RBS and Lloyds about to go through the floor

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
f***!! Anyone got stocks in either of these, cos theres expected to be losses of 20-35% (prob more when everyone starts panic selling) off the value of these two- when the re-valuation happens- on tuesday morning when the the LSE opens (due to stock being precariously hiked up in price), i bought into these two as recovery shares and low and behold i've made 100%on RBS and 50% Lloyds.

But anyone else got a holding in these or any other shares?

not sure whether to cut and run now.

i know this i footy chatroom not ft.com but worth an ask.

:nono::nono::nono:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I have got quite a few LTSB shares and will just sit on them until they get back up to a good rate, may take years but better than taking a loss on them.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...I was thinking of getting onto banking shares, particularly RBS, they won't be down for ever!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
...I was thinking of getting onto banking shares, particularly RBS, they won't be down for ever!

true, the hope is they'll eventually bounce back to what they were over a yr ago, which was around 300p- same with lloyds, 6 times what it is now and and 10 times what i got in at, but its really a waiting game and if you dont mind seeing the money for a few years.

im just not whether to sell at a profit then buy back once they've fallen 50%

any way i reccommmend you look at them, but not right now, 57p is thought to be a rip off in there current position, 40p is probably a more realistic value, but if i was you i'd way for them to drop at least 20%

good luck :thumbsup:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
If you can afford to sit and wait it out then do so. As Gully said they will not be down for ever and will eventually get back to something like they were. However this will be a long slow process as the public need to regain their trust in the banking system.

If you need the money in the next few years I would sell.*

*This is my personal opinion and is not based on any expertise or insider knowledge. As such is worthless.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've got Lloyds Banking Group shares that have been kicking around since my parents died as well as those converted from the acquisition of HBOS.

Just planning to sit on them for the time being.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Thanks for the tip Derby, I will watch them this week and see how they do, could be a good time to dabble in the market again...it has been a while!

I suppose the old saying must apply here, never invest more money than you are prepared to lose...I can speak from experience here, having invested in a number of companies that went belly up (Screen and Jarvis spring immediately to mind).

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
f***!! Anyone got stocks in either of these, cos theres expected to be losses of 20-35% (prob more when everyone starts panic selling) off the value of these two- when the re-valuation happens- on tuesday morning when the the LSE opens (due to stock being precariously hiked up in price), i bought into these two as recovery shares and low and behold i've made 100%on RBS and 50% Lloyds.

But anyone else got a holding in these or any other shares?

not sure whether to cut and run now.

i know this i footy chatroom not ft.com but worth an ask.

:nono::nono::nono:

i hold a fair amount in Griffin mining who are due to release a trading update this week.... watch them rocket

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I can speak from experience here, having invested in a number of companies that went belly up (Screen and Jarvis spring immediately to mind).

me too with victoria oil and gas VOG. i made 100% on them, sold, then bought back in at 100p, last time i checked, they were 6p :US:

still win some lose some and if i hold long enough and they strike alot of oil, and survive a court case, then maybe i'll break even :annoyed:

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
i hold a fair amount in Griffin mining who are due to release a trading update this week.... watch them rocket

fingers crossed, the oil and mining companies have the potential to make a killing (Cairn energy springs to mind), but they also have the potential to screw you over like VOG.

good luck with Griffin, i'll watch out for them

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
fingers crossed, the oil and mining companies have the potential to make a killing (Cairn energy springs to mind), but they also have the potential to screw you over like VOG.

good luck with Griffin, i'll watch out for them
I'd take that with a pinch of salt, like most things that comes out of the Mail.

Sure, these shares are volitile, but and over the past few months have dropped by half, then doubled and doubled again. They are all over the place so its just a guess by the mail.

One thing I would say though, is that's it's been prved that no bank will go under. So in theory given time these shares will go back to previous levels. The only way you can get caught out on them, is it one of them gets taken over, but again, very unlikely to happen as the Lloyds takeover should never have gone through, and wouldn't have been allowed under normal conditions, so the odds of another takeover happening is almost zero.

One other thing to bear in mind, is the Mail's bullshit writing, to make things sound better or worse than what they are.

For example QUOTE - "Following the spectacular run, the combined value of the two banks now stands at over £60billion and is steadily closing in on their 2007 peak. "

Well. LLoyds are around 110p now, their 2007 PEAK was 450p, and RBS are around 55p against a 2007 peak of 600p so to say they are steadly closing in, after months of climbs and falls is a bit like saying Brighton are closing in on the premiershit. SOunds good to someone whose just browsing the article, but sounds downright stupid comments to make to someone who's been following these shares over the past year.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I'd take that with a pinch of salt, like most things that comes out of the Mail.

Sure, these shares are volitile, but and over the past few months have dropped by half, then doubled and doubled again. They are all over the place so its just a guess by the mail.

One thing I would say though, is that's it's been prved that no bank will go under. So in theory given time these shares will go back to previous levels. The only way you can get caught out on them, is it one of them gets taken over, but again, very unlikely to happen as the Lloyds takeover should never have gone through, and wouldn't have been allowed under normal conditions, so the odds of another takeover happening is almost zero.

One other thing to bear in mind, is the Mail's bullshit writing, to make things sound better or worse than what they are.

For example QUOTE - "Following the spectacular run, the combined value of the two banks now stands at over £60billion and is steadily closing in on their 2007 peak. "

Well. LLoyds are around 110p now, their 2007 PEAK was 450p, and RBS are around 55p against a 2007 peak of 600p so to say they are steadly closing in, after months of climbs and falls is a bit like saying Brighton are closing in on the premiershit. SOunds good to someone whose just browsing the article, but sounds downright stupid comments to make to someone who's been following these shares over the past year.

i think you're right the Mail or Credit suisse, are just trying throw a spanner into the works, even though these two banks are in deep shit (the stock market in general is, up and down like a tarts knickers), i bought into them with the full intention of riding the storm (hopefully no more than two years). Though both these banks SP's have been driven up on seniment -and nothing to do with them clearing out any of their toxic debt, which ther's shit loads of- i bought into them for the very reason that if the government has bailed them out, then there is no chance they'll go bust, on the contrary the governement is only holding onto them until they have got themselves in shape (though it wont be that simple) and can then sell them for a profit. I like many on here will continue to hold until rosier times. But thanks for the insight Burns!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that it is criminal that shareholders in banks that have been bailed out by the government should be able to receive dividends on their shares. I believe that when they asked the government to bail them out their shares should have become worthless and compulsory purchsed by the government as a condition of the assistance given. Shareholders are prepared to accept the dividends and should also be prepared to accept the losses that the bank incurred..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so you've turned one analysts opinion that the shares will drop 50% "in the coming months" into they will crash on Tueesday. :tosser:

generally the value of a companies share do not follow the opinions published in the Daily Outrage. they have risen because much of the bad debt is written off. The fundementals remain unchanged from a month, two or three months ago, so what this analyst is doing is speculating the price will fall, hoping that mugs like you will dump their shares so they can buy them up cheap and sell them at the end of the week for more than they are Friday. might get themselves a a few % fall
on the back of this, which is all they need to make a killing.

if you are expecting them to go up in the long term, keep hold and ignore such silliness. fact is once they have restored their balance sheets in next year or two much of the "toxic" debt will be starting to show as profitable after all and their multiples will rise back inline with the rest of the sector.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
so you've turned one analysts opinion that the shares will drop 50% "in the coming months" into they will crash on Tueesday. :tosser:

generally the value of a companies share do not follow the opinions published in the Daily Outrage. they have risen because much of the bad debt is written off. The fundementals remain unchanged from a month, two or three months ago, so what this analyst is doing is speculating the price will fall, hoping that mugs like you will dump their shares so they can buy them up cheap and sell them at the end of the week for more than they are Friday. might get themselves a a few % fall on the back of this, which is all they need to make a killing.

Hope you're right!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports