Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That wasn't the question he asked you but well done for avoiding it - maybe you should be on the Question Time panel with swerving skills like that.

What are you talking about? The only question I was asked is whether or not I've got a crystal ball. The answer is obviously no, I was simply applying the facts in the public domain.

Taking back control? We've never had less control than we do now.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Unfortunately for you the UK has a majority of "Brexit idiots".

Do you think you will ever get over the democratic result of the referendum?

You haven't got a clue what will happen after this result. It's a ****ing shambles.

***cough***

That wasn't the question he asked you but well done for avoiding it - maybe you should be on the Question Time panel with swerving skills like that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There was something like ELEVEN million idiots who never even voted at all. Need to TAX those ignorant f*ckers with a fine like the Aussies do. Only way they might someday learn that there IS such a thing as society, despite Thatcher's assertion to the contrary, and guess what, they are actually part of it, whether they're too dim to realise it or not.

Personally I think folk should have to earn the right to vote. Maybe a minimum set of academic qualifications before you can cross a box is the way forward?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
***cough***

The campaign was full of lies, distortion and misinformation so, yes, I am finding it hard to accept the outcome. With no manifesto to hold anyone to account or politicians to fight for re-election the campaigners could make up any old rubbish, and they did.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The campaign was full of lies, distortion and misinformation so, yes, I am finding it hard to accept the outcome. With no manifesto to hold anyone to account or politicians to fight for re-election the campaigners could make up any old rubbish, and they did.

bhn883.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
in reality you shouldnt base your opinion on watching programmes that have centred around Boston Peterborough and Burnley, everyone is aware these three towns have been prominent when it comes to immigration.They have had big problems adjusting and you are more than likely to get extreme views coming out of these towns compared to others.
Its not fair to base any extreme views you have witnessed from these places onto the whole Leave campaign and its supporters which you have done.....and many others have done before you also.

I think my post was slightly misunderstood.
Of course the TV was going to choose these places for maximum effect but I think it was nationwide, I honestly think that most of the people who voted out did so because of immigration alone, but they won't admit it.
It would have been interesting if they had said here's your referendum but we will not be changing our immigration policy.
I remember seeing a lady on channel 4 news just after the result, she looked like the sort of person you see on Jeremy Kyle, unwashed, long skanky hair and teeth like Sugar Puffs.
Why did you vote leave, she was asked.
Immigration, she replied.
Why, asked the reporter.
Because everyone on Facebook was saying so, she replied.
I had my head in my hands.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Only way they might someday learn that there IS such a thing as society, despite Thatcher's assertion to the contrary, and guess what, they are actually part of it, whether they're too dim to realise it or not.

ironic that this is what Thatcher meant: people cant defer responsibility to "society" and have to take responsibility themselves. (really, read the full quote theres an awful lot of context lost in the half dozen word cliche)

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Personally I think folk should have to earn the right to vote. Maybe a minimum set of academic qualifications before you can cross a box is the way forward?

Is this what you genuinely believe ? That there shouldn't be universal suffrage ? Maybe there should be a financial threshold as well, or you need to own property, perhaps you see that as the way forward ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Maybe on the voting slip there should be two or three multiple choice test questions and if you fail to get any correct your vote is void. That way people won't be insulted about not being allowed to vote because of a low IQ because they will be non the wiser.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think my post was slightly misunderstood.
Of course the TV was going to choose these places for maximum effect but I think it was nationwide, I honestly think that most of the people who voted out did so because of immigration alone, but they won't admit it.
It would have been interesting if they had said here's your referendum but we will not be changing our immigration policy.
I remember seeing a lady on channel 4 news just after the result, she looked like the sort of person you see on Jeremy Kyle, unwashed, long skanky hair and teeth like Sugar Puffs.
Why did you vote leave, she was asked.
Immigration, she replied.
Why, asked the reporter.
Because everyone on Facebook was saying so, she replied.
I had my head in my hands.

and ive seen a woman say she voted remain because The EU gives us the NHS, and another who voted remain because she didnt want nandos to close down.
what does it tell us? Nothing except there will always be wallies who vote.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
There was something like ELEVEN million idiots who never even voted at all. Need to TAX those ignorant f*ckers with a fine like the Aussies do. Only way they might someday learn that there IS such a thing as society, despite Thatcher's assertion to the contrary, and guess what, they are actually part of it, whether they're too dim to realise it or not.

Well seeing as many think that Brexit voters are "idiots" then one would assume that the "ELEVEN million idiots" that never voted would have voted Leave. Which makes the vote much more of a majority for Leave, thank god for Remain that those "ELEVEN million idiots" were "too dim" to realise eh.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Personally i think that those that do not live here should have been allowed to vote...... your other idea re " a minimum set of academic qualifications before you can cross a box"..... is very democratic isn't it...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
No, the answer is to allow people in to the country that possess the skills that this country needs, from wherever in the world, rather than letting unlimited numbers of unskilled people from Europe to swamp our country and therefore push down wages and make it impossible for those that are already here, that may be unskilled but nonetheless hard working, to provide for their families and have a decent standard of living.

But in order to get a free trade deal with other nations as the Brexiters are saying, you have to offer them something in the deal. It has already been suggested by politicians to look at increasing the amount of work permits, visas, and citizenship applications to act as a benefit to Nations such as India and China amoungst many others. So it will mean increasing immigration from outside the EU after Brexit.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Good luck with relying on the Commonwealth for future trade! When the EU confirms access to the Single Market is dependent upon free movement of people the government will restrict non-EY migration even more to appease UKIP / Leave voters, thereby upsetting the very Commonwealth partners like India that we want to trade more with.

The suggestion on Question time was to freely trade with the rest of the world as the EU restricts this. So in order to do that, the U.K. has to offer perks to those nations, especially when trying to negotiate a better or free trade deal. Increasing migration from those countries such as India is what is being touted. If we reject the single market and restrict EU migration, then increasing non EU will be inevitable. Either that or we don't freely trade with anyone.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But in order to get a free trade deal with other nations as the Brexiters are saying, you have to offer them something in the deal. It has already been suggested by politicians to look at increasing the amount of work permits, visas, and citizenship applications to act as a benefit to Nations such as India and China amoungst many others. So it will mean increasing immigration from outside the EU after Brexit.

Doesnt necessarily mean we have to increase immigration from outside the EU by a significant amount.
India is already in discussions with the EU and seperately The USA over trade deals. India are not asking for an increase in permit,visas or citizenship but ask that visas for tourists and visas for skilled professionals are made less complicated to acquire.
even if its skilled professionals only here for a few days on business

Being able to attract a skilled professional from india is a much better option than an unskilled person from Europe

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Doesnt necessarily mean we have to increase immigration from outside the EU by a significant amount.
India is already in discussions with the EU and seperately The USA over trade deals. India are not asking for an increase in permit,visas or citizenship but ask that visas for tourists and visas for skilled professionals are made less complicated to acquire.
even if its skilled professionals only here for a few days on business

Being able to attract a skilled professional from india is a much better option than an unskilled person from Europe

No it doesn't necessarily mean more as you say, but is highly likely. The suggestions of this strategy are coming from these shores. So visas being less complicated is another way of saying *easier visas granted (*code for more). You can bet that's what the Indian government mean when they ask for visas being less complicated. We haven't even started yet but in all these deals we make, a carrot has to be dangled, with each and every one. Also the word 'unskilled' is banded about a lot and means nothing. The dreaded Polish plumber is a skilled worker, whilst a Beglian fella that works with my sister in her office, speaks 5 European languages, but he is 'unskilled'. It's a bull S word banded about.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No it doesn't necessarily mean more as you say, but is highly likely. So visas being less complicated is another way of saying easier visas granted and that way more. You can bet that's what the Indian government mean when they ask for visas being less complicated. We haven't even started yet but in all these deals we make, a carrot has to be dangled, which each and every one. Also the word 'unskilled' is banded about a lot and means nothing. The dreaded Polish plumber is a skilled worker, whilst a Beglian fella that works with my sister in her office, speaks 5 European languages, but he is 'unskilled'. It's a bull S word banded about.

yes it means easier to grant.
But remember India are asking only for cheaper visas for tourists and easier visas for skilled professionals in specific areas like in healthcare or services or businessmen travelling for seminars or conferences. Its not an across the board request for every sector of industry.
Its how a managed immigration policy should work

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The company my husband used to worked for got bought out by an Indian company. Instead of hiring local people they would ship people over from India. Everytime there was Redundancies it was the local people who got the chop and the Indian people stayed. By the time he got made redundant the office was 90 percent Indian and no women left at all. If this had happened the other way round there would have been an up roar. I guess only racism is one way.

All these people were on work visas so don't show up on the imergration stats, doesn't stop people losing their jobs to them though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Very odd that many people seem to readily accept this bizarre argument linking 'free' trade/ access to the single market having a stipulated condition of free movement. This is a very odd model only to be found in Europe (?) thanks to the EC/EU.

I suppose someone could make a case for free movement when the EC was relatively small and member countries economically similar. But the huge discrepancies within the current EU member states was always likely to cause problems especially with the porous nature of the EU's external border.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here