Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potters Chelsea contract.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He didn't need the money, he's already worth millions.

Folk just need to accept that sometimes people move for bigger challenges.

The chance to manage a Champions League team, and one that wanted him, isn't a regular thing. He took it.

Good luck to him.

Yes, you are correct. Potter leaving was just down to personal, financial greed. Don't kid yourself it was for any other reason.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Rubbish

He will be paid into some offshore fund the same as most rich people, he will have an accountant to safeguard his wealth.

It’s only us plebs who pay tax and NI

We got given a cost of living payment of £500 last month,
After tax and NI I got just over 320…

That was enough to push some guys into a higher tax bracket so they actually lost out….

How true it is I don’t know but I heard some guys lost child allowance because of the hardship payment!!!

Doubt it as an employee he will be paid via PAYE

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Its all relative to where in life you are. If you earn 40K a year and someone offers you 160K to move to another employer, you are going to go. I doubt you will thinking how the hell will I spend the extra 120K.

At the same time if you work with people who are exceptional at their jobs and there is a spot to fill at your new employers you will see if its possible to bring them over. It doesn't matter if that exceptional person worked at that company for 10 years before you worked there.

Good people are hard to find and when you get them you want to keep in touch and work with them again. I see it all the time, not at the scale with Potter and co.

Ultimately, in a world where people are paid to work for someone there is no such thing as loyalty, if the employed person is performing poorly they will be let go, if they are good then they will move onto better things until they are at the level they wish to get too.

In football this manifests in extremes and the fans emotions override their sense.

The only loyalty in football is from the fans. We are lucky that Tony Bloom is a fan as he has a valuable asset that he could make a very good return on if he wished.

Fans want loyalty from coaches, players, etc only when they are doing well, there is no fan loyalty to any one if they are performing badly.

Great post.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Revel in the idea that you’ve secured the financial security of your future generations to come for years and years. I don’t quite understand the fury at him leaving. Who wouldn’t go to a different employer for 3, 4, 5x your current wage?

I think it is very different for those on salaries of 20/30/40K. A significant multiple of those salaries would make a significant difference to peoples lives. But when you are already on a couple of million a year does that multiple really improve his life in any way?

My fury is twofold. That he chose to drop us in the shit in the middle of the season rather than waiting to move in the close season and the fact that he lured away Roberts and Bruno. I'm particularly sad about Bruno. When his name is mentioned in future will the youngsters think "Bruno. The club legend" or "Bruno. The greedy *******". But with the millions he too will have banked, he won't care.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I read he was on £7-£8m a year at us. He didn't move for the money. That salary just comes with a top four team and he's hardly going to turn it down. We are all hurting but he would have been an idiot to turn the position down. Chelsea have been a basket case with their managers, but it's now under new ownership. The danger for him is that it's come a little early in his premier league career, but this his problem. He's already turned down Tottenham, so to turn down Chelsea (having already been passed over by Man U) could leave him with limited options to manage at the highest level in this country.

Bruno and Roberts really hurts (we knew the others would go as they are all part of Potter's backroom). However, Bruno and Roberts are replaceable. Everyone is. A new manager is now free to bring in their own backroom staff.

It's absolutely gutting this season will be written off, but that's football. I was convinced he was off at the end of the season, so it's just come a little sooner.

Don't write off this season yet. I have a feeling we'll move forward strongly from this. A number of PL clubs are going through change,ManUre, Chelsea, even Liverpool... it'll be an interesting year. I believe Potter had possibly reached 'maximum hype' with us at this time, as had Cucu and Biss - we could easily have gone on a multi match losing streak, as before. This reset for the Albion could be just what we need to kick on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think it is very different for those on salaries of 20/30/40K. A significant multiple of those salaries would make a significant difference to peoples lives. But when you are already on a couple of million a year does that multiple really improve his life in any way?

My fury is twofold. That he chose to drop us in the shit in the middle of the season rather than waiting to move in the close season and the fact that he lured away Roberts and Bruno. I'm particularly sad about Bruno. When his name is mentioned in future will the youngsters think "Bruno. The club legend" or "Bruno. The greedy *******". But with the millions he too will have banked, he won't care.

Regarding Bruno, sad that he is no longer at the club, but depending on who we appoint, they may well not have wanted him anyway. Ben Roberts had a more secure position, but I am guessing the Chelsea Goalkeeping coach is either going or demoted, because of a change of manager.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When asked about the vacancy at Brighton, Thomas Frank said he still had a project to finish at Brentford. So, IMHO, did Potter at Brighton. I can understand the money and the ambition - but not the haste - it's not as if the Chelsea offer was ever going to be the only offer to come along. A year or two to finish the project at Brighton wouldn't have exactly caused financial hardship - and any of the other big six could have been looking for a new manager by then - Liverpool, City, even Manchester United wouldn't have felt such a let-down as Chelsea now.

Oh well, it is what it is. We move on..

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Rubbish

He will be paid into some offshore fund the same as most rich people, he will have an accountant to safeguard his wealth.

It’s only us plebs who pay tax and NI

Not true in the slightest. 100% of it will be subject to PAYE and NI.

We got given a cost of living payment of £500 last month,
After tax and NI I got just over 320…

You are a basic rate taxpayer, so paid 20% PAYE and 13.25% NI. :shrug:

That was enough to push some guys into a higher tax bracket so they actually lost out….

That's not how tax works. You only pay the higher rate on the excess, it doesn't drag basic rate income into the higher rate. If they earn lower amounts in the following months, the PAYE will adjust to take that income back into the lower rate band and they'll receive the excess withholdings back - the so called 'cumulative basis'.

How true it is I don’t know but I heard some guys lost child allowance because of the hardship payment!!!

This is potentially true, but only if the allowance takes them from earning <£50k in the full year to earning >£50k, and even then they would only lose a small proportion of their child allowance, so overall they will still be better off than if they'd not received the payment.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When asked about the vacancy at Brighton, Thomas Frank said he still had a project to finish at Brentford. So, IMHO, did Potter at Brighton. I can understand the money and the ambition - but not the haste - it's not as if the Chelsea offer was ever going to be the only offer to come along. A year or two to finish the project at Brighton wouldn't have exactly caused financial hardship - and any of the other big six could have been looking for a new manager by then - Liverpool, City, even Manchester United wouldn't have felt such a let-down as Chelsea now.

I also thought that he should stay and wait for Liverpool, City, Bayern etc

But what the contract info in the OP does show is that the new Chelsea owner appears to be making all the right noises (and backing it up financially) to say that this is a long term project to change the club and not the traditional hire/fire of a big club.

5 year contract, bring your own team, help recruit the new Sporting Director ? Certainly looks like it could be a 'project' ???

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Hopefully he'll be paying 40-50%tax that may benefit the NHS or Social Services in this country...but it's more likely his accountant will help him avoid that much

It's really, truly not. He will pay the same rates of PAYE and NI as any other UK-based employee, and moreover Chelsea will also pay 15.05% employer NI on top of his salary each month.

Overall, each year >£7M will be going to the Exchequer as a result of GP's £12M salary.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It's really, truly not. He will pay the same rates of PAYE and NI as any other UK-based employee, and moreover Chelsea will also pay 15.05% employer NI on top of his salary each month.

Overall, each year >£7M will be going to the Exchequer as a result of GP's £12M salary.

Stop derailing our bitter, emotional responses with your facts!! Surely there's some potential income we can rightly feel unjust about... bonus paid in shares or pension or somesuch?... come on [MENTION=36353]schmunk[/MENTION] give us a hand here

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Stop derailing our bitter, emotional responses with your facts!! Surely there's some potential income we can rightly feel unjust about... bonus paid in shares or pension or somesuch?... come on [MENTION=36353]schmunk[/MENTION] give us a hand here

Yes, there are fairly limited reliefs available for e.g. pension contributions, but they're no different to the reliefs that any other employee receives (one might moan that higher earners get a higher tax relief on their pension contributions, but then that's because they paid the higher tax in the first place...)

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley

It’s not a fact. Taxation and National Insurance don’t fund public expenditure. The sequence is the other way around. Government creates the money first then taxes it back. That’s why it’s called revenue ie money returning from whence it came.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
50/50. Yes it's the challenge, but that's ridiculous amount of money. That's the best part of a quarter of a million quid a week.

How many footballers who are multi multi millionaires went to China for example, for the big cash payout. Fellaini moved there from ManUre in 2019 and he's on £235,000 per week. All about the challenge for him too?

Surely by moving to a CL side, and a side that is used to success in winning trophies, it shows that there is a new, harder challenge he will face than if he had stayed with us.

You could argue it was all about the money if he had moved to a club that was paying that much more for his services, but were in the Championship or similar, who had to sell to stay afloat, and would have nothing to invest in the side, etc.....

If that was the going rate in terms of wages for the role, why would they pay less? If he is very successful there, by underpaying him, there is a high chance that another club come calling for his services and him leaving. Also it may help when it comes to him getting respect from the well paid players there, as it puts him on a more equal standing in terms of how the club value him compared to how the players get paid and therefore less likely they may become snobbish and turn their noses up at someone they may see as a cheap option, equating wage with ability

Potter leaving and ripping out the heart of our training staff hurts. Not sure if I'll forgive. Entirely depends on how his replacement does.

If we get relegated this season, would you be so magnanimous?

I was disappointed to see so many go with him, but we see in in a lot of areas, he wants to give himself the best opportunity of success, and he sees those are key individuals who may be able to turn his time there into a success, and he will have people who already know how he works, and what he wants to deliver which will help reduce the time needed to change things there and (he'll hope) deliver results.

A new director at a major company may change the board and bring their own people in, a new Government / PM changes their cabinet members, especially when trying to change the direction and status quo that existed before, so why would someone like Potter, moving into a role like he has, not want to do something similar?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In the contract pond, we eat plenty of fish and some eat us. It’s really not worth getting emotional about. Just need our fry to grow strong under the protection of Mr Bloom.

Yeah we shouldn’t carp on about it.

He started it

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I also thought that he should stay and wait for Liverpool, City, Bayern etc

But what the contract info in the OP does show is that the new Chelsea owner appears to be making all the right noises (and backing it up financially) to say that this is a long term project to change the club and not the traditional hire/fire of a big club.

5 year contract, bring your own team, help recruit the new Sporting Director ? Certainly looks like it could be a 'project' ???

Agreed. The question is what will happen when the 'project' of bringing through players meets the reality of missing out on Champions League qualification and/or fan unrest. The type of peril they don't really face in American sport.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They quote football players salaries in 'thousands' so it still sounds vaguely relevant to ordinary working people, rather than saying so-and-so is being paid 70, 80, 90 million for playing football. (And yet in cricket when Joe Root's money went up to £20,000 a week everybody said: "Wow! A million a year!"

Funnily enough, I'd argue it's for the opposite reason. I agree that quoting footballers' salaries in thousands is because it's relatable - but the papers do it to wind up ordinary working people. Nobody uses weekly wages for other highly successful branches of the entertainment industry. Nobody moans about musicians who make tens of millions a year. The top Premier League players have an extraordinarily rare level of talent that brings in a fortune so getting a good share of that isn't entirely unreasonable.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

I am afraid to say that your Thomas Frank analogy doesn't hold much water . Look at it this way , if TF had been the one approached by Chelsea would he have said that ? No he would have jumped at it , then suppose Brentford having lost TF were connected with an interest in GP i would think he would say exactly what TF has now said .
Your other point is about waiting for further offers but truth is you , i and especially GP could never be sure that would be the case . I think he would probably have preferred it if an offer like that had come along later but when presented with that on the table decided that was the way to go .
Don't get me wrong here , i am bitterly upset like most of us but it is what it is . My dream is to see the Albion compete in a european competition and after the start this season had even got the cases down out of the loft but it turns out that was a bit premature and , like me , they are now back gathering dust !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here