Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: "I would say we need to strengthen every single area of the team..

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Ankergren's reaction shot stopping is good, obviously his distribution. But he 's not great on crosses and he tends to spill things he should hold quite a bit, I think those flaws will be much more exposed in the Championship than they have been in this uver dominant team. I thik he will cost us goals next season.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Casper was a free transfer and has won us more points than he has cost us this season. For me he is the Number 1 for next season. So if we had to pay for him last summer what would the price been 200k - 300k? Up there with Bridcutt as the best signing of last season.
Although if Gus was thinking about a new keeper then that depends if he has to buy one or two strikers if Murray stays or goes.
I trust Gus's judgement as so far with the Albion he has always exceeded expectation.

Last edited:

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
he does fall over, he even did it yet again away at notts in the last game, doesnt always mean the ball he kicks is always bad, just amazed how many times when the ball is running towards him on the floor or he drops it on the floor to then kick it up the field, he falls over as he does it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Casper has been superb this season. My only criticism is that he enjoys fisting so much.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
he does fall over, he even did it yet again away at notts in the last game, doesnt always mean the ball he kicks is always bad, just amazed how many times when the ball is running towards him on the floor or he drops it on the floor to then kick it up the field, he falls over as he does it.

So for this reason you say....get rid

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Nothing wrong with Casper, so he makes a few mistakes. Well show me a keeper that doesn't, Robert Green, David James, Paul Robinson and every other keeper.They all throw one in once in a while. Casper is fine and the fact Poke has been given a new deal would suggest he is not as bad as he appered in his few games. Personally I think Brez is the one who we want to get rid off, he is just not that good and certainly not upto championship standard.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I think people need to also realise that there hasn't been any out and out criticism of Casper on this thread, its been pretty constructive. I want to feel confident about our whole squad given how well we've done this year, but we need to accept that two games against a very shit 10-man Pompey and half a reserve Watford side do not mean we are going to walk into the Championship play-offs. Casper's weakness IS coming for crosses, I don't think that's in question. Will he do a job in the Championship? I think he will be solid, and his shot-stopping and distribution will be as useful next year as it was this year. But I think he and to an extent the full backs were protected from criticism a bit by just how dominant our centre backs are in the air. The way we play with the full backs bombing forward does leave us a tad vulnerable to being unlocked down the flanks, and when we step up a level with Championship/Premiership loanee wingers, I fear that may be our achilles heel. All the time Greer and El-Abd win the ball in the air, Casper's weakness isn't exploited. But against the bigger, taller, stronger strikers, I think there's an argument for at least looking at what's available. It's not a priority, and if Casper's No.1 next season I'll be happy. But if we can find another keeper who commands his area better and still has good reflexes and is comfortable with it at his feet, we shouldn't let that opportunity pass just because Casper did well this year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Palace sold every player on their books and their ground they wouldnt get £10m, yet alone that for 1 average keeper, who is no better than we already have.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
So for this reason you say....get rid

No Ive never said to get rid, I just think he will show his frailties more this coming season than he did last, and ultimately if we want to push up the league we need a better goalie, he`s a great shot stopper and he`s been really good for us alot of last season but his frailties have been masked because of the league we were playing in, they wont be next yr and I still say its stupid of any manager to say that one position is sorted in any team, unless that player in that position is sheer class!

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
If Palace sold every player on their books and their ground they wouldnt get £10m, yet alone that for 1 average keeper, who is no better than we already have.

You truly are deluded then, Speroni is one of the best keepers in the country...

Clyne is probably worth more than half your squad alone as well!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
20 clean sheets in a season tells me that Ankergren is good enough. Before anyone says that it was the defence that was in front of him, must realise that when we did concede goals in the last few games, it was when Ankergren was injured.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You truly are deluded then, Speroni is one of the best keepers in the country...

Clyne is probably worth more than half your squad alone as well!

Speroni is without doubt a quality keeper-

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here