Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
But you remember what happened the last time a reigning Monarch died?

Clearly not, unfortunately and as someone who sponsors a lot of youth sport I really feel for your under 12s, but this is the death of the greatest ever Briton, a one off in the history of the nation, sadly we have to go with what they dictate.

The football fixtures went ahead the last time a reigning monarch died, didn’t they?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
But you remember what happened the last time a reigning Monarch died?

Clearly not, unfortunately and as someone who sponsors a lot of youth sport I really feel for your under 12s, but this is the death of the greatest ever Briton, a one off in the history of the nation, sadly we have to go with what they dictate.

I don't know what the Queen would want but she seemed very public spirited. To that end, I can't imagine she'd want all sport to be cancelled. I'm pretty sure she'd rather the St Leger was run tomorrow in her memory given her love for the nags.

Tell me, if it was the last weekend of the football season and the Albion needed to win to get European football which was binned and never to be replayed, would you have the same feelings?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I hate to sound brutal, but statements such as "the thoughts and prayers of the entire nation blah blah" and "the whole country is mourning the loss blah, blah" is simply not true (unless it's just me). I feel no more sympathy for her friends and family than I normally would for the friends and family of any other nice old lady who I vaguely knew. I understand entirely that other people feel very differently and are very sad about this. And I understand it is a significant moment in UK history. If people want to sit around mourning and doing nothing for 10 days (apart from going to the theatre....and shopping...and to work, and such like) then that's entirely their choice, but I really resent that I am expected (forced) to join the national moping. There have been sadder and more significant events in our recent history... Brexit 2016, Brexin 1972, losing the euros final in 2021, Robbie leaving Take That in 1995, losing to Palace in the playoffs 2013. Life goes on.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Fantastic decision. Gives me a chance to get over my utter apathy for football and gives us a chance to get someone in and have time to get to know the squad before our next game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ummm I’ll either carry on working and go to the cinema (if they are open) tomorrow …..day of The Queens funeral I’ll pay my respects and take the day off (I won’t for Charles 11111111’s inauguration)

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
So we have no fixtures this year in September and a World Cup in November and December.

Right now it gives the club time to appoint a new manager, more time for him to get used to the players & they to him so September off may be a good thing.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
We really are a banter nation.

What a complete shambles.

Who will be refunding travel/accommodation/match tickets?

Really is a case of just doing something to be seen to be doing something.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the majority's reaction to this enforced cancellation of fun in the midst of the shitstorm we are living through tells you all you need to know about how the monarchy is really viewed by ordinary people.

Two minutes silence at every social gathering and a national day of mourning of the day of the funeral was the call, not this bollocks.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I would guess if the Met become stretched having to do crowd control etc.. they will pull in resources from other forces to help out, and those forces will then not have enough police to man football games etc..

There was a fear that London would become 'full' this weekend with infrastructure unable to cope with the sheer numbers of people coming into the captial.

"It is expected that well over a million people will pour into London to line the streets for the procession. In a striking assessment of how the public could react, previously leaked plans for Operation London Bridge suggested that London could become “full” for the first time ever as huge numbers travel to the capital, with public transport, policing and basic services stretched to breaking point and a vast security operation to manage crowds."

Thanks for posting this.

While I am annoyed (sorry Ma'am) it does make sense I guess. I hope the fixtures next weekend take place but perhaps they are doubtful also.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here