nothing about football). It was 433 coz the hacks say so and they are the only ones with credibility.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Lets be honest any alternative to McGhee is going to be shot down by a few for one reason or another, lack of coaching etc.

Jim in the West said:

Are you seriously saying Loft and Frutos played at the same depth as the midfield 3 before the switch to 4-4-2? Anyways, I'll be able to check for myself when I get a tape of the game tomorrow.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
Because he's only coached adult players for about 7 games? Let him show his abilities as a coach first before totally murdering his career with a grossly premature step up to management.

And you know it's going to murder his career yeah? No you don't! Try & consider that a large number of the current squad are players that Wilkins brought through the youth system & probably knows them better than Mcghee will ever do.

Sometimes it's worth taking a gamble!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Are you seriously saying Loft and Frutos played at the same depth as the midfield 3 before the switch to 4-4-2? Anyways, I'll be able to check for myself when I get a tape of the game tomorrow.

Yes they did, the only one to push forward was Cox, but even that was fairly rare. Why can't you believe it if so many are saying it?

Last edited:

British Bulldog said:
And you know it's going to murder his career yeah? No you don't!

It doesn't really matter what you or I think, because we aren't going to agree on this as you are so far gone on McGhee that you would have the mascot Gully over him, it's more important what the chairman thinks, and I refer you to this post by Lord Bracknell on the matter:

Lord Bracknell said:
It would be crazy to give Dean Wilkins the manager's job. He can't do it. It would be another Hinshelwood fiasco, and Dick Knight knows that. DK's not going to put that pressure on himself, is he?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Rookie said:
ady boothroyd was a untried manager.
Iain Dowie was untried before Oldham I think. Look at those two now
People have to start somewhere

Alan Mullery
Martin O Neil

Obviously everyone has to start somewhere. In Mullery'scase he took us into the top flight in his first managerial job.

There are countless others. Wilkins is capable of doing the job I'm sure. My only concern is that DK won't give him the backing financially, any more than he is giving McGhee.

Les Biehn said:
Yes they did, the only one to push forward was Cox, but even that was fairly rare. Why can't you believe it if so many are saying it?

Because it isn't that many. I don't doubt that Revell was isolated, but that doesn't mean we were playing 4-5-1, it just means Frutos and Loft were not effective in ther assigned roles.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Because it isn't that many. I don't doubt that Revell was isolated, but that doesn't mean we were playing 4-5-1, it just means Frutos and Loft were not effective in ther assigned roles.

Yes your right they weren't effective because they wer pushed out to far wide and clearly told to focus to much on their defensive duties thus giving the 451 formation. I was there LI I saw it with my own eyes.

Also you say its not that many but you only proof for Wilkins not being given the coaches job is the fact Lord Bracknell said it. I happen to agree with what you say on Wilkins, but if you think 2 people saying something merits the validity of an argument how come 5 people saying we played 541 is not good enough.

Giraffe said:
Alan Mullery
Martin O Neil

Obviously everyone has to start somewhere. In Mullery'scase he took us into the top flight in his first managerial job.

There are countless others. Wilkins is capable of doing the job I'm sure. My only concern is that DK won't give him the backing financially, any more than he is giving McGhee.

It's very easy picking the ones that work when you've given yourself 30 years of football. But how many more are there of the likes of Brian Tinnion at Bristol City last season, who was on course to getting that club relegated to League 2?

It would be a terrible gamble. Why would he make a better job of it than Hinsh did? There seems to be this odd belief going round that all the success of the youth in recent years is down to Wilkins and has little to do with Hinshelwood.

Les Biehn said:
Yes your right they weren't effective because they wer pushed out to far wide and clearly told to focus to much on their defensive duties thus giving the 451 formation.

People failing to do their jobs doesn't create a formation :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
It's very easy picking the ones that work when you've given yourself 30 years of football. But how many more are there of the likes of Brian Tinnion at Bristol City last season, who was on course to getting that club relegated to League 2?

It would be a terrible gamble. Why would he make a better job of it than Hinsh did? There seems to be this odd belief going round that all the success of the youth in recent years is down to Wilkins and has little to do with Hinshelwood.

The set up and the overseeing is done by Hinsh, but the coaching and managing was done by Wilkins with help from Vig Bragg.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
London Irish said:
It doesn't really matter what you or I think, because we aren't going to agree on this as you are so far gone on McGhee that you would have the mascot Gully over him,

And your so far up McGhee's arse the last time I saw him I thought he had 4 legs! Then I realised 2 of them was your's!

It is so wrong to write off Wilkins, We've had success taking a chance on untried managers in the past and it will work in the future.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
London Irish said:

Whilst Hinsh was clearly not successful, you may recall he was appointed one week before the start of the season after a disastrous DK summer of running round not getting anyone else.

The result was a manager totally unprepared, with no budget to spend and forced into gambles like Kitson. Sadly we have just had a similar summer in terms of no signings and whilst McGhee does appear to have lost the plot questions have to be asked of DK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here