Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radar Speed Cameras

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
My query will be over the siting of the van with the camera HIDDEN in it, has this ever been challenged. At what distance does it take the photographs

Like others have said if there are speed cameras warning signs around on lamppost etc they do not need to be seen.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just take on the chin, you broke the law take it like a man, you self opinionated old bastard.

If I get done as you say I will accept it after I have ascertained that they have acted correctly and in accordance with the law. I may have been speeding, I may not, I am not sure, but if so why should the police be allowed to circumvent the law to penalize another person. If everybody accepted the police evidence as gospel without question we would be living in a police controlled state like the people in the old iron curtain countries did. Is that what you want?

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I was told it was in excess of 10% + 2 for prosecution. i.e over 35 in a 30mph zone. Some years ago wife got done at 32mph with the old gun and box on the side of the road coming off of the Findon By Pass towards the valley, heading south, which at the time was a notorious trap.

The 10% part is because car speedometers have (at least used to be) a 10% margin of error. Eg your speedo say 30 but actually you maybe doing 33 or 27

People really need to stop thinking they can go 10% faster. It maybe your speedo says 33 but actually your doing 36.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The 10% part is because car speedometers have (at least used to be) a 10% margin of error. Eg your speedo say 30 but actually you maybe doing 33 or 27

People really need to stop thinking they can go 10% faster. It maybe your speedo says 33 but actually your doing 36.

You are always going slower than your speedo says

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
If I get done as you say I will accept it after I have ascertained that they have acted correctly and in accordance with the law. I may have been speeding, I may not, I am not sure, but if so why should the police be allowed to circumvent the law to penalize another person. If everybody accepted the police evidence as gospel without question we would be living in a police controlled state like the people in the old iron curtain countries did. Is that what you want?
Give it a rest old chap, you may or may not have been tugged for speeding ! It's hardly crime of the century. If you get a ticket land on your door matt, just accept it rather than making out its an infringement of your human rights ! Are you John Catt in disguise ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My query will be over the siting of the van with the camera HIDDEN in it, has this ever been challenged. At what distance does it take the photographs

If I get done as you say I will accept it after I have ascertained that they have acted correctly and in accordance with the law. I may have been speeding, I may not, I am not sure, but if so why should the police be allowed to circumvent the law to penalize another person.

why do you think they would be circumventing the law? is this because you are under the mis-apprehension that they have to be visable when they clock you? thats new thing, part of an understanding to fend off accusations of cameras being used to generate cash, and mostly applicable to static cameras. i stand to be corrected by the resident plod, but i dont believe there's no actual law that states the camera has to be visable. its a working practice, a bit like the 10% +2 thing, to make everything seem a bit fairer.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Give it a rest old chap, you may or may not have been tugged for speeding ! It's hardly crime of the century. If you get a ticket land on your door matt, just accept it rather than making out its an infringement of your human rights ! Are you John Catt in disguise ?

I disagree, this is what the police want, a compliant and submissive populace who accept everything they say. Dangerous driving causes accidents, not someone driving slightly faster than a random speed limit set by some jobsworth in an office. If everyone who had been done for a few mph over the limit challenged the fine then the whole system would collapse and we would be better off for it. Imagine a road where everyone drove along looking at their speedometers instead of their surroundings - there would be carnage, but I suppose at least no-one would be done for speeding!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
why do you think they would be circumventing the law? is this because you are under the mis-apprehension that they have to be visable when they clock you? thats new thing, part of an understanding to fend off accusations of cameras being used to generate cash, and mostly applicable to static cameras. i stand to be corrected by the resident plod, but i dont believe there's no actual law that states the camera has to be visable. its a working practice, a bit like the 10% +2 thing, to make everything seem a bit fairer.

Had a quick peek at pepipoo and it appears on first checking that there is in fact no law which says they should be visible this was apparently so but dropped a couple of years ago. If it happens I will investigate it further and deeper and if nothing shows up just accept it but it wont be without a fight.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Had a quick peek at pepipoo and it appears on first checking that there is in fact no law which says they should be visible this was apparently so but dropped a couple of years ago. If it happens I will investigate it further and deeper and if nothing shows up just accept it but it wont be without a fight.

If you've been caught speeding then it is YOU that has broken the law, not the police.
There's nothing left to fight.
END OF!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
They are along this road all the time. Someone at work got caught doing 35mph and got a ticket. To be fair, there are speed camera signs along there so you shouldn't be surprised!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Threads like this are incredible. Firstly, how are you going to challenge the evidence if you havent' a clue whether you were speeding or not. Secondly, why didn't you know what speed you were doing. Whose reponsibility is that?

I disagree, this is what the police want, a compliant and submissive populace who accept everything they say. Dangerous driving causes accidents, not someone driving slightly faster than a random speed limit set by some jobsworth in an office. If everyone who had been done for a few mph over the limit challenged the fine then the whole system would collapse and we would be better off for it. Imagine a road where everyone drove along looking at their speedometers instead of their surroundings - there would be carnage, but I suppose at least no-one would be done for speeding!

I take it you do drive a car. You don't have to have your eyes permanently fixed to the speedo to be aware of what speed you are doing. Or are you one of these drivers who never uses their mirrors and only ever look at the tarmac 30 yrds in front of your car!!! Why would be better off if everyone challenged the penalites and the system broke down. Are you proposing no limits on any road because that's what it seems like!

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Would you still be trying to find a technicality to get off on, if you'd knock over a child that ran out in front of you or maybe someone's pet dog ?
If you'd have been doing "a bit over the limit" on a motorway or dual carriageway, then I suppose it's slightly more acceptable, but in a residential area there is no excuse.
A very good friend of my spent 6 weeks in hospital with numerous broken bones as a child, after he was hit by a car doing "just over the limit" outside his house.
If you'd seen the mess he was in you wouldn't think it so acceptable.
Just pay your fine, take the points and quit trying to make out, it's someone else fault that you can't stick to a speed limit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets put this all in perspective. If and I do say if I was actually doing over 30 which I may have been because when I saw them I looked at my speedo and it was showing 32 but human nature being what it is, as soon as you see a police speed trap you automatically, without consciously thinking take your foot off the accelerator, that is fair enough, but why should that lawyer Mr Loophole (Nick Freeman) be able to find loopholes for stars like David Beckham and Alex Ferguson because they have money why shouldn't it be exploited by the ordinary man if they can find out about it. This is nothing about being high and mighty about knocking over children etc as being what I consider to be a competent experienced driver I drive to the conditions of the road and weather and 1 or 2 mph isn't going to make a significant difference.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How long does it take if you are getting a speeding fine, I went through a traffic camera last Sunday at around 35mph in Lancing which was a 30mph area and it flashed at me.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Lets put this all in perspective. If and I do say if I was actually doing over 30 which I may have been because when I saw them I looked at my speedo and it was showing 32 but human nature being what it is, as soon as you see a police speed trap you automatically, without consciously thinking take your foot off the accelerator, that is fair enough, but why should that lawyer Mr Loophole be able to get stars like David Beckham . Alex Ferguson etc off of speeding fines just because they have money. f the loop hole is there should it not be able to be exploited by the ordinary man if they can find out about it. This is nothing about being high and mighty about knocking over children etc as being what I consider to be a competent experienced driver I drive to the conditions of the road and weather and 1 or 2 mph isnt going to make a significant difference.
You seriously are not going to get nicked for doing 32mph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here