Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet's Sunderland go bottom of PL

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If relegated, although Sunderland will have parachute money and the backing of Ellis Short, their PL-geared outgoings will be vast - running that stadium, the wages of the likes of Poyet, Brown, OShea, Johnson, Ji, Sessegnon, and so on. Their payroll bill almost matches their PL turnover. So with FL FFP it won't be straight forward in bouncing straight back up to the PL. There would have to be sales of some key players - I can't see that going down well with budget-obsessed Poyet.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Poyet must be in the frame for the soon-to-be-vacant Torquay manager's position. I would say Portsmouth, but I think they'll be aiming a little bit higher.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If relegated, although Sunderland will have parachute money and the backing of Ellis Short, their PL-geared outgoings will be vast - running that stadium, the wages of the likes of Poyet, Brown, OShea, Johnson, Ji, Sessegnon, and so on. Their payroll bill almost matches their PL turnover. So with FL FFP it won't be straight forward in bouncing straight back up to the PL. There would have to be sales of some key players - I can't see that going down well with budget-obsessed Poyet.

Sessegnon and ji are not Sunderland players.

Big earners contracts expire.

They'll be fine with Johnson, mannone, catermole and fletcher who would raise £25m between them.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
There's no way you'll go down. Pulis might play dreadful football but I don't think anyone else would have kept you up.

Is it dreadful or just effective ? This was my main worry when tony was appointed ,the style of play , but we havent ever played pretty football . Give me a team of 100% commited players who will play to a system which suits their abilitys who dont give up !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tonys for not making funds available over the last 3 years to buy strikers
capable of getting the albion promoted

So as well as already coughing up c. £150m and the club having now outlawed massive annual accounting losses (we spent far more than we earned), TB should have spent even more of his personal money in breach of FFP? That sounds just like the opinion of self centred Poyet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Err no, he had a bagful of money to spend last time leaving our current manager with close on f all. He wouldn't have got us anywhere near the playoffs this season with the injuries we've had. In fact he would probably have walked a few months ago.

How can Oscar have nothing when we're told his budget was up on last season?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
On the bright side we won't be playing them for at least another year so less complications for our promotion push next year (or will we!!!!)

true, without being concerned with Palace, and having got over losing the manager and taking forever to sort outa new one, hopefully the team can concentrate on playing football next season!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it dreadful or just effective ? This was my main worry when tony was appointed ,the style of play , but we havent ever played pretty football . Give me a team of 100% commited players who will play to a system which suits their abilitys who dont give up !

I hate to say it when you're Palace, but I agree with you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Does anyone really believe that??

I can only imagine it was smoke and mirrors with spin based on the wages we were committed to but without the 2 million to sign Ulloa. I do not believe that Oscar has had anywhere near the spending power on players that Poyet had. If he has had the money to sign a CMS or Ulloa then I suggest he is pretty useless in the transfer market (which I don't believe he is, he just hasn't been given the funds imo)

Maybe we have had to pay the full wages of Andrews and Ward ( which I believe are astronomical) whereas last year we paid a small portion of Bridges wages. That would take up a very large wedge of the budget if it is around 30k a week as rumoured.

Last edited:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I want sunderland to go down more than palace.

palace can wait a few years.....but poyer and bridcutt is fresh and they totally disrespected the club and fans.

There can be a big difference between a budget (ie the plan) and what is actually spent in the end. Last season there seemed to be elements of over budget expenditure on players (eg the purchase of Ulloa); this would have been authorised by the Board and is reflected in the increased and extensive losses for 2012/3 that BHA FC posted last month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here