Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet NOT to Reading thread

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's what he should of done if he was focused on the job, he's now reported as wanting 24 hours to mull it over FFS!

If this is true and if I were Tony, I'd be lining up his replacement now, regardless of his final decision his days would be numbered.

8 Games to go and a real shot at a play off place and he's considering jumping ship? tells you everything you you need to know about the character of the man!

If this is true then Reading or whoever are welcome to him.

I'll go along with this appraisal.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh get over yourself, 4th > 7th

My take on this is that even though we are rivals, I think it would be a pretty crazy decision for him to leave. Reading are doomed to relegation and you have a shot at replacing them. Must be all about the evil dollar, sad but true.

And this (if allowed to agree with a Palace?)

Crofty

Sep 27, 2011
I think the words he used were "An offer from a club that is out of this world"
However you look at it that is not Reading!

Nope..."just outside the M4 maybe"....but then as the man himself has said "I have only been at Brighton so I have a way to go yet"......looks a cast iron certainty he is leaving. What a fecking time to jump ship...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Gus doesn't want the Reading job then I'd hope things could go back to the way they were. But can they? I'll still back him, but singing "Gus Poyet's Blue and White Army" won't be quite the same.

There are actually a lot of similarities with Roberto Martinez at Swansea. He got them up from League 1 and they finished 8th in 2008/09 with a tally of 68 points - 6 from the play-off positions. Coincidentally, what cost them that season was loads of draws - 20 in fact, with 16 wins and 10 defeats. He also left to join relegation-threatened Wigan but after the season-end. Even so Swansea fans weren't happy about it.

Therefore, if anyone is looking for us to "Do A Swansea" then Gus leaving would be repeating the pattern. To continue it you wonder what are the chances of an ex-Chelsea man taking us up to the Prem - Di Matteo anyone?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can remember the sheer joy with which many of you lot greeted the news that Dougie Freedman was leaving CPFC for Bolton and I can also sympathise with how you are feeling now. Not nice is it?

I was offering a little empathy but have it your way you sad w*nker....
That was empathy? It didn't come across like that.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Poyet to Reading thread, massively odds on, (maybe) in talks with them [merged]

Well Gus must be pretty slow about 'thinking it over'.

No damage done yet, and I think this episode can be spun away, just, but I reckon we need a decision soon.

Loan strikers do not sign themselves and a replacement now only has 7 days to get one.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
That's what he should of done if he was focused on the job, he's now reported as wanting 24 hours to mull it over FFS!

If this is true and if I were Tony, I'd be lining up his replacement now, regardless of his final decision his days would be numbered.

8 Games to go and a real shot at a play off place and he's considering jumping ship? tells you everything you you need to know about the character of the man!

If this is true then Reading or whoever are welcome to him.
#

I feel a strongly worded letter coming on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
I honestly believe this whole affair is a win win for BHA whatever the outcome.

A. If he GP stays, it gives us a fairly stable run in and a crack at one of the remaining playoff spots. Ultimately it also gives TB the upper hand, by sticking to the gentlemans agreement of allowing him to speak to any Premier Clubs showing interest, and should GP turn it down, Bloom knows that all the hot air and constant moaning in his ear by GP is just that, hot air...the situation that Gus finds himself in at BHA really is one that is hard to compete with. Thus allowing Bloom to keep a strong grip on his financial plan and keeping Gus on his toes.

B. If Gus goes, so be it. BHA are without doubt one of the finest job prospects out there, the transformation of the club to what it is today is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We have the best owner with the best plans and offers plenty of freedom to a manager to run a team with very little board interference, only on the money side does the board get involved. Perfect. What high end manager would not want to be involved with BHA.

IF he stays, great, if he goes potentially even better. So we may not go up this year, but we will keep moving forward and upwards. A bigger concern would be the loss of Sir Bloom.

daib0

Nov 20, 2011
Spain - England
I know darned well that it's a dangerous moment to come on here as a Reading fan in all this, but you'll also know from my track record that I'm 105% in peace, in fact I even helped a permanent ban of a fellow Reading fan a ban on here when he caused problems for all of you back in Christmas 2011. I'm also a level-headed mod on Royals Rendezvous, the Reading forum (the friendly one I mean). I'm not overly enthusiastic about the poaching of any 'in work' manager whilst contracts are fully in force, we've - all fans - surely suffered there at some point in the past, just about every club. The Pardew business of a decade still rings badly amongst some Royals fans, and I hardly need to mention the other way round and 'Sir Steve'. In spite of all the press reports, I'm still not convinced that this supposed move is the first option for the club by any means; I understood that Adkins was the likely bet, at surface level he would seem to fit in better with the 'Reading' way. And what's the Reading way then? I think it's not playing the 'big club' syndrome, not buying big, using the academy system to good effect, managers working their way up or who were previously connected with the club, and a historical conscious. To many of us who well remember the club as a third and fourth tier side, the Chelski style is from another planet. As once said on here, the late 70s game when you bet us 3-2 at Elm park (old 3rd Div) was one of my favourite Reading FC memories of all time, despite us losing. Although Reading can hardly be described as the most exciting town in the South - ha-ha, I'll give you that - a good number of us are really decent fans, and the last thing we want is to create bitterness with yourselves for something that is out of our hands as fans. If Poyet's name has come so much to the surface I'd just ask you to consider it huge compliment for his track record in putting Brighton as an emerging name at/near the top of the footballing ladder, as indeed I'd class Reading too. I believe we both will be major players in the premier in 2020, so the last thing I want is for the fans as a whole to create animosity. But we still don't know much about the Zingarevich era, his pretty wife gets the same attention as his policies, and we don't know when the old owner Sir John Madejski (still officially chairman) will bow out. We want financial improvement but also discretion and not go for bust. As I said, it'll be much cleaner choosing from other 'candidates' but if this deal were to come off and any Reading fan came on gloating then he/she is no true football fan in my eyes.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
It sounds like he is going to go according to the Independent.

They said he has met with the owners? That can't be true as he in Barbados surely?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If someone takes him, we get paid £2m. If Tony told him to leave, we pay him a load of money. Hopefully Tony values his millions more than that, so Gus will be here until he takes another job.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I honestly believe this whole affair is a win win for BHA whatever the outcome.

A. If he GP stays, it gives us a fairly stable run in and a crack at one of the remaining playoff spots. Ultimately it also gives TB the upper hand, by sticking to the gentlemans agreement of allowing him to speak to any Premier Clubs showing interest, and should GP turn it down, Bloom knows that all the hot air and constant moaning in his ear by GP is just that, hot air...the situation that Gus finds himself in at BHA really is one that is hard to compete with. Thus allowing Bloom to keep a strong grip on his financial plan and keeping Gus on his toes.

B. If Gus goes, so be it. BHA are without doubt one of the finest job prospects out there, the transformation of the club to what it is today is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We have the best owner with the best plans and offers plenty of freedom to a manager to run a team with very little board interference, only on the money side does the board get involved. Perfect. What high end manager would not want to be involved with BHA.

IF he stays, great, if he goes potentially even better. So we may not go up this year, but we will keep moving forward and upwards. A bigger concern would be the loss of Sir Bloom.

I have worried on and off whether Gus will stay, or go, but you have put it into perspective for me, so many thanks for that.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
So folks, has he finished messing us around yet, or is he still 'mulling over' his offer from that very special football club? I've only just got in & can't face trawling through umpteen pages of stuff. Thanking y'all kindly in advance. :thumbsup:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
what was the info before?

Reading made an approach a few days ago before Gus left, Gus was offered the chance to talk to Reading as they were willing to meet our price, Gus refused to have talks as he doesnt want to join Reading - then he went on holiday to Barbados.

Nothing is happening still, dont even think the idiots at Sky Sports are running with the story anymore either.

Personally, id ignore ALL media except the BBC - they only post things that are actually correct which can be backed up with facts, rather than the tabloid bull**** and Sky Sports, which probably ran with the story to boost bets on the Reading job for Skybet.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I know darned well that it's a dangerous moment to come on here as a Reading fan in all this, but you'll also know from my track record that I'm 105% in peace, in fact I even helped a permanent ban of a fellow Reading fan a ban on here when he caused problems for all of you back in Christmas 2011. I'm also a level-headed mod on Royals Rendezvous, the Reading forum (the friendly one I mean). I'm not overly enthusiastic about the poaching of any 'in work' manager whilst contracts are fully in force, we've - all fans - surely suffered there at some point in the past, just about every club. The Pardew business of a decade still rings badly amongst some Royals fans, and I hardly need to mention the other way round and 'Sir Steve'. In spite of all the press reports, I'm still not convinced that this supposed move is the first option for the club by any means; I understood that Adkins was the likely bet, at surface level he would seem to fit in better with the 'Reading' way. And what's the Reading way then? I think it's not playing the 'big club' syndrome, not buying big, using the academy system to good effect, managers working their way up or who were previously connected with the club, and a historical conscious. To many of us who well remember the club as a third and fourth tier side, the Chelski style is from another planet. As once said on here, the late 70s game when you bet us 3-2 at Elm park (old 3rd Div) was one of my favourite Reading FC memories of all time, despite us losing. Although Reading can hardly be described as the most exciting town in the South - ha-ha, I'll give you that - a good number of us are really decent fans, and the last thing we want is to create bitterness with yourselves for something that is out of our hands as fans. If Poyet's name has come so much to the surface I'd just ask you to consider it huge compliment for his track record in putting Brighton as an emerging name at/near the top of the footballing ladder, as indeed I'd class Reading too. I believe we both will be major players in the premier in 2020, so the last thing I want is for the fans as a whole to create animosity. But we still don't know much about the Zingarevich era, his pretty wife gets the same attention as his policies, and we don't know when the old owner Sir John Madejski (still officially chairman) will bow out. We want financial improvement but also discretion and not go for bust. As I said, it'll be much cleaner choosing from other 'candidates' but if this deal were to come off and any Reading fan came on gloating then he/she is no true football fan in my eyes.

No way he's going to Reading so no need to worry about any of your fans gloating.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reading made an approach a few days ago before Gus left, Gus was offered the chance to talk to Reading as they were willing to meet our price, Gus refused to have talks as he doesnt want to join Reading - then he went on holiday to Barbados.

Nothing is happening still, dont even think the idiots at Sky Sports are running with the story anymore either.

Ta

odds have shortened i see.................................on this thread hitting 200 pages by midnight tomorrow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here