[Albion] Potter or Hodgson, Albion's squad or Palace's squad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter or Hodgson, Albion's squad or Palace's squad?

• Potter / Albion's squad

Votes: 201 91.4%
  • Potter / Palace's squad

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Hodgson / Albion's squad

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Hodgson / Palace's squad

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What would be interesting is if this poll was run on a Palace site.

I expect the outcome would be similarly weighted in favour of Hodgson / Palace squad. Maybe slightly less so.

If one of the Palace goons ... er I mean our valued guests fancy running it and letting us know the outcome i'd be grateful

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As someone already said Hodgson is more streetwise than Potter and knows how to get results. I know for a fact I wouldn't want him to manage us as he plays similar to Hughton and that got a bit tedious after a while. I would like us to try and sign Benteke in the summer if his wages were right as he actually knows how to score goals. He doesn't suite our style of play but he would be a good option to change things up if things weren't working out in a game and we wanted to change our style.

You want Benteke? Used to be a goalscorer (42 in 89 for Villa) but is 27 goals in 131 games really what we need?

He is gone. Past it. Not for me.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
You want Benteke? Used to be a goalscorer (42 in 89 for Villa) but is 27 goals in 131 games really what we need?

He is gone. Past it. Not for me.

Hes one of the best headers of the ball in the league, he is also good at holding the ball up.he has just 2 goals less than Maupay this season. I think as a plan B he would be a good player to have, just not on his wages at the moment.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Overall I think our squad is better but there are certainly a few CP players who are an improvement on what we’ve got. People have already mentioned the obvious ones in Zaha and Cahill, but I would make a case that Van Aarnolt, Mitchell and Shlupp are an improvement on our LWB options, I also think McCarthur is a good player, and annoyingly always seems to play particularly well against us.

Right now I think their squad and manager are better at grinding out results, they are more experienced with game management and are well organised. I believe our squad and manager have more potential and are more exciting to watch, hence why I voted for Potter and our squad

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Hodgson actually has a long and distinguished career and did better in Sweden than Potter did. He's a very good coach but time is not on his side and would not suit our players. And, as much as we hate it, Wilf would walk into our current side and improve it.

However, in every other respect we should be superior. Better in depth squad, more realistic wage structure, better ground, better fans, better long term prospects. The fact we're not above them is the thing that perhaps grips my shit the most about our results.

(That's a "the poll options are a bit too concrete but, realistically. Potter and our squad are the nearest option")

Was Hodgson better in Sweden than Potter?

Admittedly, Hodgson took a top division team , nailed on for relegation,and turned them into double League Champions, but Potter took a lower division team through 3 promotions in successive seasons, won the Swedish Cup, and got Ostersund into the knockout stage of the EUFA cup ( or whatever it was called then) beating Galatasaray, PAOK, and eventually Arsenal at the Emirates.

I think Potter achieved more, with the resources available.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Admittedly, Hodgson took a top division team , nailed on for relegation,and turned them into double League Champions, but Potter took a lower division team through 3 promotions in successive seasons, won the Swedish Cup, and got Ostersund into the knockout stage of the EUFA cup ( or whatever it was called then) beating Galatasaray, PAOK, and eventually Arsenal at the Emirates.

With Houghton he got them to a European Cup Final and the pair are credited with certain revolutions in Swedish football, particularly zonal marking. Part of Malmo's ground is named after him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Palace have done very very well, with what they have.
It can’t be denied.
It will all fall apart eventually though, of that I’m sure.

PS I say this at the end of every season

They got 3 points from probably their worst attacking performance this season with just two touches in the opponent’s box. How this sort of football (that their Always Ultras hate so much) is sustainable and keeps them in the top flight season after season is beyond me.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
They got 3 points from probably their worst attacking performance this season with just two touches in the opponent’s box. How this sort of football (that their Always Ultras hate so much) is sustainable and keeps them in the top flight season after season is beyond me.

At the risk of defending Palace, the Benteke defeat said more about our frailties than theirs.

In terms of collecting points they have done well. Not that I’d want to watch them play every week.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When was the last time ANY pundit said Palace were easy on the eye, good to watch or play attractive football?

I'd rather get that every week and be 16th than be regarded as one of the Prem's perennial ugly sides but finish 13th.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

With Houghton he got them to a European Cup Final and the pair are credited with certain revolutions in Swedish football, particularly zonal marking. Part of Malmo's ground is named after him.

Hodgson and Houghton are different people though and Hodgson never coached in the European Cup final (Houghtons Malmö vs Nottingham) as he was managing Halmstad.

But indeed Hodgson was very influential, no doubt, and he was very impressive both while coaching Halmstad and later on Malmö. The probably familiar Sven-Göran Eriksson as well as England serial beater Lars Lagerbäck and current Swedish NT manager Janne Andersson are always quick to quote Hodgson as one of their major influences. However it should also be mentioned that Potter pretty much got the same influence on the new generation of managers here with most of the teams abandoning the long reigning Hodgsonball for Potterball.

At the same time its very difficult to compare things from the 70s and 80s with today and its also difficult to compare Halmstad/Malmö and Östersund. While Hodgson achieved more in terms of titles, he also didnt manage a team with 150 average attendance in a city where the fact that it is frequently -20c makes it incredibly difficult to recruit anyone who got the option to be somewhere else.

The different time eras and - for foreigners perhaps incomprehensible - geographical/cultural differences makes it very difficult to compare.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We've got miles better players and obviously a better manager.

No, I can't explain why we trail them in the league .. apart from the say that league tables, contrary to the much used platitude, can talk complete bollocks

I can. Its simple.
Hodgson has managed at the highest level ( club and country ) He is skilled and experienced at setting up a side v any opposition. He has an experienced back up team. Potter is still relatively inexperienced at this level and is work in progress. Hodgson sets Palace up to be fairly solid at the back but to counter attack quickly. At present, they move the ball forward a little quicker than us. Although our style is more fluid than Palace's, we do lose tempo at times and tend to fall back into a fairly slow possession based style, allowing the opponents to regroup
The Palace squad is older and more experienced than ours. There is probably a tad more consistency from most of their players. We do, however, have youth on our side with manager and players. Palace will need something of an overhaul fairly soon. Hodgson is likely to go/retire plus an ageing squad. I can see us getting better with our existing group. It will be interesting to see how Palace rebuild.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
When was the last time ANY pundit said Palace were easy on the eye, good to watch or play attractive football?

I'd rather get that every week and be 16th than be regarded as one of the Prem's perennial ugly sides but finish 13th.

Well thats about £6m, so if we can afford to do that.....fine.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Overall I think our squad is better but there are certainly a few CP players who are an improvement on what we’ve got. People have already mentioned the obvious ones in Zaha and Cahill, but I would make a case that Van Aarnolt, Mitchell and Shlupp are an improvement on our LWB options, I also think McCarthur is a good player, and annoyingly always seems to play particularly well against us.

Right now I think their squad and manager are better at grinding out results, they are more experienced with game management and are well organised. I believe our squad and manager have more potential and are more exciting to watch, hence why I voted for Potter and our squad

I would also add Milivojevic , a decent player and good at free kicks and penalties. I would have had him in our side vs West Brom (away) and we would have had 3 points instead of none.

I wouldn't want Palace's wage bill

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Palace squad is older and more experienced than ours. There is probably a tad more consistency from most of their players. We do, however, have youth on our side with manager and players. Palace will need something of an overhaul fairly soon. Hodgson is likely to go/retire plus an ageing squad. I can see us getting better with our existing group. It will be interesting to see how Palace rebuild.

There was an article in the Athletic recently about the forthcoming transfer window - Inside this summer’s transfer market: ‘Mega’ deals, ‘nervous’ scouts, ‘skint’ clubs and Lukaku’s return

There were a couple of paragraphs that made me (as an Albion fan) shudder:-

Curiously, and by good fortune rather than design, Crystal Palace have a golden opportunity to upgrade their squad this summer and tie that in with the appointment of a new manager if, as expected, Roy Hodgson stands down at the end of the season. There are 12 players out of contract at Selhurst Park — many of them in the twilight of their career and earning high salaries — meaning that Palace could make that money go a long way with some savvy recruitment in an undervalued market.

“There will be good money spent this summer, but the biggest problem is that clubs need to offload to buy,” says one agent. “But someone like Crystal Palace, who have decided to let a load go, are in the most incredible position in a buyers’ market.”

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So you’ve got a better manager and a better squad. What’s gone wrong then

You got SOOO excited when you saw a Palace related thread. "Ooh I can post on my NSC". Bless you, you sad thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports