Votes: 19 13.2%
  • No religious beliefs at all.

Votes: 87 60.4%

• Total voters

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Blimey this is a bit deep and meaningful, in answer to the thread, in my own opinion I hold strong beliefs, however I do agree it is probably more a comfort thing. I no longer go to church or kneel and pray at bedtime but I know when my father was in his final days his belief brought great comfort to him for whatever reason.
I believe that a good Christian (believer) is about being a good person, one who cares for others and does their best to help others if at all possible.
I do not belive that you have to bang on about religion as it is personal to the individual, a bit like politics, you either support or you don't, now be honest, how many of you have prayed for an Albion goal over the years, you can't have selective religion you know

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
As others have said, religions have always been about political control - of uneducated masses who can be gulled into believing they will burn in hell if they reject the message. And hearing that message, from birth, up to five times a day, normally does the trick.

But religion still holds some mysteries: like how otherwise intelligent, highly-educated individuals - even much-derided ones like the Pope, Tony Blair and yes, Osama bin Laden - can take on board a bunch of desert myths and fantasies that were invented when everyone believed the earth was flat.

Religion is unsatisfactory in the 21st century because its lovely old fables are laughably inadequate in explaining the origin and nature of the universe. And, far from being the word of some god, each religion's moral codes only betray the prevailing attitudes of their all-too-human designers.

For more and more people - at least in the West - the idea that we're all living in the train set of a kind of Fat Controller in the sky simply doesn't cut it any more.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
İbrahim Tatlıses;3699779 said:
However if I had to choose a religion, I would choose Islam. I quite like the idea of 72 virgins waiting for me in heaven :jester:

Well, the virgins are only for "martyrs". And, anyway it's (allegedly) a mis-translation. I think you actually get 72 *grapes* (probably not even fermented). Boris Johnson did write a good book about it, though.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Logic would suggest there cannot be a god?
If there is .... is he a Christian God ... a Catholic God ... a Muslim God ... a Jehovas Witness .... a male .... a female .... a cow ...... all of the above?

If God really existed .... wouldn't he have stopped the Tsunami?
Prevented 9/11?
Told Hitler to stop being a dick?

Any sane, normal, sensible, human being, knows that God has to be fictitious ...... but to millions of people Religion is a necessary crutch in order to see them through their lives?

I, like many of you on here, don't happen to require that crutch ..... but many do, and we shouldn't treat them as somehow inferior just because they are weak!!

Mind you .... how do religious, and therefore by supposed definition, 'tolerant' people in this world, square the fact that so many millions of people have lost their lives in this world in the name of religion?

How does that work then?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No. I grew up going to Sunday School. I read the bible every morning from 7-13 (during school time). I went to chapel twice a week at secondary school and even joined the Crypt Society.

I gave it a fair go, but it never did anything for me. I can lead a 'good Christian life' without the need to worship someone (other than Bellucci) and repent for my sins (whatever they might be).

I'm friends with a lot of hardcore Christians and despite the odd heated debate we seem to get on well. I do find it a bit arrogant that Christians believe that their is some deity working all hours to answer them at beck and call.

A friend of my sister prayed for the bus to be late as she was running late for a job interview. Sure enough, it was late. It didnt occur to her that she might be putting others out. (Silly example, but you get the drift)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Atheism, a non-prophet organisation.

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
Agnostic for me. I have absolutely no reason to believe a deity exists, many things i have witnessed and experienced in my life would actually suggest there isn't one or if there is it certainly isnt the caring sharing God certain religions keep banging on about. I do not, however, have any evidence that one doesnt exist somewhere.

I dont totally dismiss the idea so cannot call myself atheist.

Mother nature would be my preference if a deity does exist :thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's a crutch that I do not need.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I have a faith that accepts the existence of God and is based on fundamentals of some of the more established religions. I believe there has been a message but it is has been twisted by the peanut crunching crowd. I also believe in evolution and science.

And my faith is my own and not for everyone else..... faith, I believe is a personal thing because the god I believe in knows we are all different.

Now please disregard everything I wrote

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
there are hundreds of gods in the world, and most religious people disbelieve in ALL but one of them.

atheists just go one further.

[yt]bSLkQnCurgs[/yt]

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Yes.

I prayed for Palace to stay up when they went to Hillsborough last May and it worked, PRAISE THE LORD!

Then last Sunday I prayed for the Bees to beat Sheffield Wednesday and that worked too! PTL...

I'm now praying for someone to kick the sh*t out of Giles Coke...dirty bastid

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here