Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey 58m in debt!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Rangers' proposed situation for the next two seasons makes me laugh. 10 point deduction at the start of each season? In a league which is fought out between two dominant teams, one of which will be Rangers (regardless of point deduction), who will play Celtic 3 times (which would almost negate the points lost if they win all of them), it seems like a complete get out of jail card to me.

They've f***ed up financially, massively, and the worst that could possibly happen would be that they finish 3rd.

Tin pot league with only 4/5 (big) teams involved for honours, complete waste of effort the only thing that keeps that league going is bigotry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do they own the ground or is it council or previous owners??

The previous (previous) owner.

Assets can be everything apart from land and fabric of building. It can be players, turf, seats, light bulbs, copper pipes etc etc.

Assets stripped there could be a lot of dough.

They don't own the stadium.

There players and ground as there only assets should be sold to pay off all debts, the ground should have all restrictions removed and be sold with planning permision for a high rise tower block

They don't own the ground, or the land it stands on.

Even if they sold the pitch to build luxury riverside flats on, they would surely never get £58m for it.

They don't own it!

Is Fratton really the sort of area that one builds luxury flats on though? I'm not convinced. It's a crap area.

They don't....

Unless they discover oil underneath, they're scuppered.

Its not their land. Even the oil wouldn't be theirs!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Fratton Park is worth zero value. Firstly because Portsmouth FC don't own it, secondly because (I understand, not 100% on this though) the ground is reserved for sports use only. Therefore it cannot be sold for development.

They don't own it!

They don't....

So they don't own the land then?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fratton Park is worth zero value. Firstly because Portsmouth FC don't own it, secondly because (I understand, not 100% on this though) the ground is reserved for sports use only. Therefore it cannot be sold for development.

There are restrictions on the land usage. These things can be changed though.

I don't think so, no...

Perhaps the £37m "owed" to the previous administrators just might be the liabilities due over the next 5 years under the 2010 CVA; does anyone really think that Chainrai used any of his own his own money to buy the club as Leibherr did when he bought the Scummers?
The club don't own Fratton Park; it was sold to Chainrai prior to him selling Pompey to Antonov.

They don't own it!

They don't....

There are restrictions on the land usage. These things can be changed though.

I don't think so, no...

About time we started on the land surrounding Fratton Park then?
I'll kick it off - it's owned by another former Pompey owner, Alexandre Gaydamak, who bought the club in 2006.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
From this mornings Portsmouth news

Among the other known creditors are Domino’s Pizza, schools, Southampton Football Club, The Poppy Appeal charity, Real Betis Football Club and Wembley Stadium.:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
About time we started on the land surrounding Fratton Park then?
I'll kick it off - it's owned by another former Pompey owner, Alexandre Gaydamak, who bought the club in 2006.

Didn't he decide to start charging staff and players to use the car parking facilities not so long ago?

Horrendous puzzle and mess of whom owns what and what they wish to do with it if nothing is resolved.

Among the other known creditors are Domino’s Pizza

:lolol: Astounding that they were not asked to pay upfront.

I might start ordering Domino pizza, get it delivered to the ground, loiter outside the offices to intercept and tell them to bill the club. I wonder how many pizzas I can get before getting sussed out.

(Unless, of course, they have a Domino Pizza hut at Fratton Park)

Presumably the shirt sales auction. Money goes straight to the club (through their ebay page) and then the club transfer to the Poppy Appeal or not as it seems...

I had a great dislike of all things Pompey before I read that, words cannot adequately describe how outraged I am by this, if true of course.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
By Rory McKeown
Published on Thursday 12 April 2012 07:01

POMPEY’S administrator Trevor Birch says he cannot rule out liquidation after revealing the club owes £59m.

Creditors were sent a report by administrators PKF yesterday detailing its findings since their appointment in February.

The report shows £40.5m is owed to unsecured creditors, of which £6.6m is due to football creditors.

It confirms Portpin – the firm of former Pompey owner Balram Chainrai – is owed £18.6m due to its fixed charge over Fratton Park.

Mr Birch said he had been in discussion with ‘a small number of interested parties, although no offers have been received to date’.

‘We continue to believe that we can find a buyer for the club before the money runs out and are doing everything we can to achieve this,’ he said.

‘As things stand, we cannot rule out the possibility of having to liquidate the company if our efforts aren’t successful.

‘It would be irresponsible to claim otherwise. However, we want the club to have a sustainable long-term future and are working hard to make this vision a reality.’

PKF, which has run up costs of £524,000 since being appointed, says unsecured creditors include Pompey’s former parent company CSI, which is owed £10.5m, transfer and agents’ fees to English and overseas clubs, unpaid salaries, and Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs. The £16.5m Company Voluntary Agreement (CVA) with creditors from the club’s last administration in 2010 is also listed.

Among the other known creditors are Domino’s Pizza, schools, Southampton Football Club, The Poppy Appeal charity, Real Betis Football Club and Wembley Stadium.

The amount unsecured creditors are due to receive will be decided when the club exits administration through a CVA, but Mr Birch says he is not in a position to estimate how much will be repaid.

Administrators warned creditors would receive even less if the club is liquidated and its assets sold off piecemeal. A creditors’ meeting will be held at the Victory Lounge in Fratton Park on April 26 from 11am.

Trust urges share support

THE Pompey Supporters’ Trust has urged fans to back its share scheme after Trevor Birch’s liquidation warning.

Spokesman Scott Mclachlan said: ‘The statement from Mr Birch reiterates the message that Pompey could be a matter of weeks from disappearing unless a buyer can be found.

‘The CVA is crucial as it is hoped it could deliver a debt-free Pompey to any prospective buyer and will make urgent restructuring to cut the club’s running costs easier.

‘It highlights that the trust’s pre-share issue is currently the only positive move anyone has made to save it.

‘We ask everyone to get involved in pledging to buy a share by visiting communitypompey.co.uk and depositing £100 to register your interest.’

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would GLADLY sacrifice 6 points if it meant these wankers have to start again from the very bottom.

And YES the "long suffering" fans WILL have a team to support, even if its non league. But ya know what TOUGH.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would like to congratulate the administrators for saving enough on staff wages to almost (but not quite) cover their own charges :lol:

Not that it makes much difference as both the players and the administrators will be creditors when the club is liquidated.............. oh I forgot. The players will be secured creditors under the FL's bizarre "football creditors first" rule whereas the staff and the administrators will be lumped in with all the other dross in the queue chasing pennies in the pound (theoretically - because the administrators aren't going to let that happen are they!)

Seriously though, they are going to be totally dependant on contracted players agreeing to the cancellation of their contracts at potentially no cost to the club if they are to survive. No-one is going to pay the silly salaries that Pompey have agreed let alone pay a transfer fee and they certainly can't afford the ten or so "£7.5K a week plus" players in League 1 and FL rules don't allow for redundancy. If someone like Ben Haim on an all-inclusive £50K a week with 2 years left to run on his current deal declines to play ball then forget not being able to meet running costs - he can scupper any potential deal to buy the club singlehandedly. Until he and the likes of Pearce, Norris, Ward, Kitson et al agree to walk away it's hard to see a buyer coming forward and by the time that mess is sorted it may well be too late.

Do I have sympathy for PFC? Read my previous posts :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here