Potter in or Our?

• Total voters

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well said.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed . . .I don't remember arguing in the pub about Team Brady/Case/Dinner lady/Gritt in the 90's it was universally agreed most of us on the teraces were better players and better (or at least regularly) paid!, it was all about club survival. How times change.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
From what I have heard Potter has lost the dressing room. Thats pretty hard to come back from.

Yeah really looked like it. One of our best comebacks in years, great spirit. If there was an issue with morale or the manager those are the games you lose 3, 4 or 5-1.

You could see the togetherness when we equalised.

Name your source sir, or I call BS.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Yeah really looked like it. One of our best comebacks in years, great spirit. If there was an issue with morale or the manager those are the games you lose 3, 4 or 5-1.

You could see the togetherness when we equalised.

Name your source sir, or I call BS.

I'd counter that by saying the 2nd half was more a response from the dressing room and not the manager.

I read this far and decided it was enough stupidity for one day.

I see debate is not for you, I'll remember that in future

Astounds me that because we just about scraped a point after a shocking first half performance in a game we are desperate to win anyone would be convinced keeping Potter was a good idea. The bloke just hasn't got a clue how to win a Premier league football match regardless of where the opposition are in the table.

It's Potter's only "achievement" - he's absolutely gutted expectation levels among fans and it's sad to see. Many of us want to stay at this level but some are throwing in the towel and think life would be better in the Championship

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
So oddly, this image came up in my facebook timeline memory... how times have changed in 2 years or so.
Note the statement at the bottom.
c5ecbaf105f37b61d153266e58d4f84c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's Potter's only "achievement" - he's absolutely gutted expectation levels among fans and it's sad to see. Many of us want to stay at this level but some are throwing in the towel and think life would be better in the Championship

No they are not. Most, who support him long term, are saying that they will take a relegation on the way if it comes to it. They do not accept that we are relegated already. It sounds like your towel is in mid flight and will only be grabbed back if we sack him and replace him with....well anybody it seems :lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The irony of someone posting a white flag when they've previously said they'd be perfectly happy to support Potter as our coach in the Championship. *Chef's kiss*

I have never said I’d be perfectly happy :rolleyes:

You have definitely started waving it from recent posts though.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Nonsense. It’s the opposite.

If the players hate the manager they would have conveniently lost that one heavily to get him the boot.

No what I am saying is that the players are fighting for themselves not for the manager. They don't want to fail because they have lost faith in the manager. Thats the kind of thing I am hearing anyway from a person speaking directly to those in the dressing room.

I have never said I’d be perfectly happy :rolleyes:

You have definitely started waving it from recent posts though.

Let's lose the perfectly happy then. Can you clarify that you definitely want Potter to stay as manager if we get relegated? yes or no? I'm not imagining things am I? You said that?

My case is those who favour this option have just abandoned any performance standards whatsoever for this season, no doubt out of sheer demoralisation at our results

It takes ages for academies to really start producing. We're at an early stage, but you can see the intention. Both White and Sanchez are starting, with the likes of Connolly and Alzate looking promising. Add those to the longer-term academy players like Dunk and March - that's not bad! We have the youngest squad in the EPL this season - an incredible change, given we had the second oldest quad in 2017/18. And the good news is that the younger players (Lamptey, White, Bissouma, Maupay etc) are amongst our best [ie, the average age isn't artificially depressed by a load of youngsters on the fringes].

Fair play I forgot Sanchez. Alzate is a real head scratcher, why blood him in all those games last season but give him so few games this? Sanchez alas throws up another troubling issue of the catastrophic loss of form under Potter of many of our Premier League stalwarts

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Let's lose the perfectly happy then. Can you clarify that you definitely want Potter to stay as manager if we get relegated? yes or no? I'm not imagining things am I? You said that?

My case is those who favour this option have just abandoned any performance standards whatsoever for this season, no doubt out of sheer demoralisation at our results

Yes, I want Potter to stay, even if we go down. I have seen enough of how he wants to play the game to give him time. So far I seem to be on the same page as TB but I would never try and second guess his intentions when push comes to shove.

I have enjoyed the football under Potter and THINK that I can see that it will work if given time and backing. I could of course be wrong and we could do a Pompey or Sunderland but I don’t think we will.

We have been in just about every game right to the final whistle, so we are not far short of what’s needed. Just my opinion and I get, but disagree, with those who think a change of manager will make a difference long term :shrug:

I should just add that this season has been the most frustrating in my many years of following the Albion but no I’m certainly not demoralised :down:

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes, I want Potter to stay, even if we go down. I have seen enough of how he wants to play the game to give him time. So far I seem to be on the same page as TB but I would never try and second guess his intentions when push comes to shove.

I have enjoyed the football under Potter and THINK that I can see that it will work if given time and backing. I could of course be wrong and we could do a Pompey or Sunderland but I don’t think we will.

We have been in just about every game right to the final whistle, so we are not far short of what’s needed. Just my opinion and I get, but disagree, with those who think a change of manager will make a difference long term :shrug:
Have you ever played football at a decent level? Your manager sets up the team tells what to do not what to do once players see it’s not working they soon start to question the tactics. Your also getting digs out on the pitch from the opposition telling you how crap you are.

A new manager could easily change the run of form with fresh ideas and tactics without changing the structure of the club. I know you think Potter is the bees knees although you have to agree he’s made some pretty basic mistakes for a so called PL manager.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Have you ever played football at a decent level? Your manager sets up the team tells what to do not what to do once players see it’s not working they soon start to question the tactics. Your also getting digs out on the pitch from the opposition telling you how crap you are.

A new manager could easily change the run of form with fresh ideas and tactics without changing the structure of the club. I know you think Potter is the bees knees although you have to agree he’s made some pretty basic mistakes for a so called PL manager.

Suggest the players have made the mistakes more often than the manager. Pointless arguing this as there is no way of knowing who is right unless he is sacked. Off the top of my head sticking with Ferguson and Dyche worked, so there is mileage in being behind sticking with some managers. Anyway I was just answering a question from [MENTION=1483]London Irish[/MENTION]. I do not expect anyone to change their opinion on what I think though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I should just add that this season has been the most frustrating in my many years of following the Albion but no I’m certainly not demoralised :down:

That's an honest response and I understand why you are looking at what sits behind the games and seeing potential. I get that.

In response, from the other side of the fence, I feel that data is inaccurate. Our xG is higher - in the case of the Wolves game, higher than theirs - and yet we are not seeing results go our way, and this is the consistent picture over the past year.

I don't think TB is going to make a change now because I don't think TB thinks a change will change things at this stage of the season. I think that any manager TB might want would simply not move now. After all, who is going to move during the middle of this season while we are in the midst of a pandemic. The managers TB might want are probably already employed and are unlikely to up sticks. So support for GP from TB should not be seen as support for the results to date.

All the said and done, I desperately want GP to be a success. I think most of us in the OUT camp would say the same. We're not anti-GP but aware of his short comings and concerned that he will take us down.

Personally, I don't think GP alone is to blame. He needs a striker and the board should have acted on this sooner. It's a mistake and knowing this board they'll admit it privately but never publicly. They are a tad too proud.

Perhaps Zeqiri is the answer, or one of our other signings that we sent out on loan, but again that was a mistake.

TB and the management team have done a brilliant job over the past few years and they have our full support. Even a brilliant team make strategic errors. We've made one.

If GP gets his striker we might stay up, but that won't explain away some of the naive selections and tactical set ups GP has made.

Let's hope that in a year's time you are right and we're in the top half of the Premier League. I hope so.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Something else Big Sam claims is making it tougher is the new Brexit rules.

Football manager who voted Leave complains about not being able to sign players because of Brexit

He is quoted as saying: “I have found three players already who were capable of coming here and they're not allowed. It's a shame. Due to the new regulations in terms of the permit they were unable to come to this country, whereas (previously) they would have done. I have to look at that and think 'can he qualify?'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/football-manager-who-voted-leave-complains-about-not-being-able-to-sign-players-because-of-brexit/ar-BB1csxmF

Apparently Pro-Brexit campaigner Big Sam has just found out what he voted for :lolol:

Its weird... wonder what junk he was looking to sign then. If you read the new work permit rules they are far more lenient than they were before unless you are trying to sign U18 players. Before it was "if you come from some country where they eat mango and shit you better be good...", now its more "if you are reliably existing, please come".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports