Votes: 19 13.2%
  • No religious beliefs at all.

Votes: 87 60.4%

• Total voters

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I voted deeply sceptical, because although i think the idea of some higher power is very unlikely, you can't discount it totally. Having said that i believe it's even less likely that if there is a god, it's anything like the organised mobs believe in.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I believe both Science and Religion are flawed, some Scientists claim the Religious people are fools but I hate their ignorance into others beliefs, in its own sense, Science IS a religion, however, it is a religion of logic, trying to gain understanding of how the world works, maybe thats a better thing, but Im relate myself very much to the Romantics, I do not believe looking at how the world works makes it better, looking at the power of nature is something a lot more amazing.

larus

As far as 'religion' is concerned, then I'm firmly in the atheist camp.

Our solar system is one of an estimated 200 billion in our galaxy. There's an estimated 500 billion galaxies in the universe (figures taken from NASA site).

I therefore find in incredible that so many people think that this omnipotent being would love us as his children. I mean, really, just think about how stupid this seems.

However, when I think about the universe; it's size, the big bang etc, I wonder what created it and why?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I believe both Science and Religion are flawed, some Scientists claim the Religious people are fools but I hate their ignorance into others beliefs, in its own sense, Science IS a religion, however, it is a religion of logic, trying to gain understanding of how the world works, maybe thats a better thing, but Im relate myself very much to the Romantics, I do not believe looking at how the world works makes it better, looking at the power of nature is something a lot more amazing.

Looking at the power of nature can also be a form of appreciating science.. and please lay off this 'Science is just another form of Religion. No it isn't.

Is Science a Religion?
by Richard Dawkins

"Well, science is not religion and it doesn't just come down to faith. Although it has many of religion's virtues, it has none of its vices. Science is based upon verifiable evidence. Religious faith not only lacks evidence, its independence from evidence is its pride and joy, shouted from the rooftops. Why else would Christians wax critical of doubting Thomas? The other apostles are held up to us as exemplars of virtue because faith was enough for them. Doubting Thomas, on the other hand, required evidence. Perhaps he should be the patron saint of scientists."

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I decided at a fairly early age, say around ten, that I didn't believe in God, heaven and hell or anything to do with religion. It took me somewhat longer, until my 30's, to realise that I wasn't purely an atheist but was actually a humanist.

I think it is important to be comfortable in your beliefs, regardless of what they may be, if they give you something to hang onto when times get hard then so be it. The most important thing in my opinion is to live your life by a set of morals and ethics that largely involve treating others with respect, whatever their belief system, as long as theirs aren't used adversely to enforce their will on others.

However, at the age of 13 I refused to do my RE homework because the subject was contrary to my beliefs, the RE teacher made me copy out pages from the bible as punishment...this neatly introduced me to the meaning of religious intolerance.

Sep 9, 2010
Firm religeous beliefs from me.

Anyone saying otherwise as a BHA supporter is telling fibs - I mean how many times have you prayed for a win following a run of defeats? And who hasn't said "Thank God" when that win arrives?

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
I think we are just some experiment put together by some superior Alien race who have had a bet on how long we'll take to destroy ourselves completely.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
İbrahim Tatlıses;3699779 said:
I quite like the idea of 72 virgins waiting for me in heaven :jester:

Then ask yourself what sort of woman dies a virgin...nuns, frigid women and those who die as children before reaching the age of reproduction...does take the shine off it a little don't you think!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No not really. I think religion is a bit 'mind control'....however I sometimes ask 'god' for a favour.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Looking at the power of nature can also be a form of appreciating science.. and please lay off this 'Science is just another form of Religion. No it isn't.

Is Science a Religion?
by Richard Dawkins

"Well, science is not religion and it doesn't just come down to faith. Although it has many of religion's virtues, it has none of its vices. Science is based upon verifiable evidence. Religious faith not only lacks evidence, its independence from evidence is its pride and joy, shouted from the rooftops. Why else would Christians wax critical of doubting Thomas? The other apostles are held up to us as exemplars of virtue because faith was enough for them. Doubting Thomas, on the other hand, required evidence. Perhaps he should be the patron saint of scientists."

Ok fair enough. And now I have to also swallow my words about nature not being appreciated by science. And I also think Im thinking irrationally. But I had my reasons. Either way, I still believe there is always a good idea to have a mixture.

ANd I just felt like I was told. :down:

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Ok fair enough. :glare: But I wouldn't say appreciating nature is like a science, I just think science, while it can be a good thing, and technically more logical than religion, just ruins the mystery of nature.

Science ruins the mystery of nature? Odd idea. If you learn enough about any phenomenon you can demystify it but that doesn't remove the beauty. Are the Northern Lights less fun for knowing how they come about? Of course not.

I'll take science. I also don't buy into according religious faith respect. I fail to see why I should respect the suspension of rational thought in the face of scientific evidence.

That said, I still think burning a Koran or bible is a bloody daft idea.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
We are all part of a big guys table leg. Here is a picture of some of the Galaxys that make up some of the rest of the table leg.

Attachments

• Star-forming_galaxies_like_grains_of_sand.jpg
    Star-forming_galaxies_like_grains_of_sand.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 122

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here