Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
For all of you who are interested what happened with Raphael Dwamena since he is back in Zürich.

The medical findings that were obtained last January could be confirmed during the new medical check. Raphael is back in training since August 31st.

Regarding the comments of the FC Zürich president when he labelled your management amateurish: he criticized the way of communication as amateurish and unprofessional - and not the decision of your medical staff. His main points were that Brighton first unilaterally announced the transfer and that FCZ was caught off-guard and more importantly that somebody of the club against the rules of medical secret shared that Raphael Dwamena supposedly has a heart issue.

Anyways, wish your team good luck in your first PL season!

Yes, many thanks for clarifying why the FCZ President was moved to make those comments. In reality all 3 parties (4 if you include the Agent) are the losers in this situation and I am glad to hear that Raphael is back in training and able to resume his career with FCZ.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'll hazard a guess the reason the club went for targets 'playing in the weaker European leagues' is because it believed them to be better 'value' (cheaper).
Maybe they hoped those teams didn't know about the £120m windfall the club had just received :shrug:

I don't have a problem with that, TBH I was more excited by this potential signing than I ever was with Janssen.

In January the club faces exactly the same problem again, only in all likelihood they'll be coming at it from an even weaker position, which in turn will cost them even more money.

I'll wager a considerable sum of money there's a little voice in the back of the minds of at least 2 people sat at the top table saying 'shite why didn't we just buy players x, y or z, over the last 4 windows'.

I'd say that was very doubtful indeed

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
For all of you who are interested what happened with Raphael Dwamena since he is back in Zürich.

The medical findings that were obtained last January could be confirmed during the new medical check. Raphael is back in training since August 31st.

Regarding the comments of the FC Zürich president when he labelled your management amateurish: he criticized the way of communication as amateurish and unprofessional - and not the decision of your medical staff. His main points were that Brighton first unilaterally announced the transfer and that FCZ was caught off-guard and more importantly that somebody of the club against the rules of medical secret shared that Raphael Dwamena supposedly has a heart issue.

It was FC Zurich's own twitter account which first broke the news of a failed medical, not BHA.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I thought it was the FC Zurich president that announced the issues with the medical, as far as I can see that's where the first news that the deal was off came from. Or have I missed something?

scipio

Sep 3, 2017
It was FC Zurich's own twitter account which first broke the news of a failed medical, not BHA.

I thought it was the FC Zurich president that announced the issues with the medical, as far as I can see that's where the first news that the deal was off came from. Or have I missed something?

It might have been that FCZ announced first that Dwamena did not pass the medical, I can't remember the actual timeline. I think that both clubs agree that this information is OK to share with the public. However, the FCZ president was not happy that somebody shared information that Dwamena failed medicals due to a heart issue. He thinks that this is personal information that should not be out in the public and that it should be subject to the medical secret.

To avoid any confusion, in my comment the part about "unilaterally announced the transfer" was not related to the failed medicinal test, but to the beginning when the transfer was first announced. Apparently, some officials at FCZ were not happy that BHA announced the transfer at such an early stage.

Appreciate your update. It seems miscommunication was a factor in this debacle, which in itself is unprofessional as your president says. Maybe both sides can learn from this.

Yes, many thanks for clarifying why the FCZ President was moved to make those comments. In reality all 3 parties (4 if you include the Agent) are the losers in this situation and I am glad to hear that Raphael is back in training and able to resume his career with FCZ.

Absolutely. I hope you will find (or have found) a good replacement for Dwamena.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It might have been that FCZ announced first that Dwamena did not pass the medical, I can't remember the actual timeline. I think that both clubs agree that this information is OK to share with the public. However, the FCZ president was not happy that somebody shared information that Dwamena failed medicals due to a heart issue. He thinks that this is personal information that should not be out in the public and that it should be subject to the medical secret.

To avoid any confusion, in my comment the part about "unilaterally announced the transfer" was not related to the failed medicinal test, but to the beginning when the transfer was first announced. Apparently, some officials at FCZ were not happy that BHA announced the transfer at such an early stage.

Absolutely. I hope you will find (or have found) a good replacement for Dwamena.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but again you are incorrect. FC Zurich's own website announced a deal had been struck on 21st August, Brighton then issued a statement to confirm this.

The nature of our Owner's other business interests ensure that our Standard Operating Procedures are watertight when dealing with sporting information. Any Brighton fan or local journalist will testify to a paucity of information being leaked from the club since Tony Bloom took over.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
You can see now why clubs don't want to comment on transfer speculation. Why would any club (unless they're a PLC), release a statement to say that they've agreed terms with a club and player, when the transfer is still subject to a medical, immigration and international clearance?

Why not leave it until it's a done deal? Am I missing something really simple here?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It wasn't Brighton that announced it. It almost never is, our club don't like leaking these things, and looking at the thread suggests it was Zurich this time round.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As fans, we would obviously have liked to have known why Dwamena failed the medical. This was going to be our most expensive striker ever by a long long way. Wishful thinking that the details of this would not come out.

Perhaps if FCZ had not leaked the original interest, the medical could have been kept quiet too?

scipio

Sep 3, 2017
It wasn't Brighton that announced it. It almost never is, our club don't like leaking these things, and looking at the thread suggests it was Zurich this time round.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from, but again you are incorrect. FC Zurich's own website announced a deal had been struck on 21st August, Brighton then issued a statement to confirm this.

The nature of our Owner's other business interests ensure that our Standard Operating Procedures are watertight when dealing with sporting information. Any Brighton fan or local journalist will testify to a paucity of information being leaked from the club since Tony Bloom took over.

I have to disagree. Both forums, this one and the forum of FCZ, first mention the official website of BHA as the source for the transfer. On my twitter BHA tweeted at 9.30, FCZ at 10.43 (I guess +6 or +7 in your time zone).

But it doesn't matter. I don't want to argue. I just wanted to give people an update on Dwamena's health and clarify what the president of FCZ actually said and in what context it was said.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Perhaps the FC Zurich's president is a bit of a knob?

I think this is the most likely scenario. The Albion have done nothing wrong apart from exercise due diligence.

Dwamena missed Ghana's WC qualifier on Friday as according to Ghanaweb sources:

"Dwamena asked to be excused in order to seek a second opinion in Europe after failing a medical test in connection with his move to English Premiership side Brighton last week
."

Seems to me the lad ought to be grateful this issue was highlighted as should his club. It'll be interesting to see how his second opinion turns out.

scipio

Sep 3, 2017

I have to disagree with you. If you check twitter BHA announced more than an hour prior to FCZ. If you check the forums of both clubs, both first mention the BHA website as the source for the transfer.

As fans, we would obviously have liked to have known why Dwamena failed the medical. This was going to be our most expensive striker ever by a long long way. Wishful thinking that the details of this would not come out.

Perhaps if FCZ had not leaked the original interest, the medical could have been kept quiet too?

Of course fans want to know and it is hard to keep a secret. But in the end we should respect Dwamenas privacy, especially when it comes to something as personal as medical information. From the early articles when this was still a rumor, FCZ never confirmed that BHA is interested. The only info the president confirmed was that there are offers for Dwamena - and that there is an offer from an English club.

Seems to me the lad ought to be grateful this issue was highlighted as should his club. It'll be interesting to see how his second opinion turns out.

He was checked again, as advised by the club, and the check up confirmed what has been known since this January. He is back in training with the team since August 31st.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I wish Raphael all the luck in the World, and hope he goes on to have a very happy, and healthy career. A top striker for you, and may that continue.

As for how my club handled it, I'm not so blinkered as to be unable to criticise my own club. I think we did handle this one uncharacteristically poorly. The current team have been excellent at keeping transfers completely under wraps until we actually see the transfer being unveiled. As you say in later posts, it does appear that we broke this story, and unfortunately did so before the medical was completed. Maybe an agent was about to leak the story, maybe we felt under pressure to announce a striker, but whatever the reason, I've been very pleased with our recent approach of NOT announcing these deals until they are done.

To then reveal details of the medical which may impact his own career doesn't put us in a great light either, IMHO. These things are not always black and white, we haven't found evidence of a knee operation he'd tried to conceal, or found there to be no ligaments left in his knee. We've found a potential problem which may or may not cause a bigger problem later. A second opinion on the likelihood of this developing into anything serious could very well give a different prognosis. I don't see it was our place to announce that he's failed a medical due to a heart condition. Simply "the transfer has fallen through" is perfectly adequate, and there would be no reason to cowtail to the subsequent calls of "we have a right to know what went wrong" because we don't.

Maybe the Premier League brings more media scrutiny, maybe we felt more under pressure than usual to bring in signings, especially when that elusive striker remained, elusive. But this window, my criticism is that we seemed to step backwards from the recent approach of announcing nothing until we were ready to release that picture of them holding up a shirt. That's a pity as I liked the professionalism of keeping our dealings under wraps.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I think this is the most likely scenario. The Albion have done nothing wrong apart from exercise due diligence.

Dwamena missed Ghana's WC qualifier on Friday as according to Ghanaweb sources:

"Dwamena asked to be excused in order to seek a second opinion in Europe after failing a medical test in connection with his move to English Premiership side Brighton last week
."

if the second opinion goes in the players's favour, we should be able to resurrect the transfer imo

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
To then reveal details of the medical which may impact his own career doesn't put us in a great light either, IMHO. These things are not always black and white, we haven't found evidence of a knee operation he'd tried to conceal, or found there to be no ligaments left in his knee. We've found a potential problem which may or may not cause a bigger problem later. A second opinion on the likelihood of this developing into anything serious could very well give a different prognosis. I don't see it was our place to announce that he's failed a medical due to a heart condition. Simply "the transfer has fallen through" is perfectly adequate, and there would be no reason to cowtail to the subsequent calls of "we have a right to know what went wrong" because we don't.

:moo:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

scipio

Sep 3, 2017

Yes, but that is a rumor not an official announcement of a transfer. It translates to "Blick has obtained information England, that BHA is interested in Dwamena." The president of FCZ confirms multiple offers for Dwamena, including one from England, without mentioning BHA or any other club explicitly.

The first official announcement of the transfer was made by BHA on twitter and on the BHA website (post 282 or so in this thread, 21. August, 16:30).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here