[Albion] Potter linked to Man United

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
at what point does someone become "linked with" a club.

Its a phrase heard all the time and to me at least is really meaningless. As soon as someone (anyone is seems) suggests, comments, tweets etc that manager x or player y would be good for club z, then that person is linked. It doesnt matter if its just a has been hack, washedout player, or even a young teens fan channel of tick tock .

It then soon gets reported that X is linked and the whole feeding frenzy begins, The Potter to Everton story was just such a case. Sky basically made up a list of managers, called it a short list, then in "Breaking News" firstly added Potter to it, then removed him, thus occupying a few mins of air time. The reality was of course that it was just hot air and waffle

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Of course he would (and should) go if offered the Man Utd job. He'd be an absolute fool not to. Surely nobody seriously thinks he would stay at a club the size of Brighton because they are well run and have a nice Chairman if offered one of, if not the biggest, jobs in word football?

I'd be stunned if he was offered that job though, I can't see it. He should be at least one more job away from it.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
After all Man United's crap management appointments, they absolutely cannot afford to appoint someone whose achievements to date (in the EPL) consist of 15th and 16th place finishes - and (hopefully) somewhere around 14th this season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Potter has done well for us but would be a disaster at Manure.
Too many big egos to control. It needs a big name tough boss. Not many of them around though.

Although he'll have signed a £2m a year 5 year contract, get sacked after 18 months and BINGO £7m golden handshake!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He would be a great appointment for them IF they wanted him. And of course he would go, you can't turn the Man United job down.

The way he coaches us and sets our patterns of play up, I'm confident Potter would be fantastic with better quality players. To me he's let down most weeks by individual players who are not good enough to fulfill what he tries to do. He deserves better players IMO. Give him Fernandes, Ronaldo, Pogba, Sancho etc and I think he could make them a frightening team.

It wouldn't be the worst big club for Potter to move to either. The owners leave manager's in place longer than most as they don't really care too much about how you're doing on the pitch as long as they're still making money off it. All they want is Champions league qualification which I'm confident Potter would deliver. If they keep Ragnick on as a Director of Football, I think that would help him too.

It won't happen as he's not a big enough name and they're wary of appointing another Moyes but it makes a lot of sense for both parties IMO.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Of course he would go. Quadruple his salary and has the chance to manage one of the biggest clubs on the world and with a lovely pay cheque if he fails (whatever failure is at United). No chance he would be offered it at the moment, probably never will be.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Would he go if offered the role ?

Poyet has come out and said he should go...

Ridiculous! why on earth would Manchester United be interested in him? Their fans will be demanding a high profile manager who has won trophies.

Graham Potter isn't the former, and hasn't achieved the latter . . . yet awhile anyway, and the jury is out as to if he ever will.

Sorry, l find the whole scenario of him taking over at Old Trafford verging on laughable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Potter's stock is surely plummeting with every loss. Peak Potter was a few month's ago.

Yep, I wonder who’ll be the first NSCer to start up his car/SUV and offer to drive him there, there could be fisticuffs at the Amex as they fight it out

I really can’t see their fans thinking he’s good enough, hell there are Brighton fans who think he’s not good enough for us. No chance

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I mean it's very typical of the current state of Man Utd to look at appointing a manager who's just lost four games in a row...

Nope, quite the opposite. It would be very typical of the current state of Man Utd to make decisions based on four games. A well run club doesnt do that.

They are going to take a quick peak in the trophy room or in the headlines and make a decision based on that. Style, philosophy and so on wont matter.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mid point in his career, on a project, living in a lovely part of the World with a great setup and under no huge pressure as long as we stay up.

The Utd job would see him binned after a few losses a la Moyes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope, quite the opposite. It would be very typical of the current state of Man Utd to make decisions based on four games. A well run club doesnt do that.

They are going to take a quick peak in the trophy room or in the headlines and make a decision based on that. Style, philosophy and so on wont matter.

Imagine if this did happen though, on the day you arrived in Portslade :lolol:

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Potter would not be given enough time to succeed at Manchester United.

He’s only just beginning to produce results here, and with the best will in the world, the Manchester United fans and hierarchy want a finished article coach who will put them straight back into contention for the Premier League title and Champions League trophy.

The idea that Man U are going to give him the time he’d need to get the jigsaw pieces in place, and accept the extended runs of poor results that occur while he’s developing the players and getting them doing what he wants is laughable.

I’m very much pro-Potter at Brighton, but he’d have to be getting way more consistency of performance out of the players he has here to be a serious contender for a Champions League club.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It would indeed be quite fun to see people realising that Brighton wont win every game even with a different manager.

Well, we don't win many with Potter. So it's hard to imagine someone else coming in and being even more boring than him. I know you don't agree, but my opinion that the squad is better than the manager is unchanged.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Potter for Man Utd....:D:D:D:D....?

Mr Potter is undoubtedly a reasonably good manager , but in two and a half years , he is yet to master the necessary tactics to get past a packed defence.

Manchester United have to combat this problem in the vast majority of their games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports