Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Proud to be straight

Jan 30, 2008
Hastings gull, I enjoy debating with you a lot of the time, but you seem incredibly naive about a multitude of subjects.

Perhaps consider how gay people, black people, and other minority groups, have been treated throughout history - and how attitudes towards them, and other minority groups, remain largely offensive.

White/straight pride has obvious discriminatory connotations - whereas gay people, like black people, should feel proud about how they deal with being a minority group that frequently falls victim to negative societal attitudes.
how do they deal with apart from throwing it in your face on occasions, nothing wrong with straight pride , equal rights and all that???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Pride is a feeling that is derived from a personal achievement.

By stating you feel proud about being straight is suggesting that the alternatives are inferior in some way, as if you have achieved something just by not being gay.

This differs from "gay pride" in that LGBT's really do have something to be proud of due to having to constantly deal with homophobic attitudes throughout their lives.
well minority sports are never well funded
regards
DR

Proud to be who I am.

Proud to have a Gay Niece and Niece in Law (if that is a correct term)

Proud to have a Nephew in the Services.

Just Proud really.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hastings gull, I enjoy debating with you a lot of the time, but you seem incredibly naive about a multitude of subjects.

Perhaps consider how gay people, black people, and other minority groups, have been treated throughout history - and how attitudes towards them, and other minority groups, remain largely offensive.

White/straight pride has obvious discriminatory connotations - whereas gay people, like black people, should feel proud about how they deal with being a minority group that frequently falls victim to negative societal attitudes.

Isn't this post just so sadly typical of your usual arrogance? If one does not see things your way, then we are naïve etc. As ever you start with "perhaps consider etc" - because no one has ever considered it, have they -only you, who needs to advise us all. I am as aware as you as to how minority groups have been treated throughout history, but in our politically correct world, I would doubt very much that attitudes remain largely offensive as you say. Many people have come to accept eg gay relationships to a far greater extent than was the case many years ago, or had you not noticed. I thought that you would talk of the discriminatory connotations etc, and I don't doubt that for some, "white pride" is exactly that. But as ever, you generalise and make sweeping statements which happen to suit your particular bias. I do not doubt that black people should feel proud about being a minority group etc, as you suggest, but the same goes for other groups -just that this does not suit your way of thinking. You can feel proud of being white or whatever, and not wish to discriminate - it is just the politically correct, who are determined to see otherwise.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Some of the views reflected on this forum leave me despairing for our future as a society.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whereas gay people, like black people, should feel proud about how they deal with being a minority group that frequently falls victim to negative societal attitudes.

Whereas white hetero-sexual men are the last minority group that would not be allowed to set up a 'White hetero-sexual men's Association' or club without being promptly banned. You couldn't even have a 'White hetero-sexual men's night' in a pub without bans and / or demonstrations. Not that I'd particularly go out of my way to go to one, but it's a sign of the times that this particular group can be so marginalised.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whereas white hetero-sexual men are the last minority group that would not be allowed to set up a 'White hetero-sexual men's Association' or club without being promptly banned. You couldn't even have a 'White hetero-sexual men's night' in a pub without bans and / or demonstrations. Not that I'd particularly go out of my way to go to one, but it's a sign of the times that this particular group can be so marginalised.

please let this be satire, please let this be satire, please let this be…...

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
notsureifserious.jpg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Pride is a feeling that is derived from a personal achievement.

By stating you feel proud about being straight is suggesting that the alternatives are inferior in some way, as if you have achieved something just by not being gay.

This differs from "gay pride" in that LGBT's really do have something to be proud of due to having to constantly deal with homophobic attitudes throughout their lives.

OooErr - get you!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well,your arse ain't as sore for starters

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA oh **** me my sides are splitting HA HA HA HA HA

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013

I'm going to ignore my confusion over whether this is satire or not and let you know that the Equality Act 2010 created a number of protected characteristics. These characteristics include your ethnicity/race, your gender, and your sexual orientation (amongst others). This means that white, heterosexual men are just as protected by this legislation as anyone else (including the usual jokes about tree-huggers at Greenham Common). If you want to set up a club night for white, heterosexual men then you're just as entitled to do that as someone who wants to set up a night for gay, black women... i.e. just as likely to be accused of discrimination as they would be if they did such a thing.

The world has moved on from the time when healthy, white, straight men could claim that they were discriminated against so people should stop pitying themselves for the 'unjust' nature of fitting into that demographic. Make the Equality Act work for you and see that there are other things to worry about.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm going to ignore my confusion over whether this is satire or not and let you know that the Equality Act 2010 created a number of protected characteristics. These characteristics include your ethnicity/race, your gender, and your sexual orientation (amongst others). This means that white, heterosexual men are just as protected by this legislation as anyone else (including the usual jokes about tree-huggers at Greenham Common). If you want to set up a club night for white, heterosexual men then you're just as entitled to do that as someone who wants to set up a night for gay, black women... i.e. just as likely to be accused of discrimination as they would be if they did such a thing.

The world has moved on from the time when healthy, white, straight men could claim that they were discriminated against so people should stop pitying themselves for the 'unjust' nature of fitting into that demographic. Make the Equality Act work for you and see that there are other things to worry about.

It must be satire, because what straight white male in their right mind would go to a night titled 'White Heterosexual Mens Night' - it sounds ironically enough like the gayest night ever.

Personally I've always wanted to go where the ladies are, of as many types as possible, preferably with as few other men as possible. The very thought of a night themed for white heterosexual men fills me with the kind of dread I've not felt since I first heard Darth Vader tell Luke he was his dad when I was 10...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here