Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
..........FC Zurich seem happy to gamble with his life for £10m......

I think it was the other way around - they got the £10M and we gambled with his life. Also, I wonder if they deliberately delayed the deal until the window was almost closed in order to force us to accept damaged goods, knowing we'd have nowhere else to go?

Aug 23, 2011
In some ways, other than for his sake medically, you hope that Brighton will be proved correct and thus make those people eat their words. I would think it was a decision based on medical advice and insurance availability for him.

Man Utd pulled out of the van nistelrooy deal a year before they signed him because of concerns about a knee issue/injury, and days later he got injured. Its not exactly uncommon

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Nope :shrug: I simply saw the headline and then read the article to find out that the headline was a load of crap. I'd say the same of any paper doing the same.
Since the club haven't commented about Zurich's accusation, then what else would you call it?

The club have commented on it. To the Argus. Off the record.
"The Argus understands they are shocked and concerned by his reaction."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The club have commented on it. To the Argus. Off the record.
"The Argus understands they are shocked and concerned by his reaction."
So not fuming then.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fuming: "be furious, be enraged, be angry, seethe, smoulder, simmer, boil, be livid, be incensed"
Quite different to shocked and concerned.

I won the lottery again last week and I was shocked. I wouldn't say I was angry though.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Quite different to shocked and concerned.

I won the lottery again last week and I was shocked. I wouldn't say I was angry though.

Barber, i'm guessing, was on the phone to Naylor and probably said and communicated all that stuff in a brief conversation. (shock, anger, concern). Hardly a suprise is it given what happened. But Off the record. For obvious reasons.
And the Argus reported it in their normal house style.
"The Argus understands...". and one of their clickbaity headlines.

If you think its misrepresenting the club or how they feel then fair enough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Barber, i'm guessing, was on the phone to Naylor and probably said and communicated all that stuff in a brief conversation. (shock, anger, concern).
But there's no suggestion he said anything about anger.

"The Argus understands...". and one of their clickbaity headlines.
It's the clickbaity headline I'm criticising. It's not like I don't criticise papers like the Daily Mail for the same sort of thing.

I'm shocked you bothered to do it again after your last jackpot prize?
Why are you angry with me?

Sadly not the jackpot, just over a grand each time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But there's no suggestion he said anything about anger.

Er, there is. Its a very likely account (given that Barber/the club was accused in public of being "unprofessional" and "amateur") of an off the record conversation reacting to it and there is suggestion that he was angry in the headline because anger is a synonym of "fuming".
How do you think Barber or a "club representative" would have responded in an off the record conversation. :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How do you think Barber or a "club representative" would have responded in an off the record conversation. :)
If it was off the record, then the Argus shouldn't say anything about it. That's the whole point of it being off the record. Regardless of that, I would expect the club to pass on whatever feeling they wanted to, they wouldn't accidentally show anger as if they were in the pub with a mate.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
It will be interesting to watch the fall out from his failed medical test. He's pulled out of the Ghana squad but is in training and waiting for further tests in Switzerland. The Swiss say that they had looked carefully at his test results and thought it was a non- serious abnormality. In my experience Swiss medicine and biomedical science is amongst the best in the world. It has been reported that he was one of our major targets. How are we going to feel if he carries on playing and scoring goals?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It will be interesting to watch the fall out from his failed medical test. He's pulled out of the Ghana squad but is in training and waiting for further tests in Switzerland. The Swiss say that they had looked carefully at his test results and thought it was a non- serious abnormality. In my experience Swiss medicine and biomedical science is amongst the best in the world. It has been reported that he was one of our major targets. How are we going to feel if he carries on playing and scoring goals?

I think we would feel pleased for the player.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

He might. Or he might suffer a serious heart problem in his first competitive game. The point is that, even if he doesn't experience a problem, we were right not to gamble £10million on him. I hope he does take the results of our medical seriously, nobody wants this story to end as Cheick Tiote case where he dies on the pitch.

Remember when Man Utd pulled out of the deal to sign Ruud Van Nistelrooy? PSV were in complete disagreement about the knee injury Man Utd had detected, so they filmed and broadcast his next training session with them. His knee erupts and he's lying on the ground screaming. It could have gone the other way, he could have banged in the goals and made United look stupid but their concern was still justified.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He might. Or he might suffer a serious heart problem in his first competitive game. The point is that, even if he doesn't experience a problem, we were right not to gamble £10million on him. I hope he does take the results of our medical seriously, nobody wants this story to end as Cheick Tiote case where he dies on the pitch.

Remember when Man Utd pulled out of the deal to sign Ruud Van Nistelrooy? PSV were in complete disagreement about the knee injury Man Utd had detected, so they filmed and broadcast his next training session with them. His knee erupts and he's lying on the ground screaming. It could have gone the other way, he could have banged in the goals and made United look stupid but their concern was still justified.

Let's hope we go back for him when he is given the all clear/or fixed like Man Utd returned for Van Nistelrooy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here