Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet sacked again

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Whilst noone would disagree that he did very well for us, he has been found out. With no Plan B, he will never achieve at the highest level. I think what irks people also, was the Reading situation, and the alleged situation surrounding the Play-off home leg.

That's fair comment,comments i share but my energy and focus is forward looking,it's his loss,we have a better all round manager now,a better club thanks to Poyet and whilst it's good on occasion,healthy too to look back,i prefer to enjoy what we have now and well that's just me..

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
That's fair comment,comments i share but my energy and focus is forward looking,it's his loss,we have a better all round manager now,a better club thanks to Poyet and whilst it's good on occasion,healthy too to look back,i prefer to enjoy what we have now and well that's just me..
[emoji106]

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He his his own personal 'ceiling' when he made those comments after the play off game. He will never have a better job or opportunity to build something like he did with us. Meanwhile, we don't look back, only forward with Sir Chris.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Whilst noone would disagree that he did very well for us, he has been found out. With no Plan B, he will never achieve at the highest level. I think what irks people also, was the Reading situation, and the alleged situation surrounding the Play-off home leg.

Craig No one?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He needs a break, he is risking his reputation further with every unsuitable job he takes. Needs to find another project like Albion were when he took over in order to regain a bit of credibility. Can't see any PL club or any of the top half of the Championship willing to take the risk on a short-tempered motormouth that picks fights with chairmen and gobs off in the media anyway.

Maybe his job at the Albion was as good as it will get for him. Shame he thought he was bigger than the club.

low-ceiling_0307sm.jpg

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I like Gus, he's not boring like some managers. Plus he was very good for us in his tenure.

Anyone else still got their 'Hola Gus' T shirts from Withdean? Mine is still unworn! :D

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He needs a break, he is risking his reputation further with every unsuitable job he takes. Needs to find another project like Albion were when he took over in order to regain a bit of credibility. Can't see any PL club or any of the top half of the Championship willing to take the risk on a short-tempered motormouth that picks fights with chairmen and gobs off in the media anyway.

Wherever he ends up, he'll be hard-pushed to find a more supportive chairman than Tony Bloom. Poyet's loss is Chris Hughton's gain.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I enjoyed the ride under Gus but looking back I think I just glossed over the arrogance and self-importance and focused on the football.

He has the potential to be a really good coach but he seems to think he's a lot better than he actually is. Plus I'm not sure he's a very astute judge of players.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Poyet has his very distinctive style of playing that needs time to bed in at a club. He was given that time with us and it paid huge dividends, but here at Betis and before at Sunderland the owners couldn't afford to flirt with relegation whilst waiting for it to come in. Their loss.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does he still have a house in Chelsfield near Orpington? Or was possibly on hand if QPR came running.

He rented that house from the, then. Charlton chairman.

Why do you keep going on about QPR? They've appointed Ian Holloway again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that the then chairman of Charlton lived in the house next door to Gus but wouldnt argue. I think that QPR was the ideal job for him in all respects and appointing wurzel again is their loss and a mistake/ I believe he would have consolidated this season and reformed them as he did us and they would be promotion contenders next season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I enjoyed the ride under Gus but looking back I think I just glossed over the arrogance and self-importance and focused on the football.

He has the potential to be a really good coach but he seems to think he's a lot better than he actually is. Plus I'm not sure he's a very astute judge of players.

It doesn't always matter how good or how bad you are as a Manager in football as to whether you work in a good job further down the line or not.

It depends a lot on how the break up between the club and the Manager plays out. If the Manager leaves a club and he bad mouths a previous club in public then a lot of reputable clubs won't touch you again and that limits what type of club and what type of Chairman will touch you in the future.

A decent coach will always get jobs but the ones which take you on after you have bad mouthed a previous club will be chairmen who need a quick fix and who will look at you as easily expendable. Contrast that to a Manager who says nothing negative about a club. The type of Chairmen who will take you on might be the type of people will allow you ''within reason'' to have a bit of time to work on and build a team over a 2 or 3 year period and to implement a Youth Policy structure at the club.

It's a results driven business all right but if a Chairmen allows you to invest in the Youth Structure as well as the first team then you know that you are not brought in just as a quick fix.

Gus is seen by many clubs now as a potentially quick fix and an expendable quick fix at that and if he doesn't fix things quickly he will be gone. And for that he only has himself to blame due to his self satisfying ego.

I don't know if he is a good coach or not but he doesn't strike me as the most likeable person on the planet. Nor the most honest or loyal

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Which is why you posted on this thread. Just to tell us that you can ignore it.

Frightfully sorry to intrude on your Saturday morning.

And I did not post 'just to tell you that I can ignore it'. You posted a statement ('we can't ignore him') which I considered to be bo11ocks, so I indicated that I had a different opinion to your's. I expressed my disagreement more politely the first time......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here