Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pound 4 Pompey Appeal?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I find it curious that Fred Dineage (can't stand the bloke) with all his proclaimed love of Pompey and media connections isn't behind some form of campaign to save the Club - but then maybe he is too closely associated with former owners to be trusted? One day the truth will emerge.
I complained about BHA coverage recently in an e mail to him and in his reply he said that he ceased being a director of Portsmouth when Mandaric took over and passed the complaint on to Sarah Gomme, don't know why he bothered as she is only interested in Reading..

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I'm afraid I have to agree with this. While my heart wants to me support fellow footie fans in their moment of need my head is telling me that Pompey should be consigned to their fate, because they are serial offenders.

Albion fans will understand all too clearly why non-footballing / non-fan owners of Clubs should be treated with extreme caution, and not welcomed with open arms. We were lucky that a band of die hards raked through the fine detail of Archer/Bellotti's changes to the small print in Albion's company articles of association and exposed their true motives in asset stripping the Goldstone. This was the catalyst all sorts of campaigns which ultimately saved the day but not until were in the last chance saloon at closing time and fat lady was on her final encore. I don't detect the same sort of campaigns coming out of Pompey. Someone down there should read 'Build a Bonfire'.

The Pompey fans seem to have accepted a series of obscure owners in the blind hope that the next one would bring financial stability, when the opposite has happened and no one around the Club seems to learn. They do not seem to have waged any form of campaign that has captured the imagination of fans across the footie community or had any significant impact on influencing the destiny of their club.

If they had more evidence of self help I would take more notice, and would consider giving support. But no way would I give them a penny if no one can assure me where it will end up. Listening to various phone-ins and reading other forums it seems that a lot of punters now want to see a club or two go to the wall because it is the good people ie the fans and local businesses who get screwed and have had enough. Sorry Pompey fans but unless you get your act together and find a miracle backer you won't get much sympathy here.

I find it curious that Fred Dineage (can't stand the bloke) with all his proclaimed love of Pompey and media connections isn't behind some form of campaign to save the Club - but then maybe he is too closely associated with former owners to be trusted? One day the truth will emerge.

How?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
May I be so bold as to ask how many Portsmouth supporters played any active part in helping Wrexham or Plymouth in their difficult times.....?

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
What can I say that hasn't already said on this thread. I have some limited sympathy for the fans, but they were mouthing off during the good times and the first 2 admins about how good they were and what a big club. It's only now that the penny has dropped and they seem to be rolling over and exposing they're extremely flabby undercarriage without a fight. Its simply not worth raising money to give to the club, who the hell gets it?
The only time to donate money would be to a group of supporters trying to resurrect the club AFTER they've gone under.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Maybe I'm being too caring here, but I'm just thinking of their supporters. How would we be feeling if we were in their shoes?
We would feel what we did the last time. And we'd be lucky enough to have the likes of the Henfield One poring through the Club's books, finding out how the owners were lying to us, and getting thousands of fans to campaign for a change in ownership that transformed the way the Club was run.

IF Portsmouth fans were doing what we were doing, I'd happily support them in their campaign and chuck a pound in the bucket. But they really need to be building a bonfire first. Unless Paul knows differently, I'll hang on to my cash for a bit longer, rather than chip in yet.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
You are an utter disgrace on this issue, and I am embarrased you are an Albion fan. How can you gloat in their problems like this after what we have been through?

No two situations are ever the same. Has there been gross financial mismanagement over years there? Of course there has. Should they be paying Kitson £20k a week, and have been paying Lawrence £30k a week? Of course not, it is madness. They should have sold all of them, bought some cheap players, ensuring relegation but survival. But that is NOT the fans' fault.

I have read some complete drivel on here about 'they should have known, they were milking the good times'. And? What are we doing now? They didn't know what was going on.

Not for one second do I doubt Tony Bloom - but what do you REALLY know about his finances. Who could ever know as a fan.

If you, or anyone else, starts glorying in Portsmouth's predicament on Saturday in my vicinity, expect a load of abuse.

Excellent post Tooting. Seems like Rangers fans also were in the dark about what was going on behind the scenes financially at their club. Do they too deserve to be 'taught a lesson' the way many on here seem to want Pompey fans to be punished.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
It's their own fault they are where they are,why should we help them?would they help us?- highly unlikely!They can f*** off,I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Excellent post Tooting. Seems like Rangers fans also were in the dark about what was going on behind the scenes financially at their club. Do they too deserve to be 'taught a lesson' the way many on here seem to want Pompey fans to be punished.

I don't know about whatever you mean by 'taught a lesson' but if Rangers fans didn't know - they chose not to listen.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Few things are more irritating than people who say I told you so, but I was amongst those who went up to London during the dark days of 1996/97 and who told the likes of Graham Kelly at the FL and the blazers at the FA that they simply had to do something about the rules covering club ownership.

Everyone knows that the FA's fit and proper test is about as worthless as an I.O.U. from Sasha Gaydamak, but the infuriating thing is they have known this for years and done sweet F.A. about it.

The only difference between Archer/Stanley/Bellotti and the ownership at Fratton Park, is that when we spotted we had a bunch of cnuts in charge we fought tooth and nail until we kicked them out and got someone in who had genuine feelings for the club.

At Portsmouth, the short sighted fans have just welcomed one bunch of thieving bastards after another regardless whether they could stick a pin in a map to indicate where the city was, let alone the ground.

So long as they had a team full of big stars like Kanu et al and a run in the Premier League and a cup in the cupboard the Pompey fans were happy.

Dickheads. Fvck em.

I LOVE this.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
People keep banging on about Pompey fans "suffering".

How the hell have they suffered, to date, exactly? Getting promoted? Winning the FA Cup? Reaching another final? Playing in Europe?

So they got relegated two (?) seasons ago and may do again. Well boo bloody hoo, how agonising their suffering must be. Let's face it, they will weasel out of their debts again,ole they always do, possibly drop down a division...and I'm supposed to feel for their SUFFERING?

If being bottom half of the Championship really can be described as suffering, then fans of Dagenham, Macclesfield, Hereford and the like must be verging on suicidal by now. Where's the collection for them?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
PS I've waited YEARS for them or Palace to go down and they never, ever do.

If they finally make my dreams come true this season, I'll be the first in line to sing "Southend, on a Tuesday night" to them.

Yoda

English & European
Only got through the first page & a half before I'd had enough.

Let's put it another selfish way for the sake of our club.

We beat Pompy on Saturday and they go bust before the season finishes, losing US 6 points, and possibly a playoff spot too.

Who are you lot going to blame then? Pompy still? NO, blame yourselfs for not doing something to help ourselfs.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Giving money to pompey is hilarious,lets be honest 99% of football people are not interested in pompey's plight,they deserve all they get.

I bet you anything they will be sold at the end of the season and they will be spending again soon after,you lot who do donate will look like prized cu*nts trust me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
May I be so bold as to ask how many Portsmouth supporters played any active part in helping Wrexham or Plymouth in their difficult times.....?

Fair point, but misses the central issue. It's not a 'Willy Battle in the Shower' to claim moral bragging rights over 'we did more than you...'.

The point is, I'd suggest, that you be so bold as to ask how many Portsmouth supporters played in active part in helping Portsmouth in their difficult times...

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells

How the hell have they suffered, to date, exactly? Getting promoted? Winning the FA Cup? Reaching another final? Playing in Europe?

So they got relegated two (?) seasons ago and may do again. Well boo bloody hoo, how agonising their suffering must be. Let's face it, they will weasel out of their debts again,ole they always do, possibly drop down a division...and I'm supposed to feel for their SUFFERING?

If being bottom half of the Championship really can be described as suffering, then fans of Dagenham, Macclesfield, Hereford and the like must be verging on suicidal by now. Where's the collection for them?

I'm with this. Passing them occasionally in an FA Cup tie or a brief flirt in the championship all I ever heard from them was the bragging, the boasting, the what division are you in, the general comedic comments and songs that came with this.

Out flirts in the championship were brief becuase we had a tiny budget to work to. And there is the point. Along with Hereford, Rochdale, Macclesfield and several other clubs, we were shit becuase we could not afford to invest in better players.

We could not afford to. We could not afford to. So we did not. So we did not. We put together a squad that was commensurate with the budgets and revenues available.

In the meantime Fagin and his motely crew of thieving little toe-rags enjoyed screeching and squawking about being a big club and us being shite.

So forgive me all the bleeding hearts on here - three times in administration is beyond a coincidence or bad luck. Shitty small crowds by premier league standars, colossal wages and contracts and all the accounts and agents fees published in the accounts over the last f*** knows how many years.

Sorry pompey - not really a case for Columbo was it? Not sure you needed Hercule Poirot to unravel that one. Tiny weeney money coming in and f***-off great expenditure going out the door. Fold and go again. Fold and go again.

Not this time you shitty little bastards. Not this time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
From a Pompey fan.....thanks for your thought mate. Unfortunately most on here are right.....even a massive effort across all grounds would go but a little way to pay the thieves and robbers who have destroyed our club.

I fear it is too late for us but fans should rally....if not for us then for themselves....to make sure the authorities know that their customers across the piece are not happy to stand by and see the things that have happened at Portsmouth happen elsewhere.....and they will.

Irrespective of old enmities on here.....and what some deranged old woman said on the telly years ago.....football in this country is being taken over by a great many overseas opporutnisits looking to make a quick return. The football authorities are currently, largely powerless to stop the wave and know little of the people buying into our clubs.

Birmingham.....just starting out down the same road as us.....mebbe?
Reading....lauding a new young Russian owner....but no one knows anything about him or his motivation.

What happens when these people pull the plug as the owners did at Pompey? What happens if the the sheik decides the £1bn he has poured into Man City needs recovering fast? There are at least 20 clubs in worse debt/income ratios in the UK than Pompey ever were.

What of your own club.....today.....tomorrow?
Where were you,
where were you,
Where were you when you weren't shit?
Where were you when you weren't shit?

By which I mean, it's fairly easy to talk about the dangers of foreign owners now that you've been shafted by one. I just feel this would have had a lot more credence if you and your ilk had said as much at a time you were paying Utaka and Benjani between them about £140k per week and winning promotion, European spots and the FA Cup off the back of it.

But you're right of course - there needs to be a real overhaul of the fit and proper test. The FA put this in place, but have clearly barely payed lip service to it. All we're seeing now are a few mega rich clubs being bankrolled by shady foreigners with lots of money who then monopolise the top places. It's boring as well as dangerous.

There are massive problems in football, and the FA can't seem to sort any of them out. I'm beginning to wonder whether the government needs to start calling the game's governing body to account for their gross incompetence - for the good of the game in this country.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Fair point, but misses the central issue. It's not a 'Willy Battle in the Shower' to claim moral bragging rights over 'we did more than you...'.

The point is, I'd suggest, that you be so bold as to ask how many Portsmouth supporters played in active part in helping Portsmouth in their difficult times...

My original question wasn't meant as a 'Willy Battle in the Shower' Alan....lol. It was a genuine question, for which I don't know the answer.

That Portsmouth FC have been royally shafted by repeated crooked owners is beyond doubt.However, it seems to me, that to get things changed....particularly with regard to the FAs 'Fit and Proper' rule, it would need the support of football fans up and down the country to bring this to the FAs attention. The FA and the media, will take little notice of Portsmouth fans alone.......and to get the support of other clubs supporters.......I believe we need to see how much they cared/did for other clubs in a similar situation.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

I'm with this. Passing them occasionally in an FA Cup tie or a brief flirt in the championship all I ever heard from them was the bragging, the boasting, the what division are you in, the general comedic comments and songs that came with this.

Out flirts in the championship were brief becuase we had a tiny budget to work to. And there is the point. Along with Hereford, Rochdale, Macclesfield and several other clubs, we were shit becuase we could not afford to invest in better players.

We could not afford to. We could not afford to. So we did not. So we did not. We put together a squad that was commensurate with the budgets and revenues available.

In the meantime Fagin and his motely crew of thieving little toe-rags enjoyed screeching and squawking about being a big club and us being shite.

So forgive me all the bleeding hearts on here - three times in administration is beyond a coincidence or bad luck. Shitty small crowds by premier league standars, colossal wages and contracts and all the accounts and agents fees published in the accounts over the last f*** knows how many years.

Sorry pompey - not really a case for Columbo was it? Not sure you needed Hercule Poirot to unravel that one. Tiny weeney money coming in and f***-off great expenditure going out the door. Fold and go again. Fold and go again.

Not this time you shitty little bastards. Not this time.

This, and this.
I find it hard to believe that any Brighton fan could feel sorry for Portsmouth. We played by the rules and consequently nearly dropped out of the League, they cheated and reached the Premiership and Cup Final. They say cheats never prosper, but Pompey nearly disproved that. Finally their luck has run out and the cheats have been found out.
f***'em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here