Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In some ways, other than for his sake medically, you hope that Brighton will be proved correct and thus make those people eat their words. I would think it was a decision based on medical advice and insurance availability for him.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's an amazing coincidence that all these people who stand to make an absolute fortune out of Dwamena think his heart condition is no problem at all. Much better placed to judge than a Cardiac Consultant with no vested interest.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's an amazing coincidence that all these people who stand to make an absolute fortune out of Dwamena think his heart condition is no problem at all. Much better placed to judge than a Cardiac Consultant with no vested interest.

Exactly.

Unbelievably poor behaviour by Zurich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Argus' use of the word 'fuming'. They seem to understand its meaning perfectly well.
They say the Albion are fuming (great anger, from the definition you provided), and then go on to say that the Albion haven't actually said anything, but the Argus understands they're shocked and concerned. How is shocked and concerned (which itself is only hearsay) great anger?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
They say the Albion are fuming (great anger, from the definition you provided), and then go on to say that the Albion haven't actually said anything, but the Argus understands they're shocked and concerned. How is shocked and concerned (which itself is only hearsay) great anger?

Bloody hell, you are manically desperate to criticise the Argus, aren't you? How do you know it's only hearsay?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I know, through my wife, the cardiac consultant who flagged up Goldsons problem &, most likely, Dwamenas. If he saying theres a problem then thats good enough for me, & am happy for the club to pull out of the deal. I have no knowledge of what was found out before anyone asks (thats between him, the clubs & the player), but I would rather try to find someone else than sign Dwamena, & possibly have a medical issue during a game....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
See synonyms........be angry, seethe, smoulder, simmer. Can't see your problem to be honest.

Anyway, I don't have one with it; I'm happy - and staying that way.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bloody hell, you are manically desperate to criticise the Argus, aren't you?
Nope :shrug: I simply saw the headline and then read the article to find out that the headline was a load of crap. I'd say the same of any paper doing the same.
How do you know it's only hearsay?
Since the club haven't commented about Zurich's accusation, then what else would you call it?

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
FC Zurich were aware of a problem but did not think it too serious. They should have informed Brighton about this as it would have shown up, as it did, when Brighton conducted their medical.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Are we being over zealous ? too cautious ? concerned about our insurance policies ? Either way it seems strange that we have had two serious medical failures this year. Every body is different and this guy had numerous medicals in Switzerland this year and then scored 30 goals . The more i read the more i think we could have played this differently - he was our big hope for goals . The Swiss doctors agree there is a deviation from standard however everyone is different .So I am very cynical about this farce and do not believe we have had the whole truth about this -- anyway read this : From the Zurich site ( if you havent already). This is already looking like a key moment in the season.

The transfer from Raphael Dwamena to Brighton & Hove Albion has not been completed. Due to the medical check, the English club has withdrawn its offer,” a statement on the Club’s website reads.

“We are very surprised at this decision. Naturally, we also had a medical examination carried out by the Schulthess Clinic before the change from Raphael to FC Zurich. There the same deviation from the standard was determined.

“However, this fact has been judged as being neither harmful to health nor compromising the performance of a top sportsman. The fact that deviations occur in such medical tests in the field of top sport is not uncommon.

“However, they are analyzed individually and checked for their medical consequences. Whether a change in the medical situation has actually occurred in the last eight months is now being examined.

So does anyone know precisely what this deviation might be ? Any cardiac consultants out there ? Was this the same as Connor Goldson - an enlarged aorta I think ?

mmmm - all a bit weird

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The club obviously had a few options, sign the player and hope he doesn't have a heart related issue during his time here. Try to negotiate a future deal once he has had the corrective surgery. Negotiate a new deal now and nurse the player back through his recovery which may not be successful. Or pull out from the deal and look for an alternative.

FC Zurich seem happy to gamble with his life for £10m, we probably investigated the other possible routes but the money grabbers didn't want anything other than loadsa money.

We've made a sensible choice from a financial position but like Connorr Goldson once treated should make a full recovery, I'm slightly gutted we couldn't negotiate a deal to sign once he has come through

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
FC Zurich were aware of a problem but did not think it too serious. They should have informed Brighton about this
Exactly. That's what's amateurish. If they had said up front about whatever the condition is, we could have made a judgement then, rather than give the player false hope.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are we being over zealous ? too cautious ? concerned about our insurance policies ? Either way it seems strange that we have had two serious medical failures this year.
Given that the first one, Neto, went on to have knee surgery, then no, we're not being too cautious.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Are we being over zealous ? too cautious ? concerned about our insurance policies ?

I normally buy a new car for about £12k but because I have come into some money I am going to buy one for £80k. I found one which was perfect but as it is a big cost I decided to get a professional to check it out before I signed the paperwork and committed to buy it. My professional found a issue with the spark plugs. He said it might be ok but if it failed it wouldn't be covered by the warranty. It might of course never fail but there is a small possibly it might when I am driving down a busy motorway at 70mph in the outside lane.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could add that Ralph hasn't been released for international duty, as they conduct further checks
Indeed, we'll (fans) continue to watch what happens with Dwamena. Surely we could have given the results of the tests to Zurich and they could have had experts look at them that day. The fact that he's still not available suggests there's more to it than Zurich are admitting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here