Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Powell gone

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
On the club site - "“Hope’s contribution to the development of women’s and girls’ football at our club, and for the women's game in this country, cannot be underestimated."

Cannot be underestimated??? What?? Are they intending to take the piss? I hear this a lot with dumb pundits, maybe it's a football thing that folk repeat without thinking.

"Cannot be overestimated" or "cannot be overstated". Is it that difficult?
It could be right? It cannot be underestimated = it's impossible to underestimate it because its so obvious that you can only estimate it at the correct level.

:shrug:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Not really, we lost a lot of our best players rather than bringing in a load of new ones.
Not wishing to split hairs, but if we had nine players left we must have brought some players in.

Are we not operating the women’s team with the same philosophy as the men’s? (Have your targets ahead of time, know who’s available and approach them)

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
About bloody time - I watched that interview after Spurs - clearly she either didn’t give a sh*t because she run out of ideas long ago or she already knew she was going (one way or another). With the infrastructure and support the women get at BHA, they should be having a much better season than they have been imo. I’m not really in a position to speak though, I don’t even like women’s football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not wishing to split hairs, but if we had nine players left we must have brought some players in.

Are we not operating the women’s team with the same philosophy as the men’s? (Have your targets ahead of time, know who’s available and approach them)
Impossible.

You can't do data-driven recruitment in women's football right now. In five years I'm fairly sure it will be possible but currently there is no way you can have the same approach, quite simply because data in the women's leagues is nowhere near as extensively collected. To sign the female equivalent of Jakub Moder, you can't just log into Wyscout and watch videos of every ball touch from the player or get information on running path or crossing success or anything really - you have to be there.

And while Brighton will be tracking hundreds if not thousands of players at any given time on the male side, because of how smooth it is with todays technology, the club would have to hire hundreds of scouts to do the same for the women. It is much more difficult to uncover hidden gems. And then were not even into the hassle of contacting players... outside of the big women's leagues, barely anyone has an agent or anything like that.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
She'd lost the plot this season, maybe caused by the departures of some of her squad. She has been in the managerial business long enough to know she was being left behind with the type of game being played nowadays. I'm not calling her a dinosaur...she's done hell of a lot for the womens game...but she should have gone last season.
Still wish her all the best for the future

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How good is our squad?
Is it thought that we are underachieving, or are we losing because we have a weak squad?
Several important players left and got replaced by 3 WSL-rejects and two talents from Korea & Norway.

Can't say I know everything about these new (or old) players but on paper... relegation battle.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think they had enough credit in the bank to warrant a bit more time although I am concerned they had lost the dressing room and at that point unfortunately there's usually no way back.
Who is they?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Powell gone - resigned with immediate effect after poor results.
Without wishing to be sarcastic, isn’t one of the issues the size of the goals?

The average height of a WSL GK is 5’8” whilst the average height of an EPL keeper is 6’3.5”, yet they play in the same size goals 🤷‍♂️

No wonder we get so many high scoring games!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here