Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet sacked again

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have to disagree. Whilst I loved the guy while he was here looking back afterwards he really should have walked this league with the team he had when we only finished 4th.
With the likes of Bridge, Upson, Vicente, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Barnes, Bruno etc

Bridge perhaps just above Bong but not by much
Upson No better than an improved Dunk or Duffy
Vicente hardly played due to injury and not as influential as AK
Bridcutt not better than Stephens and Sidwell on current form.
Ulloa much the same as Murray who is proven at this level.
Bruno is Bruno but is playing better
Barnes possibly better than Baldock but not sure that he offers more to0 the team.

So his imports are not that much better if any than we have now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just a shame his coaching and man-management ability didn't live up to his sales pitch then. A manager the calibre of Hughton would have walked the league that year with those players. Gus has been found out.

Were the players that good though? With the exception of Ulloa, who has mainly been a bench warmer, none have gone on to significantly better things since leaving the club. Buckley and Bridcutt were both found out at Sunderland, Tommy K has bounced around the Championship, Greer is now at Blackburn(?) Hammond has never been a Premier League regular and Orlandi, Calde and Spanish Dave had to go abroad to find a new club.

We were a decent team, but not streets ahead of that division.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Bridcutt's only Wikipedia photo still has him in his 2011 BHA kit. Obviously made a big splash elsewhere. In fact so does Buckley's!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
An excellent manager for us who sadly left on bad terms. Not sure why people feel the need to lambaste him so often really - he did very well for us.

It's like a relationship that ended badly. You can obsess on the bad but that only ever drags you down. Just, occasionally, remember the good times with a smile. That's what I do,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poyet did brilliantly until he reached his ceiling which he managed to twist into it being the Albion's ceiling, whilst touting himself at every opportunity. I will NEVER forgive his post Palace interview, which was all about him, the wanker.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Forest must be about to look for a new manager.

So I reckon Gus to Forest.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Were the players that good though? With the exception of Ulloa, who has mainly been a bench warmer, none have gone on to significantly better things since leaving the club. Buckley and Bridcutt were both found out at Sunderland, Tommy K has bounced around the Championship, Greer is now at Blackburn(?) Hammond has never been a Premier League regular and Orlandi, Calde and Spanish Dave had to go abroad to find a new club.

We were a decent team, but not streets ahead of that division.

A trifle harsh when it comes to former players I think, whilst I agree totally re Bridcutt and Bucley, Leo Ulloa has a Premier League winners medal to his name, Tommy Elphick I presume you mean? was captain at Bournemouth in the Premier League, and the other four, Greer, Calde, Orlandi and Lopez are all at the tail end or their careers anyway..

I don't think Gus Poyet necessarily had the 'best' players in his squad, merely those that he thought could adapt to his system better.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
An excellent manager for us who sadly left on bad terms. Not sure why people feel the need to lambaste him so often really - he did very well for us.

It's like a relationship that ended badly. You can obsess on the bad but that only ever drags you down. Just, occasionally, remember the good times with a smile. That's what I do,

Well said. My feelings to a tee.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
A trifle harsh when it comes to former players I think, whilst I agree totally re Bridcutt and Bucley, Leo Ulloa has a Premier League winners medal to his name, Tommy Elphick I presume you mean? was captain at Bournemouth in the Premier League, and the other four, Greer, Calde, Orlandi and Lopez are all at the tail end or their careers anyway..

I don't think Gus Poyet necessarily had the 'best' players in his squad, merely those that he thought could adapt to his system better.

I meant the Pole in goal, but have never been the best at spelling his name.

Poyet's behaviour the night of the Palace defeat was childish and embarrassing, and that is why so many have a negative opinion of him. He could have been more statesmanlike, as CH was at when we lost to Wednesday, but instead Gus threw his toys out.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Bridge perhaps just above Bong but not by much
Upson No better than an improved Dunk or Duffy
Vicente hardly played due to injury and not as influential as AK
Bridcutt not better than Stephens and Sidwell on current form.
Ulloa much the same as Murray who is proven at this level.
Bruno is Bruno but is playing better
Barnes possibly better than Baldock but not sure that he offers more to0 the team.

So his imports are not that much better if any than we have now.

You've completely misunderstood my point - I was not saying those players were better than what we have now. I think we have a much better team now .
I just think Gus underachieved with a very good set of players and a good manager would have done better than 4 th place

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You need a lot more than luck for your team to win League One, and then very nearly get promoted to the Premier League.

True, backing by the board financially makes a big difference too. Poyet was the best backed manager since Mullery. The success was not just down to Poyet. Let's not forget he generally choked, with his negative tactics, when the big games came along in the Championship.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't wait for Poyet to get another managers job.
NSC will have yet another thread were everybody, myself included, can say exactly the same, all over again.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A real shame for him that he didn't have more patience. He could have completed the dream with us and made a real name for himself.

No skin of our nose. Everything is just fine with Hughton at the helm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here