Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queues at Brighton station

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I might try the bus tomorrow night then. Anyone know how long the queues were around 7pm - and how long it takes to get to Falmer?

I wouldn't use the 49 unless you want abit of a walk! It will drop you off at the avenue in Lower Bevendean.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Got to Brighton around 7:00 in what I though was plenty of time. had to join the queue thet went all through the station taxi rank, out of the station and halfway down trafalgar street. Eventually got in to the stattion at about 7:25 and on a train that left Brighton at 7;35 and just about got to stadium as Liverpool went one up.

Were there really people queuing half way down trafalagar street when there's a bus every 3 minutes from the bottom?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I might try the bus tomorrow night then. Anyone know how long the queues were around 7pm - and how long it takes to get to Falmer?

No queues and about 20 mins I reckon. http://www.buses.co.uk

I wouldn't use the 49 unless you want abit of a walk! It will drop you off at the avenue in Lower Bevendean.

That's the 49A. The 49 goes to East Moulsecoomb, it's 10-15 mins walk from there.

Last edited:

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Not being funny, but when we come next tuesday its going to be worse. We wont be allowed on the same train, and we will get priority. If the trains cant handle this, whats it going to be like when you get 35,000?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
As Bozza and myself say if people moved right inside the train and didn't hang around the doors then more people could board so blame your fellow supporters if a train leaves and there is room inside

....or alternatively, the dozen or so hi-vis brigade standing about doing very little at Brighton station on the entrance to platform 8 maybe do their job and move onto the actual platform to assist with boarding process ans carriage capacity assessment..... don't you think?

Why ? Wouldn't it be simpler if people just moved down inside the train. Doesn't need someone in a hi-viz vest to shove people inside a train.

Quite agree - in theory. The problem is that those in the hi-viz vests keep the queue locked behind a gate unable to get at the train - the train which is still half empty. If they don't even let people on the platform, meaning the train leaves while it still has room to fit another (at least) 100 people on, how is that the fault of the fans?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Not being funny, but when we come next tuesday its going to be worse. We wont be allowed on the same train, and we will get priority. If the trains cant handle this, whats it going to be like when you get 35,000?

You won't get priority, you might as well bring your tent!

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I went to the Gillingham game 16k attendance and Sunderland game 17k and both times got off the Haywards Heath train walked accross the platform and got on the train to Falmer with no problems. Im surprised and extra 4k on the attendance caused so many problems unless I was lucky the previous 2 night games.

Lozzi

Sep 14, 2011
Hove
We got to the station at 6.25 and the que was lining up the road out the station. We jumped into taxi that took us to the uni and we walked straight under the bridge. £3 each between 4 of us and only took 5mins. Right result.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
None of us know what to expect on Tuesday to be honest. Hopefully you will be herded up like cattle 2 hours before kickoff and WALKED to the ground whilst the rest of us have some beers.

(And then lose 5-0, be kept locked in "for your own safety" and then miss the train home)

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Tried to catch the bus from St Peters Church for Sunderland game, all buses were full as they passed without stopping, no extra buses at all. Hopeless.

Took the train last night around 18.10 (brighton) took around 10 minutes to board no problems except for queue pushers as there were no stewards minding the queue.

Worth noting communters in suites and women were being allowed through the barriers from the platforms without having to join the queue. Whats going on there then?

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Cockcroft park n ride very busy, and A27 Falmer turn-off, even at 6.10.
Pleased went extra early.
Great vibe about the ground for a special night.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Tried to catch the bus from St Peters Church for Sunderland game, all buses were full as they passed without stopping, no extra buses at all. Hopeless.

Took the train last night around 18.10 (brighton) took around 10 minutes to board no problems except for queue pushers as there were no stewards minding the queue.

Worth noting communters in suites and women were being allowed through the barriers from the platforms without having to join the queue. Whats going on there then?

Selfish carrying 3 piece suites in such crowds.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I got the 6.02 no probs there. Tho people do seem to congregate by the doors. These are the actions of people who do not catch busy trains. Move down? Who'd have thought it?

Made sure I left work at 4 (in London) which got me back to Brighton at 5.15. Sing Li chippy, got changed on the 6.02

Swift half in Dicks then into to the ground.

Mate of mine drove so gave me a lift back to town. Pleasantly surprised at the 10/15 min walk to the Hikers, if its not p1ssing down this is an option to pick up other buses. I will try and avoid driving as I want a drink but if time is against me this is an option and forego the alcohol.

I usually get the train back if on a sat (hang around for a pint or two after the game) or a bus if midweek, tho the "disappearing" due in 5min buses make me angry. As I said before if its 10/15 min fine - dont mind waiting as I know. Its the NOT knowing!

As for Tuesday thats a special day so I have got the day off :clap2:

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
None of us know what to expect on Tuesday to be honest. Hopefully you will be herded up like cattle 2 hours before kickoff and WALKED to the ground whilst the rest of us have some beers.

(And then lose 5-0, be kept locked in "for your own safety" and then miss the train home)

TBH i dont think there will be many police. Nothing is going to happen. So no herding us like cattle.

Why are the queues so long?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
TBH i dont think there will be many police. Nothing is going to happen. So no herding us like cattle.

Why are the queues so long?
They are long because Brighton is a FINE place for a pre-match beer. There are dozens of very good pubs surrounding the main line station, but unfortunately they empty at moreorless the same time.

Improvements to the bus services need to made, and I suspect there needs to be more to see and do AT the stadium to encourage some people to leave the city a bit earlier...

gazzaa2

Feb 28, 2009
Start running more shuttle buses from Brighton centre to the ground - say every 10-15 minutes from 2 hours before kick off. It'd ease congestion on the trains.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll be training it tomorrow but fortunately I have the day off, and will be liquidising some assets in town tomorrow afternoon before the game. Presumably Dirty Leeds have sold out most of their allocation ? In which case, in light of the horror stories on here, I think I'll get the train from Brighton station to the Amex at around 5-ish and continue my afternoon session in DICKS.

As an aside, I was going to use the Mithras House P&R yesterday, but saw at 5.30 that the A27 was already stacking up at Hollingbury. So I binned that idea and parked in Park Road about 100 yards up from the Hikers at 5.40. Was at the stadium for 6, and home afterwards before 10.30.

Lovely.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Either walk down the hill [Trafalgar Street] and get the 24, 25 or 49 bus from St Peters church (if you're at Brighton station).

And if the buses are all rammed at St Peters church then there's a little-used taxi rank there also.

Sorry to say it, but the station is always going to be a shit option for evening matches. Its going to be all about the Plan B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here