Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet: "I would say we need to strengthen every single area of the team..

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I think Brez is a better keeper but Casper is a better footballer on the ground. I don't really trust either of them to do both of those things well in the championship :shrug:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I didn't realise POKE was a big ugly bastard with only one ear. Got to be a good keeper hasn't he?

eric-bana-as-chopper-reid-60998331.jpg

Poke, yesterday.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Problem is that out of all the positions, the hardest one to get a new player playing 'the Poyet way' would be a new goalkeeper. Most are taught from day one to launch the ball to a long option when it comes to them on the ground (i.e. to a target player down the middle, or the channels). Also, when the ball is in hand, to off-load medium distance and wide. That sort of typical indoctrination is the smallest part of what Poyet wants from a keeper. The larger part being a confident passer who is prepared to link up the defence. Not easy to find. Logically (I guess) you would be looking for a player who played a bit outfield then converted to keeper maybe. Brez is a better traditional keeper, but not as adept (or cool) as Ankergren in his passing. I think Gus is right and we could live just about with Casper if the blueprint for playing remains the same as this season, and we keep the ball better when discharging it (i.e. the better quality signings he's talking about making).

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i feel we to get some strengh players coz we were muscled out of game against saints to them being big and stong and i feel we need that for next season

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
IMO a keeper of Casper's quality would command a big transfer fee and big wages. I know he has his weak points but i still think he will be very important for us next season.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Firstly, i think he`s wrong, against the top half of the championship, ankregen will be found out as he`s a line goalkeeper, who inexplicably cant learn to come for crosses and high balls and catch the bloody thing, if he was such a good championship prospect why did Leeds ditch him as soon as they were promoted? Because they found a better one.

Secondly, its a mistake to say to any player unless theyre real class that he doesnt need replacing, because it can make them complacent, if they think their place in the team is assured.

Yes, he will be ok against the bottom six perhaps and it is very hard to find a better one that can pass like he does, but actually his distribution can be poor alot of the time, he kicks the ball out of touch as much as Kuipers ever did, and virtually everytime he kicks it when it comes to him along the ground he falls over!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm glad that all areas of the team are being looked at, we are in dire need of new blood in attack and defence. Not to concerned about midfield Lua Lua and one other would be enough there I think.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Gus has previously said 6 or 7 but now needs another CB due to injuries

GK
RB
CB
CM
LM
ST
ST

This has got to be the 7 with possibly another midfielder as the 8th

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
IMO a keeper of Casper's quality would command a big transfer fee and big wages. I know he has his weak points but i still think he will be very important for us next season.

Agree .... Casper has a few weaknesses but so do Ben Foster, Robert Green and most top keepers.
Casper is my first choice

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Casper has been excellent throughout the season. Takes all the pressure off the defence, Only really made one stupid mistake at home to Rochdale from what I remember.

Over a whole season he has won us MANY points. I think a lot of people don't quite appreciate how good a shot stopper he is.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Can't get my head around the experts of NSC slating Casper, lord Gus himself has said he is not looking for a new keeper. Think I'll back the man who took us from 20th in the league to 1st and the title tbh - gus has earnt the right to select exactly who to keep/replace IMHO

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here