Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet explores loan striker option?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So what strikers have we brought in since Murray left:
CMS: Certainly did not do the business last season. Looked a lot better this season until his injury. But one fairly unproductive season.
Hoskins: Injury plagued, but Gus cannot see much future for him at the club if he takes his number off the team sheet.
Paynter: Poor
Vokes: Poor
Wood: Maybe had potential, but in Gus's view not enough to keep him.
Dobbie: Jury is out.
Have I missed any? Based on that list you could fairly say that Gus has a piss poor record of signing strikers. Makes it even clearer that we would have been better off keeping what we had ... Championship Player of the Month for September.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I'm not going to criticise individual players but I do believe Poyet is playing a system inherited from last season that he should have binned the moment we'd secured Bruno and Bridge.

We have two of the best attacking full-backs in the division and we don't need 5 midfielders as well. This just slows things down as it involves another body in the build-up. I'd say Poyet's biggest mistake to date has been his failure to secure an out and out striker for this season.

That said, there's still time to sort this situation.

Agree totaly, we started last season with two up front bt dropped this as Gus thought with the ersonell we had that we were not strong enough to cope with the stronger championship midfields

Now that we have strengthened pretty much all positions in mdfield and defence do we not start with two up front?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
So what strikers have we brought in since Murray left:
CMS: Certainly did not do the business last season. Looked a lot better this season until his injury. But one fairly unproductive season.
Hoskins: Injury plagued, but Gus cannot see much future for him at the club if he takes his number off the team sheet.
Paynter: Poor
Vokes: Poor
Wood: Maybe had potential, but in Gus's view not enough to keep him.
Dobbie: Jury is out.
Have I missed any? Based on that list you could fairly say that Gus has a piss poor record of signing strikers. Makes it even clearer that we would have been better off keeping what we had ... Championship Player of the Month for September.

Murray wasn't all that popular all the time. Things are easy with hindsight aren't they.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Murray wasn't all that popular all the time. Things are easy with hindsight aren't they.

Whether he was popular or not is completely beside the point. He scored the goals that got us promoted. The guy could hold the ball up better than anyone since BZ. He did great defensive work. Good enough for me.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Not convinced that Poyet ever really wanted to go down the route of signing an old fashioned nasty aggressive target man. It seems he accepts that his hand is now being forced as the strikers we have have come well short, given the number of times we get the ball into the box with pretty well ZERO end product.

It could, of course, be that he has been holding out for a top premier League quality forward, as he did with the defence as his loan signing target men strikers over the last two seasons have been pretty shit and not fitted in at all :shrug:

A Jason Roberts short term type may be what he has to settle for. Where is John Carew playing now?

Carew is a great shout... he has the quality and doesnt seem to be getting much game time at whu

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think the announcement about bringing in a loan striker is to give Dobbie a kick up the arse and for him to start putting the ball in the net. Gus could be thinking Dobbie might be as useful as BDB was last season.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Those wages he wasn't worth would have meant that we'd probably have made the playoffs last season

He scored SIX goals last season.

It's hardly like we let Jordan Rhodes go.

CMS scored more than him last year (and was seen as not having met his potential) and 1 less so far this year, but apparently we're missing Murray?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He scored SIX goals last season.

It's hardly like we let Jordan Rhodes go.

CMS scored more than him last year (and was seen as not having met his potential) and 1 less so far this year, but apparently we're missing Murray?

No we are missing a TARGET man who can hold the ball up, head it into the net and bring others into play. What part of that aren't you getting? What CMS does is hardly the issue as Murray would not be a replacement but someone to play with him.

The guy has proved he can play our style, albeit at a lower level and we sure as hell haven't come remotely close to replacing him.

You don't rate him I do, shall we leave it at that?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Whether he was popular or not is completely beside the point. He scored the goals that got us promoted. The guy could hold the ball up better than anyone since BZ. He did great defensive work. Good enough for me.

....In his last season when his contract was up, before that he was frustrating. Again who was to know if his last season was due to full recovery or shop Window exhibitionism? Again for me it is hindsight and people would have been on poyets back if he stayed on inflated wages and went back to his old sulky ways...

Football fans are ridiculously fickle and really highlighted over the past 3 weeks. There was not much mention of Murray when we were top was there? Why we can't all move forward as a club together always gets me.

To much bitching whinging and told you so on here, let's wait until at least Christmas until we start judging would be a better measure in my opinion.

Last edited:

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
To me Gus has to back the forwards he has and give them a fair chance playing 2 upp front together before we sign anyone on loan.

Surely as mentoned with a better qualty defence and midfield we are able to play two up top?

Please Gus give CMS, Barnes,Doobie etc a chance playing a 442 like we did when we got promoted.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He's been an absolute dick abuot the whole striker thing.

He's bleated all summer how much he wants a target man (having failed to replace Murray a year earlier)
Then he signs a useless fat lump at the last minute who's 5 ft 8 and no better than what we've already got.
Now he says it's easy to sign a target man...but still hasn't.

Clown.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
No we are missing a TARGET man who can hold the ball up, head it into the net and bring others into play. What part of that aren't you getting? What CMS does is hardly the issue as Murray would not be a replacement but someone to play with him.

The guy has proved he can play our style, albeit at a lower level and we sure as hell haven't come remotely close to replacing him.

Take away Zaha and i will be interested to see how he gets on as I think they work well together. But you are right we miss the hold up and go again kind of player. But again I will wait until the end of season to see if Murray has turned into a 20 plus championship striker.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He's been an absolute dick abuot the whole striker thing.

He's bleated all summer how much he wants a target man (having failed to replace Murray a year earlier)
Then he signs a useless fat lump at the last minute who's 5 ft 8 and no better than what we've already got.
Now he says it's easy to sign a target man...but still hasn't.

Clown.

Is that the useless fat lump who's 5 ft 8 and no better than we've already got that has scored goals and got teams the last three Championship playoffs.
Give the bloke a chance, how the hell do know more than Poyet, Holloway, Rogers and whoever his other playoff manager was.
Clown.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I honestly don't know at which point I said "I don't rate him", but if you're auditioning for a new position as mind-reader, I'm very sad to inform you that you are rubbish. I loved Glenn Murray.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Is that the useless fat lump who's 5 ft 8 and no better than we've already got that has scored goals and got teams the last three Championship playoffs.
Give the bloke a chance, how the hell do know more than Poyet, Holloway, Rogers and whoever his other playoff manager was.
Clown.

Some people just like moaning. I would have snapped someone's hand off before we signed cms and so would have 99% of the people on here, yet he still gets criticised, same with Poyet.

One day they will be gone and I can see the usually suspects moaning about bloom not having enough clout or desire to keep them.

Some people just like moaning and don't like looking at the bigger picture.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I honestly don't know at which point I said "I don't rate him", but if you're auditioning for a new position as mind-reader, I'm very sad to inform you that you are rubbish. I loved Glenn Murray.[/

OK, so you don't think we miss him then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here