[Football] Premier League games this weekend - POSTPONED

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think the majority's reaction to this enforced cancellation of fun in the midst of the shitstorm we are living through tells you all you need to know about how the monarchy is really viewed by ordinary people.

Two minutes silence at every social gathering and a national day of mourning of the day of the funeral was the call, not this bollocks.

you just twigged how controlled you are.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It’s not over the top at all , it’s paying proper respect to the most loved & longest serving monarch your country has ever had . I think it’s completely the right decision. It’s also very handy for Btn to sort out a new manager etc and hopefully give him time to bed in . It’s a win win . Or a no brainer as we yanks say !

I absolutely agree.

There seems to be a bit of an age split here with younger people viewing this badly.

For me I think it is important that they learn to respect. The Queen dedicated her whole life to service of our country. That is a lesson that is worth learning. To carry on normally does not mark that properly. Kids will remember this, and perhaps learn a bit more about it as a result.

It is the right decision.

And selfishly for us a club a 3 week break couldn't come at a better time.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
One helluva disjointed season this one, will be the end of the year before it gets into any kind of stride

And that is not because the Queen died. It is because AS ALWAYS football chases the money (or at least FIFA did in this case) and chose to hold a world cup in a non footballing country just for the pounds/dollars.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I absolutely agree.

There seems to be a bit of an age split here with younger people viewing this badly.

For me I think it is important that they learn to respect. The Queen dedicated her whole life to service of our country. That is a lesson that is worth learning. To carry on normally does not mark that properly. Kids will remember this, and perhaps learn a bit more about it as a result.

I'm 55 and I think it is a ridiculous decision. Notwithstanding the impact on fans attending the games, the staff at the stadiums and the businesses that depend on these games for precious revenue in very hard times, the matches would have provided a wonderful opportunity for the game to pay its respects across the country. A unifying moment of reflection prior to kickoff would have been very moving.

What is the correct way to pay your respects? and who gets to decide?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I absolutely agree.

Bizarre. How does calling off Maidstone V Solihull Moors - Whilst keeping the pubs and restaurants open - teach the kids a bit about respect?

The kids I teach football and cricket to tend to learn respect off their coaches. Something that won't be happening this weekend sadly.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Joke of decision. Forcing people to adjust their lives at short notice, for someone they dont even know or possibly even care about. Farcical

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bizarre. How does calling off Maidstone V Solihull Moors - Whilst keeping the pubs and restaurants open - teach the kids a bit about respect?

The kids I teach football and cricket to tend to learn respect off their coaches. Something that won't be happening this weekend sadly.

agree, its random. we dont really do "mourning" in this country like others - no public holiday - so its odd how some organisations will stop some wont. silence before games would have been a fitting and widely observed mark of respect, instead people will just be dispersed through other activities.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've no strong objection to sporting events being postponed as a mark of respect. I'm 46

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
agree, its random. we dont really do "mourning" in this country like others - no public holiday - so its odd how some organisations will stop some wont. silence before games would have been a fitting and widely observed mark of respect, instead people will just be dispersed through other activities.

Yup, we’re all at work today, fine to cancel the entertainment if the daily toil is also cancelled, but both or neither by my book.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It is an interesting decision as it has not been dictated by government but an understandable one, to me anyway. Tomorrow's horse racing has now been cancelled and St Leger meeting moved to Sunday instead. A tad over the top to cancel next weekend's football as well unless that is when the funeral is.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
But you remember what happened the last time a reigning Monarch died?

Clearly not, unfortunately and as someone who sponsors a lot of youth sport I really feel for your under 12s, but this is the death of the greatest ever Briton, a one off in the history of the nation, sadly we have to go with what they dictate.

Who are you happy to "dictate" to us?

Her Majesty has passed and that, for most of us, is a sad event. It is for the family and those closest to her to mourn her passing. For the rest of us perhaps a moment to reflect and give thanks for her life of dedicated service.

I'm not joining with the BBC's agenda of trying to plunge the entire country into a deep depression, neither do I favour the wish of some to "shut things down". Does our economy need another kick in the balls?

To deprive us of sport, and particularly to deprive youngsters of their sport, is totally unnecessary and completely inappropriate.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But you remember what happened the last time a reigning Monarch died?

Clearly not, unfortunately and as someone who sponsors a lot of youth sport I really feel for your under 12s, but this is the death of the greatest ever Briton, a one off in the history of the nation, sadly we have to go with what they dictate.

The last time an English monarch died was 6 Feb 1952. There were apparently league football on 6th and 7th and the two Saturdays following

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've reserved comment on all this up to now.

I think it is very sad for the family of a 96 year old Mother, Grandmother and Great Grandmother that she has died and my thoughts go out to them. When my own 96 year old Grandmother (and Mother, Great Grandmother and Great Great Grandmother) died suddenly our family were upset, but not shocked. The funeral turned into a wonderful celebration of her life which we all thoroughly enjoyed, as would she, had she been able.

There is also no doubt that she had given sterling service to the country and that should be recognised and respected, as it has been over the last day, and will be on the day of the funeral. I can also understand that there are people who never having met her or known her are feeling very upset at her passing, probably because of that service and what she represents and that should also be respected.

However, I do feel that the current situation is becoming excessive with 10 days of mourning and the cessation of all sporting events. It does not recognise the fact that what is probably a significant proportion of the British population, whilst showing the respect I have outlined above, have no reason or desire for this and probably find it inordinate, and their wishes should be respected too.

I feel it would be as selfish as me saying 'This is great for the Albion, bugger everyone else'.

I always thought that paying respects was deeply personal and certainly not something where my beliefs should be forced on others.

Last edited:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Absolutely pathetic groupthink nonsense. People are perfectly entitled to spend their day quietly reflecting if that's what they want to do, but why impose that on everyone else.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You have to say, if you’re going to lose a manager mid-season, having a four week break between matches is a Godsend. Plus, assuming we get the new manager in, he/she has another six week break just a month and a half later!!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I absolutely agree.

We can pay our respects without shutting the country down.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So rugby, cricket and golf can go ahead this weekend and racing on Sunday.

And ALL football including kids has to be cancelled. WTF?!

Beyond ludicrous decision. They’ve judged this terribly, it’s made me and many others totally resentful to the whole thing.

10 ****ing days of utter bollocks. Get on with the funeral and move the **** on with life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports