Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter In or Out

Potter in or Our?

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But surely the expectation is we are meant to cope better the longer we are at this level, because of the accumulated spending on the squad transforming it from our Championship one. We did spend a lot of money by our standards in season 3 that I think should have stood us in good stead this season. It hasn’t really - we are among the 4 teams being cut adrift and will now have to depend on Fulham not outperforming to survive. Our odds look uncomfortable and I suspect regardless of our differing views on Potter we are closer on the reality of our survival chances

Im not sure its "surely the expectation". To ask both of a change of playing style, to introduce the whole concept of playing academy players while also expecting improved results is not necessarily all that realistic (not saying "impossible" but also not something you can expect). One thing at a time. In 12 months it will be more fair to look at results beyond the "survival" level.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That will have something to do with having 10 men behind the ball, anti football

More than one way to play football.....

I would say the last 25 mins of the first half was anti-football as it was embarrassingly shambolic.....

Different types of shit remember [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I agree with you Noo. I think Big Sam is criminally underrated as a manger.

Attractive football? Maybe not. And I wouldn’t want him at my club. But look at his record. He’s been in this situation many times and always kept the team up.

Hopefully for us, this time may be his toughest challenge. Only because the Premier League competition is unreal right now. But I wouldn’t rely on it. We need to pick up more points.

Yes - it'll be fascinating, and no doubt tougher for Big Sam this time round. Have West Brom got money to splash around? It's pretty difficult to get decent players in January if you're a relegation candidate (and any contract is VERY unlikely to include a relegation (salary reduction) clause). I had a quick look back at what happened when he kept Palace up - they spent over £30m in January on three players (Schlupp, Milevojevic, and van Arnholt). Palace also had a load of pretty experienced Premier League players already in their team. Plus, there were at least seven or eight teams in the relegation battle when Allardyce came in (and Palace already had 15 points at the time). West Brom have EIGHT points (from the same number of games).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
On a more serious note he is here to stay and I ****ing love this club and the chairman so no more potter out from me let’s just pray he keeps us up

same from me really.

Still rather him be out but just hope he can somehow turn it around and keep us up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No it was a team who knew how to defend , but could not attack

We haven’t conceded THAT many more goals than CH’s team did and we have scored a lot more goals and been pretty entertaining doing it.

This argument could go on forever, it is personal taste as to which football you prefer and like politics you have zero chance of changing anyone’s mind.

I have no idea why we all (myself included) keep trying :lolol:

It’s easy to get sucked into Team Potter or Team Hughton when the reality is we support Team Albion and shouldn’t need to keep comparing. One has gone, the other is here at the moment. So on that basis I’m currently very Team Potter, Chris can’t help us in any way whatsoever at the moment :wink:

Im not sure its "surely the expectation". To ask both of a change of playing style, to introduce the whole concept of playing academy players while also expecting improved results is not necessarily all that realistic (not saying "impossible" but also not something you can expect). One thing at a time. In 12 months it will be more fair to look at results beyond the "survival" level.

Playing academy players? When? The only one who gets in regularly is White and it's a moot point if he's playing any better this season than last, same with Connolly's fitful and sporadic progress. Alzate and Molumby aren't getting any games even before Mulder's arrival and during Popper's injury.

The style canard appears to be justifying a multitude of sins, and dragging us deeper into a relegation scrap than we've even been in our previous three arguably shows we don't have the players for it, which Potter may be gradually realising as evidenced by his baffling chopping and changing that few Brighton fans can make any sense of.

If you could say we'd still be here in the Prem in 12 months, then yes I'd back Potter and his "style". But our chances are beginning to look like a coin toss and that's poorer than previous seasons, or as poor as one which necessitated change previously. That can't be acceptable.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Playing academy players? When? The only one who gets in regularly is White and it's a moot point if he's playing any better this season than last, same with Connolly's fitful and sporadic progress. Alzate and Molumby aren't getting any games even before Mulder's arrival and during Popper's injury.

The style canard appears to be justifying a multitude of sins, and dragging us deeper into a relegation scrap than we've even been in our previous three arguably shows we don't have the players for it, which Potter may be gradually realising as evidenced by his baffling chopping and changing that few Brighton fans can make any sense of.

If you could say we'd still be here in the Prem in 12 months, then yes I'd back Potter and his "style". But our chances are beginning to look like a coin toss and that's poorer than previous seasons, or as poor as one which necessitated change previously. That can't be acceptable.

2A706629-4933-4D1F-87D9-DB238DF1BB8F.gif

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It takes ages for academies to really start producing. We're at an early stage, but you can see the intention. Both White and Sanchez are starting, with the likes of Connolly and Alzate looking promising. Add those to the longer-term academy players like Dunk and March - that's not bad! We have the youngest squad in the EPL this season - an incredible change, given we had the second oldest quad in 2017/18. And the good news is that the younger players (Lamptey, White, Bissouma, Maupay etc) are amongst our best [ie, the average age isn't artificially depressed by a load of youngsters on the fringes].

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In? Out? Potter About?

It's so sweet and in some ways admirable to nail your colours to the mast for TB's latest Chosen One. And total respect to the bloke for continually taking a punt on a manager outside of the Serial Loser English Manager Club. Has to be said tho, track record of TB's choices of manager are patchy at best. And will doubtless remain so, for as long as his reward system falls increasing short of paying the going rate for EPL level players, and probably managers and their hanger-on circus also

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s easy to get sucked into Team Potter or Team Hughton when the reality is we support Team Albion and shouldn’t need to keep comparing. One has gone, the other is here at the moment. So on that basis I’m currently very Team Potter, Chris can’t help us in any way whatsoever at the moment :wink:

Well said.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Astounds me that because we just about scraped a point after a shocking first half performance in a game we are desperate to win anyone would be convinced keeping Potter was a good idea. The bloke just hasn't got a clue how to win a Premier league football match regardless of where the opposition are in the table.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
From what I have heard Potter has lost the dressing room. Thats pretty hard to come back from.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes - it'll be fascinating, and no doubt tougher for Big Sam this time round. Have West Brom got money to splash around? It's pretty difficult to get decent players in January if you're a relegation candidate (and any contract is VERY unlikely to include a relegation (salary reduction) clause). I had a quick look back at what happened when he kept Palace up - they spent over £30m in January on three players (Schlupp, Milevojevic, and van Arnholt). Palace also had a load of pretty experienced Premier League players already in their team. Plus, there were at least seven or eight teams in the relegation battle when Allardyce came in (and Palace already had 15 points at the time). West Brom have EIGHT points (from the same number of games).

Something else Big Sam claims is making it tougher is the new Brexit rules.

Football manager who voted Leave complains about not being able to sign players because of Brexit

He is quoted as saying: “I have found three players already who were capable of coming here and they're not allowed. It's a shame. Due to the new regulations in terms of the permit they were unable to come to this country, whereas (previously) they would have done. I have to look at that and think 'can he qualify?'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/football-manager-who-voted-leave-complains-about-not-being-able-to-sign-players-because-of-brexit/ar-BB1csxmF

Apparently Pro-Brexit campaigner Big Sam has just found out what he voted for :lolol:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Something else Big Sam claims is making it tougher is the new Brexit rules.

Football manager who voted Leave complains about not being able to sign players because of Brexit

He is quoted as saying: “I have found three players already who were capable of coming here and they're not allowed. It's a shame. Due to the new regulations in terms of the permit they were unable to come to this country, whereas (previously) they would have done. I have to look at that and think 'can he qualify?'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/football-manager-who-voted-leave-complains-about-not-being-able-to-sign-players-because-of-brexit/ar-BB1csxmF

Apparently Pro-Brexit campaigner Big Sam has just found out what he voted for :lolol:

Bore off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here