Poyet: "I would say we need to strengthen every single area of the team..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Interesting to hear so many people mention the mistake Casper made against Rochdale, I spoke to Casper at Carlisle, congratulated him on his performance that day as he made a couple of outstanding saves and then asked him about that goal against Rochdale.

His reply was that Tommy Elphick waas running towards him and he thought it was a Dale player so punched instead of catching. My thoughts immediately went to a thread on here after the Dale game where a lot of people were talking about Dale's purple kit and how it had been a clash with ours.

On top of this it was his first home game for us, i believe, and so still getting used to his team mates and i think we can excuse him that one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Interesting to hear so many people mention the mistake Casper made against Rochdale, I spoke to Casper at Carlisle, congratulated him on his performance that day as he made a couple of outstanding saves and then asked him about that goal against Rochdale.

His reply was that Tommy Elphick waas running towards him and he thought it was a Dale player so punched instead of catching. My thoughts immediately went to a thread on here after the Dale game where a lot of people were talking about Dale's purple kit and how it had been a clash with ours.

On top of this it was his first home game for us, i believe, and so still getting used to his team mates and i think we can excuse him that one.

What he said to you was exactly as I saw it and reported on here on the day. Their change kit was much to close to ours but it worked so you cant knock them and if anything blame the ref.

We had another game I think it may have been Oldham where they wore a flourescent kit and the hi viz jackets worn by the stewards on at least 2 occassions allowed us to play on when our player was blatantly offside but the stwards looked like players and the lino allowed us to carry on.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
///but actually his distribution can be poor alot of the time, he kicks the ball out of touch as much as Kuipers ever did, and virtually everytime he kicks it when it comes to him along the ground he falls over!

There is a less than subtle difference between Casper and Kuipers distribution, as well as many other keepers in the league. If you watch him closely on the very very few occasions he kicks the ball out, he is trying to find a Brighton player. He will hestitate until he finds an opportunity to do so.

Most goalkeepers will blindly kick the ball up field, which Casper could easily do if asked. But he doesn't - he tries to find a player, usually wide. It's a difficult thing to do and will often result in the ball going out of play.

So - take your choice. Kick the ball up field blindly which will result in usually the ball being headed back up our end by an opposing player - the Kuipers approach. Alternatively try and find a player. It will sometimes work, but will often lead to a throw in the opposing half. It's a calculated game of chance, with little risk.

Something fans often misunderstand about players is that they are mostly doing what they are told. I'd imagine it took a lot of convincing from Poyet that playing the ball around the back technique would work. He was right, we won the league.

Even if it doesn't work first time or most times, players will continue to do the same thing unless instructed otherwise by the bench. If Poyet didn't want to Casper to punch - he wouldn't. Blame Gus not the keeper.

I find him the most fascinating Brighton keeper I've ever had the opportunity to watch. Apart from El Adb, he is one that plays it closest to the script.

Players like that are gold-dust to managers, which is why (I know) Adam El Abd is the first on the team sheet and Casper (I'd imagine) is second.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Palace have been so shit for such a long time they wouldn't know a decent player if it sold them a fridge

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Palace have been so shit for such a long time they wouldn't know a decent player if it sold them a fridge

Bit rich coming a Brighton fan aint it? When was the last time you were in the top league?

Speroni would be in the Prem/Argentina squad if Fulham hadn't waited until the last day of the transfer window to sign him. Easily our best keeper since Nigel Martyn and ten times better than Ankergren...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And a goalkeeper.

Agree. Casper is a good GK - but Leeds knew they would have to get a better one for the Championship - that's why we were able to get Casper. He'll do, I'm sure, but would still like a better one now we're moving up a level.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Keeper is our LOWEST priority IMHO... so many other positions we need to strengthen, and that's assuming nobody leaves who we want to stay...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think that watching two keepers command their areas tonight shows that there are elements of his game that Casper needs to improve to be up there with the best but I entirely agree that another goalkeeper is relatively low priority with focus needed on central and wide midfielders who can hold and distribute under pressure, forwards who can hold the ball and hit the target with feet and head (taking the odd penalty successfully would be a bonus although there won't be as many to miss next year) cover for the fullbacks and a big ball-playing centreback. More than enough to keep Gus and Tanno busy................

BHAFC_4EVER

Apr 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Absolute bobbins.

Ankergrens distribution is an intrinsic part of our play, in fact most of our moves begin withn him. If his distribution was poor then he wouldn't be in Gus's team, end of. I'm sure occasionally (like every keeper) a kick will find touch now and then, but to compare his distribution with that of Kuipers is just daft.

And the only times I see him falling over is when he comes and claims the ball, just as a ploy to bide his time and let the defence get into position to receive. Long may it continue.

Wood's distribution is shite but he's in Gus's team and if you don't see him fall over when he kicks the ball you obviously haven't watched any game for the past season!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Personally I have no problem if Casper stays as he deserves his chance in a higher league.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
İbrahim Tatlıses;4104954 said:
He's not wrong.

We need a centre half, a full back, a central midfielder, a winger and a striker (or two).

We seems to have the peripheral players (full backs). We just need the spine in the side.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Personally I have no problem if Casper stays as he deserves his chance in a higher league.

I agree. Signing a new keeper would be a sign of Premiership ambition. I still think he may turn out to be the best keeper in the Championship. Already, he may be the best keeper we have ever had!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that watching two keepers command their areas tonight shows that there are elements of his game that Casper needs to improve to be up there with the best but I entirely agree that another goalkeeper is relatively low priority with focus needed on central and wide midfielders who can hold and distribute under pressure, forwards who can hold the ball and hit the target with feet and head (taking the odd penalty successfully would be a bonus although there won't be as many to miss next year) cover for the fullbacks and a big ball-playing centreback. More than enough to keep Gus and Tanno busy................

In the Championship I think we need a speedy central defender.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We seems to have the peripheral players (full backs). We just need the spine in the side.

Need cover in both full back positions don't we?

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Casper wasn't called Dracula for nothing whan he was at Leeds and let's be honest, he doesn't like crosses. Apart from that he is a better than average keeper who deserves a chance in The Championship. He plays two positions, goalkeeper and sweeper and it must be to our advantage that we have "twelve players" on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports