[Football] Premier League - Project Big Picture

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Seems like a waste of time from Liverpool. On what planet would any of the non 9 teams in this list vote for the proposal?

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

I guess on a planet where the conditions for their bailout by the mega-rich depends on their vote.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watching Parry on BBC1 now.

You can take the man out of Liverpool but...................

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Why would Everton, West Ham and Southampton vote for this? With a smaller Prem surely there is more chance of them getting relegated, and with no League Cup there is even less chance of any silverware.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
David Conn in The Guardian was pretty supportive of the idea
Interesting he's from Bury, the dissapearance of Bury was more to do with failures by the EFL than Premier league. By all means look at better distribution of money throughout the game, along with wage caps and better overview of owners. No one is surely stupid enough to believe this is an altruistic move by Manchester Utd or Liverpool.

Sent from my EVR-N29 using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Its just more money to the weak minded PL and so called bigger clubs.
The FA are noticeably staying quiet.
Why don't they rename the EPL to the EPLL - English Premier Lidl League
Cheapening the product :tosser:

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I would personally prefer to see us in the Championship than play in a smaller PL. not going to be popular on here I know but at least there would be more games and more entertainment.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not often anyone says this, but well said to that government spokesperson

74FD5DAB-26DB-4C0A-9A3B-E600041A1AB6.jpeg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah I was pretty surprised by that. I usually agree with him but not on this one.

I guess he's right that a deal which would see 25% of the TV deal filter down to the EFL is not entirely bad but that carrot is clearly going to be followed up with a hefty dose of stick.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Watching Parry on BBC1 now.

You can take the man out of Liverpool but...................

Liverpool has always been a grubby football club, with very little class. Shame that the Merseyside club with real class and dignity has been overshadowed by their down-market neighbours. They couldn't wait to get their hands on American money ( twice ) and now, surprise, surprise, here we are with American style proposals. I.e. protect the elite and avoid relegation and promotion.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I am afraid I have never forgiven Conn for a catastrophically warped and Ill-informed piece attacking the Albion at the time of the club's fight for its life. A hugely overrated writer.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Liverpool has always been a grubby football club, with very little class. Shame that the Merseyside club with real class and dignity has been overshadowed by their down-market neighbours. They couldn't wait to get their hands on American money ( twice ) and now, surprise, surprise, here we are with American style proposals. I.e. protect the elite and avoid relegation and promotion.

But Liverpool fans will tell you that they have a ‘right’ to European football, just how they were the ‘victims’ after not winning the league for 30 years. They and the other clubs that see themselves as bigger than #teamslikeBrighton and the like, should be given an ultimatum. Go start your Euro Super League, but you will NEVER be allowed back into English football as the club you are now, and English league football will be all the better for it. Close the door on your way out.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It is clearly a power grab by the big 6 who I'm sure are in on it although it is seemingly being proposed by Liverpool and Man Utd. The 'bribe' to the EFL is immaterial because the EFL don't get to vote on it. To get this through they will need 14 clubs to agree to the changes.

If this involves a league re-structure - 90 teams, change to playoffs, 3 24 team divisions etc..

Wouldn't all 92 clubs get a vote? If so there is a chance with a big enough bribe it might get through.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah I was pretty surprised by that. I usually agree with him but not on this one.

I guess he's right that a deal which would see 25% of the TV deal filter down to the EFL is not entirely bad but that carrot is clearly going to be followed up with a hefty dose of stick.

But the extra money is not taken from the teams in the PL: it will be taken from removing parachute payments and reducing the PL to 18 - the PL elite will still be OK

I actually think that cutting parachute payments is a decent idea but the rest of it doesn't well thought out to me

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I guess on a planet where the conditions for their bailout by the mega-rich depends on their vote.

In what way are the other PL clubs being "bailed out?" They stand to lose influence on decisions have a greater chance of relegation and never being able to say do a city by finding rich new owners. It is the 1st stage to turning the PL into a closed shop and I hope other clubs see through it.

Until this I have never agreed with the Tory Govt on anything but this time the DCMS spokesperson got it exactly right.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would personally prefer to see us in the Championship than play in a smaller PL. not going to be popular on here I know but at least there would be more games and more entertainment.

If we end up as part of a closed shop or smaller more exclusive Premier League then I am out.

I am happy for them to do it as long as their throwing money around like confetti doesn't trickle down to the proper football clubs like it does now.

It would be a good chance to look at the FFP systems and come up with a decent arrangement that suits all and makes sure that clubs are not gambling their futures.

Break away from FIFA and Uefa and let them concentrate on the big six or big nine or whatever.

I know I am dreaming about this but what a chance to get football back where it belongs, a working man's sport affordable for the working man.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is a classic neotiation in't it?

State a ridiculous position to indicate that a haggle is happening, then meet "somewhere in the middle" (when the other party didn't want any change in the first place. Insidious creeping greed from the "Big 6".

Here's a plan:

Everyone else tells the "Big 6" that they get in line and share the wealth more equitably, or we kick them out. We'll have a proper competitive league set up with promotion and relegation. There will be far fewer games on TV, but we can live with that, and many more clubs will have the opportunity to dream about promotion, titles and Cups. This competition will cap the amount that owners can put into a club so that massively wealthy "investors" can't come in and skew the whole system.

I'd watch that even if it meant I couldn't watch the Big 6 - which would be a blessed relief.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
To me the proposal isnt a disaster except this

Nine clubs given 'special voting rights' on certain issues, based on their extended runs in the Premier League.

What are the likely issues ?

Everthing else doesnt seem that bad to be honest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports