Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet sacked again

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I can't wait for Poyet to get another managers job.
NSC will have yet another thread were everybody, myself included, can say exactly the same, all over again.

It's not just Poyet though is it? We've been recycling the same old shit for each new generation of NSCers since 1996. Most of my posts are cut and pasted from the 2000/2001 season, including this one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not just Poyet though is it? We've been recycling the same old shit for each new generation of NSCers since 1996. Most of my posts are cut and pasted from the 2000/2001 season, including this one.
:lol: as is mine.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A real shame for him that he didn't have more patience. He could have completed the dream with us and made a real name for himself.

No skin of our nose. Everything is just fine with Hughton at the helm.

Agreed, his massive ego was the one thing that let him down. A very good manager otherwise.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
True, backing by the board financially makes a big difference too. Poyet was the best backed manager since Mullery. The success was not just down to Poyet. Let's not forget he generally choked, with his negative tactics, when the big games came along in the Championship.

Yep, when one considers that we had just splashed out on Ulloa, the next month Poyet was threatening Bloom about leaving. You don't secure financial investment when you show that you are not committed yourself, it's a backwards thinking mentality. Poyet is either stupid or he takes very bad advice from his agent.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But can he dance like Pardew :goal::rave:
No-one can dance like Pardew!

4ea4dbc214289a34ab33a974627c720a.gif

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Agreed, his massive ego was the one thing that let him down. A very good manager otherwise.

Ego wasn't the biggest problem for me. Many successful leaders in all areas of business / sport / politics have big egos.

Poyet's biggest failing is his judgement and temperament and those flaws will continually see him fail in any leadership role he undertakes. If he needs to earn a living he would be best just sticking to media gigs.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Gus Poyet and Chris Hughton are very different managers, who advocate playing football in totally opposing ways. For that reason alone I think Chris would have found it difficult to achieve promotion with a team geared to playing football to a Gus system.

Similarly the players that Chris has at the club now would find it difficult to adapt to Gus's way of playing the game.

Yes, this is very much the case. No need to look back too much. Enjoy the now and look forward. Gus will not be returning whilst Tony is here, and hopefully that will be for a long time. That should explain where our loyalties should lie.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yep, when one considers that we had just splashed out on Ulloa, the next month Poyet was threatening Bloom about leaving. You don't secure financial investment when you show that you are not committed yourself, it's a backwards thinking mentality. Poyet is either stupid or he takes very bad advice from his agent.

Or maybe a bit of both?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He had us playing nice 'tippy tappy' football which generally went down well. Certainly he was a bit on the defensive side and the entertainment in the Championship was behind what we are seeing now.

He was good for Brighton for a long while but it is unfortunate that the divorce became acrimonious.

That's where I am as well.

There were times when our football was sublime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Have to disagree. Whilst I loved the guy while he was here looking back afterwards he really should have walked this league with the team he had when we only finished 4th.
With the likes of Bridge, Upson, Vicente, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Barnes, Bruno etc at his disposal when the division was nowhere near as tough as it is now there is no excuse for not walking it especially when an average Cardiff and dull Hulll team that year went up.
And then the disgraceful way he finished his tenure he really let us and himself down.
CH is 10 times the manager (and man) than Gus will ever be

Only finished 4th. I think you are doing us a great disservice with that comment, but re-writing history is a general NSC hobby.

Was just thinking the same. If CH had those players we would never have drawn so many games, which was, in effect, why we finished outside the top two.

Are you talking about last season, where draws kept us out of the top 2? Ironic comment.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Gus Poyet and Chris Hughton are very different managers, who advocate playing football in totally opposing ways. For that reason alone I think Chris would have found it difficult to achieve promotion with a team geared to playing football to a Gus system.

Similarly the players that Chris has at the club now would find it difficult to adapt to Gus's way of playing the game.

Eloquently put :thumbsup:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Are you talking about last season, where draws kept us out of the top 2? Ironic comment.

Have just checked the stats and we drew one more game in 2012-13. CH seems to be more willing to put players on to go for a win, as opposed to Gus who stuck to plan A in games we should have looked to win.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have just checked the stats and we drew one more game in 2012-13. CH seems to be more willing to put players on to go for a win, as opposed to Gus who stuck to plan A in games we should have looked to win.

Sorry I have to disagree there. Whilst not arguing with that stats, I don't think the reason that we drew (just one) more game was down to Gus being a negative manager. In fact I can remember him saying that he set out to win every game that we played, home or away.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Sorry I have to disagree there. Whilst not arguing with that stats, I don't think the reason that we drew (just one) more game was down to Gus being a negative manager. In fact I can remember him saying that he set out to win every game that we played, home or away.
I agree he wasn't a negative manager. We didn't play as well against sides who pressed us, and when we couldn't pass the ball into the net, GP would not change the formation or style of play.

CH has been a more successful manager in his career because he is prepared to react to the game and adjust the style of play accordingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here