Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Powell gone

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Without wishing to be sarcastic, isn’t one of the issues the size of the goals?

The average height of a WSL GK is 5’8” whilst the average height of an EPL keeper is 6’3.5”, yet they play in the same size goals 🤷‍♂️

No wonder we get so many high scoring games!
I don't think so. Junior Orange currently plays 9 a side in 16' X 7' goals, and at 5' tall doesn't have a problem tipping stuff over the bar or around the post when he plays in goal.

A full size goal is 24' X 8' so the only major difference is in the width, and a professionally trained goalkeeper would be able to compensate for that with their positioning.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Without wishing to be sarcastic, isn’t one of the issues the size of the goals?

The average height of a WSL GK is 5’8” whilst the average height of an EPL keeper is 6’3.5”, yet they play in the same size goals 🤷‍♂️

No wonder we get so many high scoring games!
When the goal was invented the average man was around 5'5" so maybe in that case the goals in the EPL should be made bigger so we got more high scoring games?

High scoring games are not evil though you'd be excused for Brighton fans believing so...

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022
womens football....quality of under 12s males....look at the defending for the goals.......most sunday league teams would beat these prem womens teams.....all pushed as part of a bigger agenda....

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's a real shame that it's gone this badly, but she really can have no complaints. The performance against Reading was awful, it was an incredibly fortunate win after a performance which looked uncoached, without tactics and with no direction whatsoever. There was a lot of turnover of the squad in the summer but I wonder how much of that was players wanting to leave Hope behind.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
womens football....quality of under 12s males....look at the defending for the goals.......most sunday league teams would beat these prem womens teams.....all pushed as part of a bigger agenda....
What the f*** does the level of quality have to do with the amount of entertainment?
myteam.jpg

This is me, 12 years ago, as a coach for "under 12 males". We've just lost 5 or 6-0 in a March pre-season game in some windy hellhole in southern Skåne. Not a fantastic day by any means, but would I have traded it for any high-quality game on television? No.

When Brighton play against Nottingham or Bournemouth or some other shite team, do you rather stay at home watching Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid? Why do thousands of people go to non-league games in England when they could all sit around and watch Manchester City humiliate any-PL-team-you-can-think-of?

Because the sport in itself is fun. Its not about the quality of football. If quality was the main source why people love this sport, everyone would be watching the same 5 teams every week, year in year out. Not the case though... everywhere in the world people go to watch their shite kids play shite football, and often get at least as engaged and excited as when they watch Qatar FC take on Dhubai FC in the Champions League. Every week all over the world people go to watch their local sides and find it at least as entertaining, fun and exciting as watching the world class players of Nasty Hedgefund FC playing Hideous Betting Company FC.

Were you bored and uninterested when Brighton played in lower divisions? Do you find your kids playing football pathetic? Did you fall asleep in the 80s because football wasn't as high quality as it would be in the 2020s?

As long as fairly evenly matched teams play each other, football is usually thrilling. Lionel Messi scoring a 1000 goals is all good and well but it just really isn't what football is about to the vast majority. I'm sure on this board at least 90% did play football at some age and at some level. Did you not enjoy it due to you being so much more shite than all those fancy-schmancy Playstation-players, or did you perhaps enjoy it because it is something about the game in itself - rather than quality - that made it fun?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What the f*** does the level of quality have to do with the amount of entertainment?
View attachment 153301
This is me, 12 years ago, as a coach for "under 12 males". We've just lost 5 or 6-0 in a March pre-season game in some windy hellhole in southern Skåne. Not a fantastic day by any means, but would I have traded it for any high-quality game on television? No.

When Brighton play against Nottingham or Bournemouth or some other shite team, do you rather stay at home watching Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid? Why do thousands of people go to non-league games in England when they could all sit around and watch Manchester City humiliate any-PL-team-you-can-think-of?

Because the sport in itself is fun. Its not about the quality of football. If quality was the main source why people love this sport, everyone would be watching the same 5 teams every week, year in year out. Not the case though... everywhere in the world people go to watch their shite kids play shite football, and often get at least as engaged and excited as when they watch Qatar FC take on Dhubai FC in the Champions League. Every week all over the world people go to watch their local sides and find it at least as entertaining, fun and exciting as watching the world class players of Nasty Hedgefund FC playing Hideous Betting Company FC.

Were you bored and uninterested when Brighton played in lower divisions? Do you find your kids playing football pathetic? Did you fall asleep in the 80s because football wasn't as high quality as it would be in the 2020s?

As long as fairly evenly matched teams play each other, football is usually thrilling. Lionel Messi scoring a 1000 goals is all good and well but it just really isn't what football is about to the vast majority. I'm sure on this board at least 90% did play football at some age and at some level. Did you not enjoy it due to you being so much more shite than all those fancy-schmancy Playstation-players, or did you perhaps enjoy it because it is something about the game in itself - rather than quality - that made it fun?
Lovely story en'all that, but what the holy shite in a biscuit tin has this got anything to do with Hope Powell !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Lovely story en'all that, but what the holy shite in a biscuit tin has this got anything to do with Hope Powell !
What does the size of the goals in the WSL or if a Sunday side can beat WSL sides got to do with Powell?

If not a bunch of moudly impotent gammons had to come around in every single thread about women's football to express their disdain and dislike for it, then I also wouldn't reply to them.

Why is it that every time anything relating to women's football is discussed, there's a bunch of blokes coming in and making fun of it or telling how shite it is, while all of us who find for instance cricket a boring circle-jerk-fest played by England and a handful of your old colonies stay out of those threads?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure she could've done any better. A team cannot lose 9 players and then not replace them and expect to be challenging. Avoiding relegation will be a success this season

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

View attachment 153301

View attachment 153301

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What does the size of the goals in the WSL or if a Sunday side can beat WSL sides got to do with Powell?

If not a bunch of moudly impotent gammons had to come around in every single thread about women's football to express their disdain and dislike for it, then I also wouldn't reply to them.

Why is it that every time anything relating to women's football is discussed, there's a bunch of blokes coming in and making fun of it or telling how shite it is, while all of us who find for instance cricket a boring circle-jerk-fest played by England and a handful of your old colonies stay out of those threads?
my old cronies ?

I like women's football and invest a lot of time with my daughter making sure she is going to all available training and matches as possible and most importantly enjoys it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
View attachment 153301

In general you're correct. Football is fun to watch and play at all levels. But you've not addressed why people bring up quality.

What grates people in the UK is two fold. The promotion of women's football perceivably above its interest levels (to use your analogy you don't get Under 12s on the front page of the BBC Sport website or Worthing on the Red Button or ex pub players suddenly promoted to host Football Focus) which many here see as positive discrimination (and, indeed, relentless discrimination). There's the obvious counter that it's making up for centuries of negative discrimination, that girls need positive and obvious role models, yada yada, and that's where I am. Karen Carney's unbearably bad punditry aside (and, yes, there are worse men), I think it's a good thing. But the argument is that it is promoted to the public above its levels of quality as a contest, not that it's not worth watching full stop. I don't agree with that viewpoint but many do. I do agree the quality is poor but that's why it needs to be promoted - to attract girls to play and top level coaches.

Secondly there is the point that is occasionally raised that it is sexist not to pay the women the same as the men (usually followed by "except Lewes, they're wonderful"). But, of course, Lewes do it because they pay their men very poorly. Again, Under 12s pay for the pleasure of playing, Worthing just about cover a few quid, many League 2 footballers are worse paid than many people on NSC. The current level of interest and quality of women's football are one of the many reasons that Chloe Kelly and Danny Welbeck are paid differently and I agree that they should be.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
View attachment 153301

Is that you in the red top???😄

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In general you're correct. Football is fun to watch and play at all levels. But you've not addressed why people bring up quality.

What grates people in the UK is two fold. The promotion of women's football perceivably above its interest levels (to use your analogy you don't get Under 12s on the front page of the BBC Sport website or Worthing on the Red Button or ex pub players suddenly promoted to host Football Focus) which many here see as positive discrimination (and, indeed, relentless discrimination). There's the obvious counter that it's making up for centuries of negative discrimination, that girls need positive and obvious role models, yada yada, and that's where I am. Karen Carney's unbearably bad punditry aside (and, yes, there are worse men), I think it's a good thing. But the argument is that it it promoted to the public above its levels of quality as a contest, not that it's not worth watching full stop. I don't agree with that viewpoint but many do. I do agree the quality is poor but that's why it needs to be promoted - to attract girls to play and top level coaches.

Secondly there is the point that is occasionally raised that it is sexist not to pay the women the same as the men (usually followed by "except Lewes, they're wonderful"). But, of course, Lewes do it because they pay their men very poorly. Again, Under 12s pay for the pleasure of playing, Worthing just about cover a few quid, many League 2 footballers are worse paid than many people on NSC. The current level of interest and quality of women's football are one of the many reasons that Chloe Kelly and Danny Welbeck are paid differently and I agree that they should be.
What comes first? Promotion or interest?

The reason Premier League was founded wasn't because the old top division wasn't fun or high quality enough, but because there was a waning interest in spectatorship and football interest and number of clubs and business men thought "well, lets rebrand it, repackage it, make it visually more attractive and promote it new ways to make the sport grow again". You could call it "positive discrimination" of a dying sport or you could call it "realising the growth potential". "Promoted to the public above its quality" is a pretty f***ing funny thing to say when you've had decades of McDonalds promoting their unedible hamburgers day out and day in with the only real criticisism coming from what a lot of you would most likely label "communists".

The point of equal pay has always been a shitty one IMO and I agree it can't really work like that, though I believe the absurd wages of male footballers is a bigger issue than someone screaming for equal pay. But yeah, I agree that the current level of interest obviously makes it reasonable that DW earns more than CK, similar to how I find it reasonable that some music band entertaining millions of people should probably earn more than some garage band playing in a local pub twice a month.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What comes first? Promotion or interest?

The reason Premier League was founded wasn't because the old top division wasn't fun or high quality enough, but because there was a waning interest in spectatorship and football interest and number of clubs and business men thought "well, lets rebrand it, repackage it, make it visually more attractive and promote it new ways to make the sport grow again". You could call it "positive discrimination" of a dying sport or you could call it "realising the growth potential". "Promoted to the public above its quality" is a pretty f***ing funny thing to say when you've had decades of McDonalds promoting their unedible hamburgers day out and day in with the only real criticisism coming from what a lot of you would most likely label "communists".

The point of equal pay has always been a shitty one IMO and I agree it can't really work like that, though I believe the absurd wages of male footballers is a bigger issue than someone screaming for equal pay. But yeah, I agree that the current level of interest obviously makes it reasonable that DW earns more than CK, similar to how I find it reasonable that some music band entertaining millions of people should probably earn more than some garage band playing in a local pub twice a month.
I feel you're violently agreeing with me in paragraphs one and two. In part, I'm stating what I've heard / read from others. The "girls need positive role models" is very much where I am. Promoting the game will grow interest which will improve the quality.

I'd temper that with the fact that you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink. Despite us watching the England games in the Euros in the summer and having a football mad dad and brother, my daughter couldn't give a shit about the game. At my son's old club they started a girls only team and got a Brighton player to come along to the first training session. After three weeks less than half had come back compared to the first day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here