Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
This.

I keep hearing this 10 day thing. 10 days of what exactly?! What are supposed to be doing in that time?

I’ll admit I’m anti monarchy and her passing has no effect on me personally but I appreciate it is a sad time for a few people so I’m careful what I say around others and I’ll stay off that thread for example. It is sad her family have lost a mother, grand mother etc same as when any family loses someone.

I really don’t understand why the football matches have to be called off though. Surely getting thousands of people together to pay their respects and celebrate her life, which living to 96 is what you should be doing, is more appropriate? Kids and grassroots games are carrying on as normal.

Listening to TalkSport and no commercial adverts , which is shame as I need some raw materials for some building work, if only I knew where the trades go

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maybe those who'd like to stay at home crying for 10 days can do that while other people who doesn't want to cry for 10 days go and watch football etc. Everyone wins.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think the 10 days may happen as much as anything because no company/event/brand/media outlet will want to be the first to be seen "having fun" and get cancelled en masse.

So are all pubs, night clubs,bingo,cinemas etc etc closed. Just what we need with the economy tanking.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Listening to TalkSport and no commercial adverts , which is shame as I need some raw materials for some building work, if only I knew where the trades go

I can only begin to imagine TS today

"She always gave it 110%, For me, She was a top top Queen, no question"

I think i read somewhere that Tony Cascarino threw his Chinese takeaway in the bin as a mark of respect when she died. I'll see if I can find it. Edit found it.

[TWEET]1568143396807606274[/TWEET]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The ‘10 days’ refers to the official protocols around her death, Charlie’s accession, the lying in state and the funeral etc, not necessarily anything else that might or might not go ahead - those decisions are for the organisations and businesses etc to make.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Premier League games this weekend.

I can only begin to imagine TS today

"She always gave it 110%, For me, She was a top top Queen"

I think i read somewhere that Tony Cascarino threw his Chinese takeaway in the bin as a mark of respect when she died. I'll see if I can find it.

Only listening to White and Jordan to see if there’s any mention of the Trevor Sinclair tweet from last night

Edit - discussing it shortly

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Only listening to White and Jordan to see if there’s any mention of the Trevor Sinclair tweet from last night

Trev will be waking up with a sore head I'm sure. They will surely pretend that never happened and airbrush him from the TS rota.

Edit : I'm listening to bloody Talksport now. I blame you.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Oh FFS. Is that necessary?

Surely going ahead and having a minute’s silence would be a more fitting tribute?!

4 bloody weeks without a game!

people have been absolutely hammered on SM for saying this .......Trevor Sinclair though ....hmmmm not so much , lots of deleted stuff but not sure what its all about to be fair , im over it anyway.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The ‘10 days’ refers to the official protocols around her death, Charlie’s accession, the lying in state and the funeral etc, not necessarily anything else that might or might not go ahead - those decisions are for the organisations and businesses etc to make.

Not sure that's the reality. There is Official Mourning Guidance and pressure from the Government (DCMS). I will be amazed if anything happens this weekend.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think allowing the games to go ahead and for people to pay their respects in public would be a far more respectful thing to do than cancelling the games. A collective public display of respect could be cathartic for many, much better than being left with an empty afternoon.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Premier League games this weekend.

Not sure that's the reality. There is Official Mourning Guidance and pressure from the Government (DCMS). I will be amazed if anything happens this weekend.

Chair of the DCMS was interviewed earlier and basically said there’s no legalisation for UKG to stop sporting events but the decision will be left for the sporting bodies to decide with a strong recommendation that games are cancelled.

Let’s see how the world wide reaching Premier League react

Personally I don’t see any issue with games taking place if marks of respect / reflection are built in

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Chair of the DCMS was interviewed earlier and basically said there’s no legalisation for UKG to stop sporting events but the decision will be left for the sporting bodies to decide with a strong recommendation that games are cancelled.

Let’s see how the world wide reaching Premier League react

Personally I don’t see any issue with games taking place if marks of respect / reflection are built in

Its we can’t tell you to but we really really really think you should

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Trev will be waking up with a sore head I'm sure. They will surely pretend that never happened and airbrush him from the TS rota.

Edit : I'm listening to bloody Talksport now. I blame you.

His Twitter has disappeared - the screen shots and Jordan’s response haven’t though.

TS were quite quick in distancing themselves from his personal views

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Just had an email through to say they've now cancelled all National League system, FA trophy and grassroots fixtures scheduled for this weekend. Ridiculous. What are we supposed to do this weekend, crawl up on our sofa's and cry our eyes out for 2 days. This is nonsense, we're such a backward country at times.

Surely everyone getting together, enjoying British culture and life would be a far more fitting tribute.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just had an email through to say they've now cancelled all National League system, FA trophy and grassroots fixtures scheduled for this weekend. Ridiculous. What are we supposed to do this weekend, crawl up on our sofa's and cry our eyes out for 2 days. This is nonsense, we're such a backward country at times.

Surely everyone getting together, enjoying British culture and life would be a far more fitting tribute.

I agree

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
My understanding is that there are two things to be balanced (I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been said).

Obviously there is the need to mourn and pay respects, and sporting bodies will have to decide how this is best done.

In addition to this, there is the fact that police resource has needed to be moved. When the Tour of Britain (cycling) was called off last night, it was reported that a major factor in this decision was that Police forces were no longer able to guarantee that they would have the resource available to support the event, as Police resources may be required elsewhere.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'll be open and upfront and say I'll be slightly resentful if my sport viewing is affected by her passing. All the tributes, blanket media coverage, wearing black, marking it respectfully, a massive ceremony on the day. All fine. But allowing sport, music, laughing and joking isn't disrespectful in any way. She did her role brilliantly and should be celebrated not make the place a misery, harm the economy at this time etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here