Raf

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
a mate is looking to join RAF and is now high up in the ATC it can help your cause if you want to join, look good on CV etc, show u have discipline and stuff, but with only 5 months befor eyu want to join RAF there is little you would be able to do in ATC obviously im nt an expert though so yeah Junior would be able to give you better advice

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
1066 - yep, the RAF is definitely for you. You could make a really great career of it, depending on which trade you wanted to pick up. I would forget the other two services, and set your sights on the light blue. Sign up for Air Cadets, then keep pushing. Nice uniform, better pay than the other two services, more birds, more time off, I heard a rumour they even give you free beer once a week when you are old enough. Don't delay, sign up today!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
fatbadger said:
I grew up around the RAF. My dad and my stepdad, my grandad, cousins and my granny (WRAF) were all raffies. As a child I lived in Mareham, Wildenrath, Lossiemouth, Coningsby and Sleaford (near to Cranwell), and I was born in Ely. Classic RAF upbringing.

I never even contemplated going in.

'Nuff said.

When was your dad at Cranwell? I was based there from '83 to '86

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
pasty said:
When was your dad at Cranwell? I was based there from '83 to '86

I now have visions of a sizeable minority of NSC users having handlebar moustaches.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Think you may be setting your sets somewhat high 1066.

I was in 7 years as a chef and got around the world, Everyone in the Raf wants to know a chef. Start there if I was you!

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
A van der Meyde said:
junior is on

On what?:lolol:

I guess you mean your not old enough to join the Raf for another 5 months,am i right?
If that is the case i wouldnt bother joining the ATC.You wont do much in 5 months,your better off just waiting.Use the time to do some research into what you want to do in the Raf,there are so many different trades available.

This is what i do,if you dont fancy that,use the link to look for other trades you might be interested in.
http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_files/jobfile_raf_regiment_gunner.cfm

You can use the next 5 months to get your fitness up,you dont have to be megga fit when you join up,but you have to be willing to get fitter because you will.(i have to get up and run 16 k'ms in the morning!!!)

If you decide on a trade and want to know what's involved,then ask me and i might be able to help,but to be honest in my job we dont realy have much to do with the rest of the Air Force so i dont have encyclopedic knowledge.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Alternatively visit your local Armed Forces Career Office (AFCO) and ask to speak with a member of the Royal Air Force, they will be able to advise you what trades/branches are open for recruitment, what the age and educational requirements are and much else besides.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Gully said:
Alternatively visit your local Armed Forces Career Office (AFCO) and ask to speak with a member of the Royal Air Force, they will be able to advise you what trades/branches are open for recruitment, what the age and educational requirements are and much else besides.

I was just going to say that.Even though you are not old enough to sign on the dotted line,you can still go to your local AFCO and speak to someone,and probably set the wheels in motion.
Put on some smart clothes,have a shave and go and chat to someone there.I dont know where you live but the Brighton one is just up the road from the Albion shop on the opposite side of the road.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
This might be useful if your not sure what you can do in the Raf.

Go down the bottom and put in what qualifications you have (or expect to have if your still at school),and it will give you a list of different jobs you can do within the Raf.

1066gull

Cheers Junior.

One thing I forgot to mention is I still want to do Uni. I heard of the RAF sponsorship, and it looks unlikely I would be sponsored iof I done my chosen latter career ion graphics design, but I learnt that the RAF like to know what we want to do afterwards....

So does that mean I cannot apply to officially join after Uni?

Also, I no I am agaisnt odds, I have been all my life but I am working towards to being a Pilot. My preferred aircraft that I would love to fly is the Hawk, I checked my qualification requirements and if all goes well in A-Levels I should have my 2 A's that they want. I have got 6 GCSE's with the English Language and Maths they wanted so it all looks well so far.

So going back to the original question, as I am still wanting to do Uni first, do I join the ATC or not, because I won't be able to train until I have completed Uni. Sponsored or not sponsored, I am still planning to join the RAF as soon as I have completed Uni.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports