Queues at Brighton station

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I live about half way up New Church Road.

Getting to The Amex
: Left at 6:30pm and got the bus to Palmeira Square, a quick change to the No.25 and got to the stadium at 7:10pm.

Getting home: After waiting for a bus by the A27 and subsequently giving up after 20mins (I did not want to be involved in a 20 car pile up caused by the idiots trying to pick-up their little darlings in the bus lane).

I went back to the train queue for Brighton station, took about another 20mins before I was on the train. Got into Brighton, walked down to Churchill Square and got the No.1 to Westbourne Villas and was home by 10:40pm

Apart from MY mistake thinking I could get a bus back from the stadium all-in-all it was relatively painless.

In summary: Get the bus there and the train back. If you have a travel voucher then it costs you nothing at all... apart from the £30 for the vouchers.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
i think this thread is brilliant! Problems caused by 20,000+ fans travelling to see brighton each week!!! It's a fantastic problem for someone to solve!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
One thought. Last night was no where near like travelling in London during rush hour in terms of passengers cramped in. I was on the trains at peak time and yes they were full. But dangerously full? Take the central line in the morning - that's full!! Seriously, yes lots of issues on this thread but everyone starting to say it's dangerous is simply adding fuel to the H&S police who will start quoting it against us and likely lead to even MORE delays in future. Much better stewarding at Brighton station is needed for sure, Southern Rail, like so many in officialdom country-wide, seem to ignore what's going on in front of their eyes, lack common sense etc it seems and which then leads to lots of frustration and anger from a general public who would otherwise be very reasonable (shades of Bennetts Field!). Ow, and the local yokels of Sussex need to start using the trains like their London cousins e.g move down please, it's only 2 stops for the vast majority so squeeze-up!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I live about half way up New Church Road.

Getting to The Amex
: Left at 6:30pm and got the bus to Palmeira Square, a quick change to the No.25 and got to the stadium at 7:10pm.

Getting home: After waiting for a bus by the A27 and subsequently giving up after 20mins (I did not want to be involved in a 20 car pile up caused by the idiots trying to pick-up their little darlings in the bus lane).

I went back to the train queue for Brighton station, took about another 20mins before I was on the train. Got into Brighton, walked down to Churchill Square and got the No.1 to Westbourne Villas and was home by 10:40pm

Apart from MY mistake thinking I could get a bus back from the stadium all-in-all it was relatively painless.

In summary: Get the bus there and the train back. If you have a travel voucher then it costs you nothing at all... apart from the £30 for the vouchers.

Why didn't you get the Route "P" bus back after the game? Takes you along Portland Road!

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It was f***ing mahyem. Hopefully local fans like me will be wise enough to go as early as possible to ease those from further afield.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Got to Brighton station at 6.30 managed to get on the 6.51, plenty of space in first carriage, no one blocking doors etc..

I think we accidentally cut the queue at Brighton though, bit strange that it was single file where there was no road

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Little tip.

When approaching the stadium from west along the a27' sit in the outside lane, it may be that you get annoyed at the ignorant FUCKERS who cut in to get up the uni slip road and block the outside lane....but chill........carry on down the a27 to the Kingston roundabout turn round it and approach the falmer turn off from there......no queue, no hassle.it takes an extra 3 minutes.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Of course the other reason is that you have people openly boasting about not buying travel vouchers or tickets to travel to Falmer, how do you think the club and Southern work out what capacity of service is needed ?

By how many tickets/vouchers have been sold so hardly fair to blame the club and the railway when it is your fellow supporters causing the shortage of space, if 14000 vouchers/tickets are sold then that is what the service is catered for. If another 6000 try and freeload then there is where your problem of short capacity arises.

That is not strictly true,there is 2 of us coming from Worthing,i have a travel card and we just buy a ticket straight to Falmer.there were 4 in front of us and they did the same.This means that 6 of us in one hit never had vouchers but actually paid to get there.
On the other hand when we arrived at Brighton and had to show our tickets,the person in front of me just flashed his season ticket and was let through,so he obviously never had a voucher or a train ticket.

i live about half way up new church road.

getting to the amex
: Left at 6:30pm and got the bus to palmeira square, a quick change to the no.25 and got to the stadium at 7:10pm.

getting home: after waiting for a bus by the a27 and subsequently giving up after 20mins (i did not want to be involved in a 20 car pile up caused by the idiots trying to pick-up their little darlings in the bus lane).

I went back to the train queue for brighton station, took about another 20mins before i was on the train. Got into brighton, walked down to churchill square and got the no.1 to westbourne villas and was home by 10:40pm

apart from my mistake thinking i could get a bus back from the stadium all-in-all it was relatively painless.

In summary: Get the bus there and the train back. If you have a travel voucher then it costs you nothing at all... Apart from the £30 for the vouchers.

thats our plan from now on!:thumbsup::moo:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I assume we can expect the same problems tonight, seeing as it's going to be a similar-sized attendance?

The simplest solution would seem to be, as someone else suggested, for the club to put on a fleet of special buses from the centre of town and the station.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports