Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Project Big Picture

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
listening to Rick Parry on talksport now. Genuinely lost for words and how he cannot say this is a power grab from the big 6 (or 9).

maybe he should look at championship clubs spending way beyond their means before putting out the begging bowls and selling his soul

This is why - and I can't believe I'm saying this - Steve Parish's piece in the Sunday Times eight days ago was so on the money. Why should Premier League clubs agree to support certain Championship clubs, in effect competitors who want their places in the top division and are prepared to go to insane financial lengths to try to get them?

Maybe the answer is an equivalent of a universal income, which gives every EFL club a certain amount to pay their non-playing staff, Council Tax etc, but at a flat rate for all three divisions. If every EFL club got, say, £3m, then it might mean that Accrington and Mansfield could keep going, but it wouldn't help Birmingham City to buy yet another foreign winger that they couldn't afford.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
I cant help with the Covid shit, but I binned off my season ticket (20+ years a ST holder and saw my first game in 1972) and started following my local Ishmian league side. Bought a season ticket for £150 and so far this season have watched every game home and away, and a I have found my mojo for football again, infact after saturdays game all I can think of is Tuesdays game...I fxxxking love it!!

100% this.

I still have my £1200 Spurs ST but i doubt i will have it for much longer. If this new plan goes through i am definitely out.

So far this season i jave watched Buxted, AFC Uckfield & Lewes. I can watch Uckfield, have two pints and a bite to eat for about £15 all in (free parking). Plus it is directly behind the best Indian in East Sussex. Win win.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
As an aside point from the obviously despicable ‘project’ - I find it strange to see so many people saying they could quit following the Albion and go to non league matches instead, don’t get me wrong, I enjoy lower league matches I always have, but the biggest part of going to a football match is the passion you feel for a team. That cannot be compared to anything else for me, now I’m wondering if by reading this thread many disagree.

Now I know changes like this would be destroying the heart of football, but I still couldn’t bring myself not attend our matches.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are clearly some positives in the proposals but then again, some soul selling to get them.

My prediction is this.

Barber will link up with the ‘other 11’ and lead a proposal that in effect, bins the 18 team division and the reduced relegation and warped voting rights too. This proposal will then gain popularity fairly quickly.

These Americans are no match for Mr Barber.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There are clearly some positives in the proposals but then again, some soul selling to get them.

My prediction is this.

Barber will link up with the ‘other 11’ and lead a proposal that in effect, bins the 18 team division and the reduced relegation and warped voting rights too. This proposal will then gain popularity fairly quickly.

There are indeed some positives in this, all of which can be undone by 6 clubs deciding they don't want to do it anymore. I actually think there is a decent case for an 18 club top division and I like the idea of a relegation playoff between a PL and Champ side. I like the revenue sharing. There is a healthy debate to be had about many things, but to make it conditional on the handing over the keys of power to a self appointed elite who are only interested in preserving that status is utter BS.

If this is for the good of the game (ha!) drop the power grab and have a proper meaningful discussion, lord knows the sport needs it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are indeed some positives in this, all of which can be undone by 6 clubs deciding they don't want to do it anymore. I actually think there is a decent case for an 18 club top division and I like the idea of a relegation playoff between a PL and Champ side. I like the revenue sharing. There is a healthy debate to be had about many things, but to make it conditional on the handing over the keys of power to a self appointed elite who are only interested in preserving that status is utter BS.

If this is for the good of the game (ha!) drop the power grab and have a proper meaningful discussion, lord knows the sport needs it.

The problem is the power grab is the whole reason for doing this. The other changes are just sweetners to get the power grab through the door and as you say, once it's done, the big 6 can do what they like, even stop any payments to the other leagues.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The problem is the power grab is the whole reason for doing this. The other changes are just sweetners to get the power grab through the door and as you say, once it's done, the big 6 can do what they like, even stop any payments to the other leagues.

I fully agree, which is why the whole thing is horsesh*t.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Positives:

- Parachute payments scrapped (I’d love to see money distributed equally amongst all 72 clubs.)

- League Cup & Community Shield abolished. (Maybe just have them for the football league?).

- £250m rescue fund immediately available.

- £100m paid to the FA for lost revenue.

It would be even better if all divisions were limited to 20 with a League 3 created for Premier League U23’s teams (promoted from EPL 2 div 1) and the extra 12 teams left out.
U23 teams would not be able to enter the Championship or above and there would be a maximum of 8 places.

I’d also throw one of the Premier League Champions League qualification slots into the FA Cup for the winner for good measure.

The negatives outweigh this all though, hugely.

Alas, the price is too high as the Americans actually want a power grab to eventually create a Premier League with no relegation, agreeing to the current proposals would mean the start of the slippery slope to that disturbing vision.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

My prediction is this.

I think Barber and Levy super best friends.

I wouldn’t be so sure

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Positives:

- Parachute payments scrapped (I’d love to see money distributed equally amongst all 72 clubs.)

- League Cup & Community Shield abolished. (Maybe just have them for the football league?).

- £250m rescue fund immediately available.

- £100m paid to the FA for lost revenue.

It would be even better if all divisions were limited to 20 with a League 3 created for Premier League U23’s teams (promoted from EPL 2 div 1) and the extra 12 teams left out.
U23 teams would not be able to enter the Championship or above and there would be a maximum of 8 places.

I’d also throw one of the Premier League Champions League qualification slots into the FA Cup for the winner for good measure.

The negatives outweigh this all though, hugely.

Alas, the price is too high as the Americans actually want a power grab to eventually create a Premier League with no relegation, agreeing to the current proposals would mean the start of the slippery slope to that disturbing vision.

I agree with a large amount of this - with a few bits changed

It’s a shame it will be ignored because the bad bits are so awful

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The issue with a relegation play-off is that it protects the big side. Since 2012, there has been a single second-tier winner of the relegation play-off in Germany, and quite frankly that was a miracle of sorts (The defeated Stuttgart team literally had two World Cup winners in the starting line up).

They are a non-contest because the finances are incomparable. If we take last season as an indicator Werder Bremen starting XI for the play-off second leg had collective 202 senior international appearances. In fact, every player starting for them had represented their country at at least an U21 age level. 1. FC Heidenheim had no international appearances in their side. It is a David vs. Goliath task, and one that rarely ends in victory for the underdog.

Putting any relegation play-off into the Premier League makes it that much more difficult to bridge the gap. It is a closing of the door, as are all of the proposals in one way or another, make no mistake about it.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Doing away with parachute payments probably means administration for any relegated club.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The issue with a relegation play-off is that it protects the big side. Since 2012, there has been a single second-tier winner of the relegation play-off in Germany, and quite frankly that was a miracle of sorts (The defeated Stuttgart team literally had two World Cup winners in the starting line up).

They are a non-contest because the finances are incomparable. If we take last season as an indicator Werder Bremen starting XI for the play-off second leg had collective 202 senior international appearances. In fact, every player starting for them had represented their country at at least an U21 age level. 1. FC Heidenheim had no international appearances in their side. It is a David vs. Goliath task, and one that rarely ends in victory for the underdog.

Putting any relegation play-off into the Premier League makes it that much more difficult to bridge the gap. It is a closing of the door, as are all of the proposals in one way or another, make no mistake about it.

Appreciate what you say but our championship is way above the standard of any other 2nd tier league

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is it wrong to suggest a complete overhaul of all the leagues possibly, have the Premier League 18 clubs and two Championships of 24 clubs north & south as a way of keeping travel and costs down and increasing more local fixtures and derbys, with everyone else part time and non league essentially ?

Nah that is silly

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
WHU have just come out against it despite being a club that would initially benefit before getting the heave ho further down the line

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here