Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Queues at Brighton station

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Never seen it like that. I think I missed about four trains, having got in the queue at 6.25pm, eventually getting the 7.08 (just).

Did anyone miss the kick-off? It was looking that way, there were hundreds behind me.

Obviously we're all worried about missing the game, but there old ladies just trying to get home to Lewes etc, having to wait an hour. They weren't happy, and you could understand why. The over-crowding in the train I was on was close to dangerous.

I'm all for looking at this constructively and being solutions-driven, but for a stadium that is supposedly geared to public transport, the rail provision is clearly deficient.

I know about the Falmer platforms, and the issues with longer trains at Lewes. So what can be done for evening games (because it is much more of an issue for evenings). More specials just Brighton-Falmer? A matchday shuttle running every 5/10 minutes?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Never seen it like that. I think I missed about four trains, having got in the queue at 6.25pm, eventually getting the 7.08 (just).

Did anyone miss the kick-off? It was looking that way, there were hundreds behind me.

Obviously we're all worried about missing the game, but there old ladies just trying to get home to Lewes etc, having to wait an hour. They weren't happy, and you could understand why. The over-crowding in the train I was on was close to dangerous.

I'm all for looking at this constructively and being solutions-driven, but for a stadium that is supposedly geared to public transport, the rail provision is clearly deficient.

I know about the Falmer platforms, and the issues with longer trains at Lewes. So what can be done for evening games (because it is much more of an issue for evenings). More specials just Brighton-Falmer? A matchday shuttle running every 5/10 minutes?

The train companies could do a lot more if they really wanted. They could put longer carriages on if they wanted I am sure of it.
The solution is only to allow the first four carriage doors to open at Falmer, and people who are in carriages 5,6,7,8 could walk through. What is the problem with doing that or is it not that simple?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The train companies could do a lot more if they really wanted. They could put longer carriages on if they wanted I am sure of it.
The solution is only to allow the first four carriage doors to open at Falmer, and people who are in carriages 5,6,7,8 could walk through. What is the problem with doing that or is it not that simple?

This is the central point - 'if they wanted'.

Because there's no financial incentive (they have a captive audience at way over capacity at those home match peak times) to do anything, they don't. Or won't.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At least they haven't yet resorted to closing Brighton/Falmer station down on matchdays 'for safety reasons' when the queues get a bit bigger than they'd like. Give it time though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

4 carriage loads walking through a train to get to another carriage to get off? That would take longer than using a four carriage train and sending it back to brighton to load up again.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Its the first time we have had to queue at Brighton station, whether it was because people left earlier last night as it was Liverpool or there was less trains than normal im not sure. We got a train about 6.30 and it wasnt that full which is annoying as there was loads queued up behind us and they could have got more on.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Heard that one of the trains from Brighton only had 3 carriages. What bloody use is that on a match evening?

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The problem you have is it is rush hour so all the trains from London to the South-Coast are running at 12 coach length so very few spare coaches to re-enforce the length of coaches heading along the coastway. Most commuters from London are paying £3500 for their train tickets so of course the train companies will not try to piss them off (well any more than they do anyway)

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke

You must have been one of the lucky ones we got to Brighton Station at 6.30 and only just got to the ground at kick off.

Total shambles!!!

thekinglives

Aug 14, 2010
You must have been one of the lucky ones we got to Brighton Station at 6.30 and only just got to the ground at kick off.

Total shambles!!!

I think you must have been on the same train as me - got to Falmer at 7.39? We were in the front carriage and it still had empty seats when it left Brighton. Really badly organised...

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I joined the queue at Brighton station at just after 6.20 and was on the 6.51 train to falmer. My carriage had more capacity when it left Brighton, there were lots of people bunched up by the doors, but the walkways were clear and I even had an empty seat next to me. If they are going to restrict access to the platforms like this, the station staff really do need to ensure that they get as many people on the train as possible (passenger safety permitting).

What was it like at lewes station? I'll be travelling down from London for all the evening kick-offs so lewes is a viable alternative.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I joined the queue at Brighton station at just after 6.20 and was on the 6.51 train to falmer. My carriage had more capacity when it left Brighton, there were lots of people bunched up by the doors, but the walkways were clear and I even had an empty seat next to me. If they are going to restrict access to the platforms like this, the station staff really do need to ensure that they get as many people on the train as possible (passenger safety permitting).

I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again: Albion fans have to help Albion fans. Bloody well move all the way down into the carriage and give others the chance to get on board.

People standing by the doors when there is ample space further into the carriage is ridiculously selfish.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
The problem you have is it is rush hour so all the trains from London to the South-Coast are running at 12 coach length so very few spare coaches to re-enforce the length of coaches heading along the coastway. Most commuters from London are paying £3500 for their train tickets so of course the train companies will not try to piss them off (well any more than they do anyway)

This, I am afraid is the correct answer. I often travel on the 1908 or 1922 from Brighton to Lewes on a weekday evening and they are often full on departure from Brighton with commuters coming back from London to London Road and Moulsecoomb. This was always going to be an issue midweek, and with Palace coming down from Croydon next Tuesday it is only going to be worse I am afraid!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Total shambles!!!

Couldn't disagree more. It was always going to be like this. You'll have to get there earlier or use another form of transport. The trains were never going to be and never will be the solution.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What was it like at lewes station? I'll be travelling down from London for all the evening kick-offs so lewes is a viable alternative.

I come down from Victoria for evening games and have used both routes. The only reason I went via Brighton last night was because the Lewes train from Victoria was delayed. Whata-mistaka-to-maka! I will deffo be going via Lewes again on Friday. Much, much less busy.

feller

N00b
Aug 13, 2011
Cambridgeshire
I walked through Brighton station at 7:30 on the way to the pub to watch the game. There must have been at least 150 people still queuing for trains. They looked well hacked off. There is no way they made it there for kick off.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Scousers that were waiting at Brighton Station couldn't believe it. They started joining the queue half way down for fear of missing the match. They said they hadn't come all the way from Liverpool to miss the kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here