Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radar Speed Cameras

I didn't say I was doing 32 mph when I saw them I was but according to my son they catch you before they are visible to you, and by the time that you see them it is too late, that is my whole point of it being unfair.

Seriously mate, get a grip. how can it be unfair?

I've been done 3 times now, on one occasion the git was hiding in a bush on Broad Street in Cuckfield.

If you're speeding you're speeding, end of.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I didn't say I was doing 32 mph when I saw them I was but according to my son they catch you before they are visible to you, and by the time that you see them it is too late, that is my whole point of it being unfair.

firstly, they cant catch you before you can see them, they cant do radar round corners. secondly, this unfair thing is a bit like saying its unfair catching a shop lifter because they couldnt see the camera.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
firstly, they cant catch you before you can see them, they cant do radar round corners. secondly, this unfair thing is a bit like saying its unfair catching a shop lifter because they couldnt see the camera.

:lolol:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Great post:bowdown:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How long does it take if you are getting a speeding fine, I went through a traffic camera last Sunday at around 35mph in Lancing which was a 30mph area and it flashed at me.

A notice of intended prosecution has to be sent to you within fourteen days.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to people I have spoken to the camera clicks as you go around the bend at the top of Northlands Ave that is why they position it at the end of the parking lay by. Irrespective of other peoples opinion I think that it is unethical the manner in which it is done and if prosecuted I will write to Nick Freeman (Mr Lophole ) for guidance not that I can afford his service but he may tell me of some long lost legislation or rules on the use of these camera, Mind you he might say get stuffed but that is the chance I take for the cost of a 2nd class stamp.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What you fail to grasp here, BG, apart from the fact that you're the one who's apparently broken the law here, not the police, is that the speed sites that are most frequently used are designated because they are the areas where people take the piss, and which receive the most complaints from residents about speeding motorists. I'll tell you for free that the road through Northlands Wood, being wide and quite a steep hill in places, is an absolute hotspot for it, people go tanking down there with great regularity. The residents, not unreasonably, get quite upset about this, seeing as it's designated as a 30mph limit with houses in all directions, shops, a playground area and (I think) a school not a million miles away. I'm also fairly sure that there has been at least one fatal accident on that stretch.

Because of media reporting, you could be forgiven for thinking that your average Joe sits at home worrying about being murdered, raped or burgled. Whereas when surveys are done asking people what causes them the most annoyance in their everyday lives, it's inevitably things like dog shit, graffiti, cyclists on the pavement, and speeding motorists. I'm confident you'd be the first to complain if drivers were hammering it down wherever it is you live. We go where the public have asked us to go. We don't have targets, or quotas, contrary to popular myth. If we had the time, there are many, many more sites where residents are begging us to check speeders: perhaps rather than feeling hard done by, you should consider yourself fortunate that you haven't been busted on any of the other roads you've exceeded the limit on.

Man up, take it on the chin and take a look at your speedo every now and again. Or, if you'd prefer to drive at your own chosen speed, feel free, just don't whine about it when you get caught.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks EK I fully accept that I was possibly in the wrong but I still cannot come to terms with the manner in which it is achieved and it begs the question of what is the police prime job to catch offenders or reduce the actual number of offenses.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks EK I fully accept that I was possibly in the wrong but I still cannot come to terms with the manner in which it is achieved and it begs the question of what is the police prime job to catch offenders or reduce the actual number of offenses.

The manner? How do you think they should do it then?

And will you speed next time you go down that road, in the knowledge that there might be speed enforcement going on there? I'm guessing you won't, and nor will the majority of others who've been busted, ergo they have already reduced the number of offenders.

For what it's worth, a basic knowledge of physics should tell you that the laser used for speed checks is a beam of light, and that light always travels in a straight line, therefore they don't have a cunning and devious means of catching you around a bend. They just spot you when you come into view, long before you spot them, because like most drivers, you limit your vision to an area no more than about twenty metres in front of your car.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You do post some absolute crap sometimes BG.
You were doing over the speed limit, you were clocked, you are guilty.
You either accept the 3 points and fine and an increase on you insurance, or you pay for a speed awareness course and keep a clean license.
You can write to Mr Lophole (as you called him, but he might take offence at his new name), or the European Court of Human Rights, you will still be found of exceeding
the 30mph speed limit in a built up area.

So to sum it up:

BG thinks it's ok to break the speed limit as long as the Police don't see you and if they do see you they should have given fair warning that a speed trap was there in the first place.

When was the last time you had your bumps felt BG?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
So to sum it up:

BG thinks it's ok to break the speed limit as long as the Police don't see you and if they do see you they should have given fair warning that a speed trap was there in the first place.

When was the last time you had your bumps felt BG?

I think he's been at the hippy kebabs again :facepalm:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Lets put this all in perspective. If and I do say if I was actually doing over 30 which I may have been because when I saw them I looked at my speedo and it was showing 32 but human nature being what it is, as soon as you see a police speed trap you automatically, without consciously thinking take your foot off the accelerator, that is fair enough, but why should that lawyer Mr Loophole (Nick Freeman) be able to find loopholes for stars like David Beckham and Alex Ferguson because they have money why shouldn't it be exploited by the ordinary man if they can find out about it. This is nothing about being high and mighty about knocking over children etc as being what I consider to be a competent experienced driver I drive to the conditions of the road and weather and 1 or 2 mph isn't going to make a significant difference.

I should think it would make a big difference at your age; you should be driving at at least 5 mph under the speed limit to compensate for your slow reaction time.

If you get done just man up and take it on the chin, you're a law breaker

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
BG, if you actually imagine that Nick Freeman gets all his clients off, you're wrong. He does work for "ordinary" people too (or at least ones who have the cash to pay his fat fees just to avoid a £60 speeding fine/3 points ). I've got colleagues who've appeared as witnesses in court when he's been defending, and his clients were found guilty.

You only hear of the high profile cases on the occasions he manages to get them off, because he doesn't plaster the ones he "loses" over his website. Don't think for a second he has a magic wand: if he did, none of these footballers would ever be convicted of anything. And they quite regularly are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just spoken to an old school friend of my sons who is a traffic cop in the Met having transferred from Essex so has had experience of both forces and his view is that no prior warning whatsoever is now required although it was up until a couple of years ago. The chances of Nick Freeman or any other solicitor finding a loophole in the legislation concerning speed cameras is very small as he and others have found loopholes and as soon as they do they are closed. Like Edna he has been opposed by him on behalf of stars but NF has not won one case that he has defended. The papers do not report that he has lost a case only the ones he wins. My sons friend did add that these cameras are now just a money spinnerr for councils who request their use from the police.

So perhaps I will just shut up and accept the points if it happens. I suppose it is divine retribution because in my younger days about 1970 ish I got zapped doing 128.4 on the M23.

My solicitor at the time managed to get me off with 3 points and a £50 fine and no ban, my only other speeding fine. I will say I wouldn't attempt that speed at nearly 70 years old or even at 30 nowadays. So end of subject I will just wait and see what happens.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I thought the M23 opened about 75/76

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here