Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Sunderland go bottom of PL

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Very few Sunderland players expected to be in a relegation battle this season, everyone at Palace knew we 100% would be.

The difference in attitude is quite extraordinary, we're not blessed with talent but we're a damn sight better than Blunderland at present.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
The down side of Sunderland going down could be add ons from bridcutt transfer, a 3 million offer for Buckley and 6 million offer for ulloa, both very good offers which could be reinvested

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
To be fair, if you'd kept Holloway you would have been pretty bloody close to beating Derby and their 9 point talley.

TP was an inspired pick... Sadly.

Yep. Was gutted when they appointed him. Had a feeling he'd do it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I believe he is given a list drawn up by Burke and has to choose from that list. I accept I may be wrong but we were signing players when he first arrived here who he could not possibly have seen play.

I feel Oscar has had nowhere near the spending power or input that Poyet had. That is reflected in the fact that we have had one striker for most of this season which is a ridiculous handicap for a club looking to get out of this division. When we did have two Ulloa spend most that time injured, once he came back Barnes was sold.

Whilst I would not dream of criticising what Bloom has done for this club he should be taking some of the flak now being directed at Oscar, with one hand tied behind his back, in what he is expected to achieve by so many Albion fans. Alternatively we have to forget comparing how he has done in comparison to how free spending Poyet did.

Maybe Oscar doesn't want a say in transfers

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
As others have alluded to the problem for me is not the budget given to the manager but the seemingly poor use of the funds available. This is particularly true of January when we lost two goal scorers and haven't replaced them. To me it is the biggest concern far exceeding the negative football when you consider the vast number of players out of contract in the summer. The efforts this year does not point to a successful recruitment drive in the summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well hope for that then

Nope I am willing to give him the time to bring in players of his choice as I don't believe for a minute that he's not interested in being involved as you suggested.

The early season signings may well have been done for him as he could not possibly have known about Championship players at the time and players needed to be signed. That I could understand, even if it was less than ideal. Oscar will know exactly what is required now, question is will he get the backing I don't believe he has had so far.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

How the hell would you know this? I now have a vision of him sitting in his office saying " Just sign who you like Nathan, I don't care who it is as I can't be arsed to get involved "

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
How the hell would you know this? I now have a vision of him sitting in his office saying " Jus sign who you like Nathan, I don't care who it is as I can't be arsed to get involved "

From what I've been told he has only asked for a specific type of player and has had no involvement beyond that. Suggested no names and given Burke nothing more to go on.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
From what I've been told he has only asked for a specific type of player and has had no involvement beyond that. Suggested no names and given Burke nothing more to go on.

Come on, do you REALLY believe that any manager would be that carefree?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Come on, do you REALLY believe that any manager would be that disinterested?

It's how it works in Spain apparently.... I agree it's shocking and I don't want to believe it. But he is the 'head coach' and doesn't see recruitment as this thing

However there is some evidence to back it up, a number of players we've signed haven't got any match action at all, Lita, Obika, Agustein and recently Stephens has been kept out by Andrews and JFC. Something isn't right and bearing in mind Burke seemed to work well with Gus and we signed some good players the issue points to Oscar currently.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It's how it works in Spain apparently.... I agree it's shocking and I don't want to believe it. But he is the 'head coach' and doesn't see recruitment as this thing

However there is some evidence to back it up, a number of players we've signed haven't got any match action at all, Lita, Obika, Agustein and recently Stephens has been kept out by Andrews and JFC. Something isn't right and bearing in mind Burke seemed to work well with Gus and we signed some good players the issue points to Oscar currently.
Bit harsh on Oscar,from what I read and heard we tried to get players in,a couple visiting the stadium,but we were priced out of the market....hardly Oscars fault is it.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
That guy started about 10 threads yesterday on a fishing trip, this was one.

To be honest going down does not matter to me and has not for weeks as I said on here a while ago that day out at the cup final is something we have not had for a long time and the first I have been to other than another final I do not think I would get that feeling again from Football and as it was my first may never again. No amount of promotion or relegation can compare to that. Sunderland are a yo-yo side so this is just part of been a fan.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Bit harsh on Oscar,from what I read and heard we tried to get players in,a couple visiting the stadium,but we were priced out of the market....hardly Oscars fault is it.

I don't know ?

I've heard various reasons why some players haven't signed, some involve money and some involve people at the club. Problem is something has changed recruitment wise and that is the main issue

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Kinda feel sorry for him as he took over when they were dead last with just a point from their first 7 or 8 games, if Di canio had picked up even just a measley 5 or 6 pts from those games Sunderland would be in a much better position.

Under Poyet Sunderland have won 12 out of 32 games, not bad for a struggling PL side. It's the crap start which will send them down, not Poyet. If Poyet was in charge from day 1 Sunderland would stay up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here