Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet explores loan striker option?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
What annoys me is,

In the title winning season, teams were too afraid to come to Withdean and attack us, but the very few that did ended up beating us or taking us to the last minute e.g. Saints, Carlisle, Huddersfield, Oldham.

2 years on, it's very obvious to other teams how we play and how to stop us, sometimes it'll work and sometimes it won't but it's starting to show we need to attack more and grab the hand by the scruff of the next in the first 10 minutes.

We've got a very very good midfield and a very strong back 4. We need more of an attacking threat, either that or we need to get forward quicker.

I love what Gus and the team are doing and the style of play is good but I think we need to add something different and that is a target man or someone with a bit of presence.

UTA, I'm confident of top 6.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Interesting comments by Tony Mowbray before the 'Boro game. He said something to the effect that Gus teams, whilst being good, always play the same way and that normally he tries to send out 'Boro to combat the way he thinks other teams will set up (ie they have several different approaches which they tailor according to the opposition). So they had two weeks to perfect the "score a goal halfway through the first half and defend it hoping to nick a second on the break". This approach both underlines and exposes the Gus approach. It exposes it because it is very predictable and, in the absence of a plan b, c or d, requires high calibre players all over the pitch to make it successful and it underlines it because at the moment we are clearly work in progress and are probably 2 - 3 players short of the expertise and skill needed to make the system work consistently well at Championship level.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Don't most teams when playing away aim to ""score a goal halfway through the first half and defend it hoping to nick a second on the break", it is certainly the Albion's approach.

There were some interesting stats produced last week by the UEFA technical team.

Of the 16 teams in the Champions League knock out stage, 11 of them played 4-5-1.

Of the 345 goals scored in the competition, only 27 came from corners. Only 1 in 46 corners resulted in a goal.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/TechnicalReport/competitions/UCL/01/85/88/06/1858806_DOWNLOAD.pdf

doug7126

Apr 13, 2008
Aldershot
A striker would be nice, but also if every player on the pitch would grow a pair and start shooting occasionally would be nice instead of trying to walk it in all the time!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't see why it comes down to how we do on Tuesday.

We either need one or we don't.

Go and get a loan striker now, or don't bother. Why judge it on ONE game. That sort of statement belongs on NSC.

So we lose 3-1 on Tuesday, we won't get one because we scored?

Really? Has he been misquoted, or is he slowly losing the plot?

Well we didn't score, so it looks like we are getting a striker in.

Hopefully before Saturday.

Feb 14, 2010
To be honest, I thought when Gus let Murray go to palace that that was his first mistake. Respect everything he does at brighton but that was an error. A club that struggles to get 13000 through the door shouldnt be out bidding a club that gets 26000 through the door. If we had Murray with CMS then that would be interesting.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
To be honest, I thought when Gus let Murray go to palace that that was his first mistake. Respect everything he does at brighton but that was an error. A club that struggles to get 13000 through the door shouldnt be out bidding a club that gets 26000 through the door. If we had Murray with CMS then that would be interesting.
Some of us have been saying this for over a year now. But got told Barnes is a much better striker than Murray, and that Murray is shit. mmmm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here