Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter or Hodgson, Albion's squad or Palace's squad

Potter or Hodgson, Albion's squad or Palace's squad?

• Potter / Albion's squad

Votes: 201 91.4%
  • Potter / Palace's squad

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Hodgson / Albion's squad

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Hodgson / Palace's squad

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You got SOOO excited when you saw a Palace related thread. "Ooh I can post on my NSC". Bless you, you sad thing.

Was you sooo excited when you saw I’d posted . My very own stalker.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If c. 91% of Albion fans on here would take both GP and our squad over Palace's, then looking at Palace's points tally and league finish over recent seasons, either our manager or players (or a combination thereof) must be underperforming.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
If c. 91% of Albion fans on here would take both GP and our squad over Palace's, then looking at Palace's points tally and league finish over recent seasons, either our manager or players (or a combination thereof) must be underperforming.

I must admit this season has been turgid. Roy has done brilliantly with the tools at his disposal but the change will come at the end of the season.
Hearing good things about his replacement and his plans for the future. A good time to be a palace fan :smile:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

It's a conundrum isn't it?

I'd take Potter and our squad over Hodgson and theirs but it does raise the thorny question of what's going wrong for them to be above us.

I put it down to two things. The first is aesthetics. I'd rather watch how we play over how they play but that isn't to denigrate the quality of Hodgson as a manager. He's clearly a very good manager at a certain size club - his record at Fulham, West Brom and Palace is very good. It's just, certainly at Palace, relentlessly shit to watch. If it garners a few more points than us over the course of the season I'll accept them finishing above us and us having Potters football to watch.

The second is the difference between squad quality and individual player quality. As much as I dislike him, Zaha is a quality player for them. We don't have anyone of his individual match winning ability. We all know what there record is like without him so remove him form the equation and we suddenly find ourselves comfortably above them.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There was an article in the Athletic recently about the forthcoming transfer window - Inside this summer’s transfer market: ‘Mega’ deals, ‘nervous’ scouts, ‘skint’ clubs and Lukaku’s return

There were a couple of paragraphs that made me (as an Albion fan) shudder:-

I can't access The Athletic to read the whole piece, but I don't buy the logic in a buyers market being a particular advantage for Palace. They may be able to get some replacements cheaper than had it happened last year, but they seem to have got themselves into a position where they may be looking to not only bring in a new manager, but also half a new squad at the same time. You know, like teams coming up through the play offs have to every year. How does that usually turn out?

These are the players out of contract: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/crystal-palace/vertragsende/verein/873. 28 Year old Jeffrey Schlupp is the only one under 30. Not renewing these contracts would leave them Kouyate, a couple of kids and poor old James Tomkins to make a defence. Kouyate is a decent player and Mitchell at left back has looked promising in the few games he has played, but the new manager is going to be left with the choice of either offering extensions to a load of older players not of his choosing, or trying to build a completely new defence in one transfer window. The latter option would be made even more difficult should he also have to replace a load of midfielders and strikers too.

The, usually widely inaccurate, Transfermarkt market values total the twelve players at approximately £60 million. Whether this figure is accurate or not, it seems reasonable to assume that, even in a depressed market, buying players of a similar standard who are younger is going to cost you more than the market values of the players who can walk away for nothing and sign new contracts elsewhere in July.

If you presume that half of the twelve are going to be offered new contracts that still means that they may be looking for six new first team squad players. Their arrivals over the last six transfer windows have required a spend of about £30 million, or if you prefer, three fifths of the money they got for Win-Bissaka. There may have been rumours of a large injection of cash, but this has been rumoured every summer since Hodgson has been there. The fact is that Palace's American owners have done nothing in the past to suggest that they are all of a sudden going to invest the tens of millions it would need to rebuild a squad and the only saleable playing assets they have are Eze who they have only just bought and Zaha, who they continue to price out of a move because they strangely believe that the purchasing club should cover what they will owe to Man Utd should they sell him. Its far more likely that the new manager will still have to make do and mend. Who are they going to find who could do a better job of this than Hodgson has?

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that even a 50% reduction in the cost of houses wouldn't help if you have to move out of your current place, but only have a tenner to spend.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
There was an article in the Athletic recently about the forthcoming transfer window - Inside this summer’s transfer market: ‘Mega’ deals, ‘nervous’ scouts, ‘skint’ clubs and Lukaku’s return

There were a couple of paragraphs that made me (as an Albion fan) shudder:-

Bullshit and propaganda matey.

We know that Beaky works on a season by season basis. The only goal is to stay up. He will see the summer as a way of re-signing most of the players that kept them up and to do so with pay cuts. He's well canny that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here