Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ pre-Liverpool press conference

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If he spent as much time questioning and admitting his own failings and mistakes as he does criticising and whinging about injuries, lack of backing and ambition from his employers he’d be getting a bit more understanding for his downbeat demeanor.
That is unfair, I get the impression RDZ is very self-critical, if not in pressers, certainly out of the public eye. Often in pressers he has accepted ultimate responsibility for poor performances - often saying things like ‘i have to try harder’ or ‘I made mistakes’ with the line-up or misjudged the opposition in advance of the game. He’s admitted to not using players when he should have done or not taking players off sooner. He can’t be blamed for our lack of clinical finishing, for our injuries or those coming back being off condition, or for Van Heck or Dunky errors at the back - just a few reasons we have struggled this season. If he has a ‘downbeat demeanour’ I would suggest it’s a feeling of frustration and disappointment something every single fan is also feeling in varying degrees this season because of the atrocious injury situation and some poor individual performances from the players (often just because of confidence or fitness issues).

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Indeed.

It seems some on here would prefer a manager with no ambition, quite content for us to muddle along in mid table mediocrity, never asking a question about the club's ambition.

Roy Hodgson, perhaps.

Hodgson has won things, lots of things hasn’t he, when he was about the same age as RDZ too? Not a great comparison RDZ has won NOTHING

You really don’t like anyone to have a different opinion to you do you? In fact you seem to get angry when they do, or put them on ignore :wink:

Until recently I bloody loved RDZ btw, I hope he comes out of this sulk and I can love him again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not a fair comparison. Sure, if we had 50k crowds, history of winning stuff, paying players and managers obscene money then our “ambition” might stand a chance of matching his.
So the burning question is - and will remain - how does the club realistically get to that next level? The 30k Amex comfortably sells out week on week, the club makes humungous profits on players by astute buying and selling while paying comparatively modest wages by EPL standards. What kick-starts the concerted push to the next level? There's a valid conversation to be had there. And one I strongly suspect RDZ will be having with TB sooner rather than later

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
That is unfair, I get the impression RDZ is very self-critical, if not in pressers, certainly out of the public eye. Often in pressers he has accepted ultimate responsibility for poor performances - often saying things like ‘i have to try harder’ or ‘I made mistakes’ with the line-up or misjudged the opposition in advance of the game. He’s admitted to not using players when he should have done or not taking players off sooner. He can’t be blamed for our lack of clinical finishing, for our injuries or those coming back being off condition, or for Van Heck or Dunky errors at the back - just a few reasons we have struggled this season. If he has a ‘downbeat demeanour’ I would suggest it’s a feeling of frustration and disappointment something every single fan is also feeling in varying degrees this season because of the atrocious injury situation and some poor individual performances from the players (often just because of confidence or fitness issues).
Cant be blamed for anything bad but get all the credit for anything good. Wish my job was like that

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

In that case maybe he should treat his frustrations as his admission of mistakes the same way and not air them in public?

I get how frustrating he has found this season, but it comes with the job doesn’t it?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hodgson has won things, lots of things hasn’t he, when he was about the same age as RDZ too? Not a great comparison RDZ has won NOTHING

You really don’t like anyone to have a different opinion to you do you? In fact you seem to get angry when they do, or put them on ignore :wink:
That’s uncalled for. Harry is actually one of the few posters on NSC imo that seems to make more than a willing effort to engage with and accommodate differing views. I suspect people don’t end up on Harry’s ignore list because he disagrees with their POV but rather the manner with which they have expressed it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Very telling that the match thread is practically dead but all focus on the coach across multiple threads.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's not about where we are in the league. I'm 53 years old and this is the greatest time alive, to be an Albion fan. This is about attitude, disrespect for you employers and disrespect for the man. whom gave you the platform on which to perform... I like RDZ, but he is not bigger than the club.....and he is not above question. I happy to think he is a bit of a one trick pony. And although that trick was very entertaining, while it lasted. It gets found out and you have to evolve. And I'm not seeing that. All I'm seeing is deflection of blame and a bit of a sulking brat tbh.......all very Poyet ish.
It’s Easter Sunday and NSC’s very own harbinger of doom is risen, Lazarus like. You’re never here when it’s going well are you?

Except, now you are. Because we have won our two previous games. And even if we lose away to Liverpool today, which is a possibility for literally any team on Earth, we still will have won two of the last three.

On a weekend when a Hibs player knocked out two teammates with one free kick, Man U conceded a 98th minute equaliser and West Ham lost a 3-1 lead to a team with no defenders, Brighton fans losing their shit because of a PRESS CONFERENCE is easily the weirdest thing to occur all Easter.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
In that case maybe he should treat his frustrations as his admission of mistakes the same way and not air them in public?
I agree to some extent, see my post above - he is pretty inept at handling the press and they him.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
That’s uncalled for. Harry is actually one of the few posters on NSC imo that seems to make more than a willing effort to engage with and accommodate differing views. I suspect people don’t end up on Harry’s ignore list because he disagrees with their POV but rather the manner with which they have expressed it.
Have you not seen how many sarcastic comments he’s made on this thread alone, I haven’t seen much engagement.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s Easter Sunday and NSC’s very own harbinger of doom is risen, Lazarus like. You’re never here when it’s going well are you?

Except, now you are. Because we have won our two previous games. And even if we lose away to Liverpool today, which is a possibility for literally any team on Earth, we still will have won two of the last three.

On a weekend when a Hibs player knocked out two teammates with one free kick, Man U conceded a 98th minute equaliser and West Ham lost a 3-1 lead to a team with no defenders, Brighton fans losing their shit because of a PRESS CONFERENCE is easily the weirdest thing to occur all Easter.
Excellent post, but Lazarus-like? Surely Jesus like, it’s literally Easter Sunday, it was an open goal! :lolol:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

That free kick though. Tehehehe
Even you reminding me of it has totally cracked me up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Until recently I bloody loved RDZ btw.
I was thinking of Hodgson at Palarse.

Not during his legendary trophy winning years. In, er, Switzerland, Sweden and Denmark. The last of his trophies won 23 years ago.

I have been reading out some of the soppy-arse comments to the missus for a laugh. I'm about as in-touch with anger as Howard Devoto singing 'Parade'. :lolol:

The moment anyone starts to question the motives of others they lose the argument :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Until recently I bloody loved RDZ btw, I hope he comes out of this sulk and I can love him again.
HWT has been very open about his autism, and why he copes by putting certain people on ignore.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
RDZ gives his heart, body and soul to every team he manages. It is inspirational and, since he is an excellent coach, very effective.

The problem is the toll this takes on his emotional well being. It is well documented that he never switches off from football and now we are seeing a tired human being gradually burning out.

Hopefully he figures out a more balanced mind-set, without losing his edge and stays with us for a decade. More likely he will be gone this summer or the next.

However he has never shown himself to be less than honourable in the past so all this talk of him going full Poyet is utter bollocks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So the burning question is - and will remain - how does the club realistically get to that next level? The 30k Amex comfortably sells out week on week, the club makes humungous profits on players by astute buying and selling while paying comparatively modest wages by EPL standards. What kick-starts the concerted push to the next level? There's a valid conversation to be had there. And one I strongly suspect RDZ will be having with TB sooner rather than later
I keep having a fantasy that the builders will be round at the end of the season to triple the size of the North Stand. I have a feeling, perhaps an irrational feeling, that all the while our North Stand looks tin pot, we will never go up to the next level.

I agree with your main points. That conversation will be fascinating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here