Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please, Please do not appoint Nathan Jones.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And who knows if any other appointment would even have a pan, let alone a flash in it.

Indeed.

I'm honestly torn. I've wanted McDermott in the job, as I think he has the knowledge of the division, the track record and the experience. My instinct tells me we do need someone like him at the helm, as maybe Jones is just getting a dead cats bounce simply out of NOT being Sami Hyypia. And look, we've only had 3 decent halves of football to really judge him on so far.

But....but...maybe Jones has got something. I've never been one for incessantly advocating "passion" all the time from a manager. Passion is for Jilly Cooper.
Primarily you need to set a team up properly, use your resources effectively, and react tactically during the game. And so far, he's done all that. So I'm not as ready to dismiss Jones as an option as I was 3 days ago.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe TB has got to take the bull by the horns and rely on his instinct which I hope will be to appoint Hughton, who seems to be the favourite, as No 1 with a position for NJ in the set up. The problem with giving Jones longer trial period is that by the time we know the answer we could be so far adrift that we would need snookers to get out of it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The experienced manager argument is an interesting one. I mean, that's probably what Birmingham City fans were saying when Gary Rowett turned up a few weeks back.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The problem is none of the available managers seem to be overly exciting appointments.

In the summer there were plenty of decent options but now it all seems quite dull, therefore an unknown quantity over a dull manager seems ok...but only time will tell

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I believe TB has got to take the bull by the horns and rely on his instinct which I hope will be to appoint Hughton, who seems to be the favourite, as No 1 with a position for NJ in the set up. The problem with giving Jones longer trial period is that by the time we know the answer we could be so far adrift that we would need snookers to get out of it.

Rely on instinct? christ I hope not.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its a risk appointing ANYONE. If we get in Hughton, he needs to assess the squad and I am sure he'll be given an idea where to strengthen but still coming in from a cold start. NJ has proven he can get the team playing, grind out a win, and come from behind to get a draw, both things that we have struggled to do in recent seasons. He bleeds blue and white, passionate and if you look at Brentford, Birmingham who have both appointed younger coaches and seem to be doing OK we could do a lot worse.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
On a night when we're all feeling happy it seems a shame to dig this up but IF Bloom had sacked Hyppia about a month ago when we had collectively decided that he wasn't up to it then there would have been time to see if Jones grew into the role before the transfer window made a decision vital.

Hmm, and IF Bloom had given Gus enough money to continue improving the team…

In retrospect hindsight will only make you feel worse.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its a risk appointing ANYONE. If we get in Hughton, he needs to assess the squad and I am sure he'll be given an idea where to strengthen but still coming in from a cold start. NJ has proven he can get the team playing, grind out a win, and come from behind to get a draw, both things that we have struggled to do in recent seasons. He bleeds blue and white, passionate and if you look at Brentford, Birmingham who have both appointed younger coaches and seem to be doing OK we could do a lot worse.

Hear hear. Eddie Howe was 29 when appointed Bmuffs coach. Look at the run of managers Gary Monk has followed. If the current squad respond and are loyal to Jones, he might be our best man to get us out of this. Plus he looks good in a suit.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why not give him a go on a short term basis?

If we are winless in the next 10, sack him & bring someone else in. That will cost next to nothing & nothing ventured nothing gained (or lost)

Because we would be relegated if that happens!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You could be winless in that time frame with any manager. 4 points out of 6 now & change it for a manager as unsuccessful as hypia was & people we'll go down anyway.

Why change a winning team?

How does one win equate to 'a winning team'? There is far, far lower risk of a 10-loss run with an experienced manager.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I see NSC hasn't changed. I've read many posts on this thread that are heavily based on prejudice and ignorance. It would seem that a remark made by Micky Adams aimed at Nathan Jones, in the heat of the moment, many seasons ago when we played Yeovil, has produced such bias many years later.

Last season we reached the play-offs. What the majority of his detractors do not know, is the part that Jones played in that achievement. In January, Garcia told the players that he wasn't the type of manager who threw a fit in the dressing room. He hardly entered the dressing room from then on, at home matches. He stayed in his lounge. It was Jones who gave the pep-talks and was with the team before the match, and at half-time.

Even on the training ground Garcia stayed in his office. It was Jones who put the players through their paces and coached them.

In short, without Nathan Jones we would never have reached the play-offs.

So bury your prejudice, and back the guy all the time that he is in charge.

And you know all this how exactly?

I agree we should back Jones all the time he is in charge BTW, but I expect that to end within a few days at most...

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You could do a lot worse .

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't be against him being interim for the season, it's clear that he can get a response from the players and he cares about the club, regardless about what his detractors say.

In an ideal scenario, we'd get an experienced man in and keep him as #2, but that's unlikely.

I think your last sentence may well happen, or at least Nathan as first team coach.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He's had 18 months of doing a good job, keep him at the club! As a number 2 or coach.

How do you know he has been doing a good job for 18 months? Difficult to tell IMHO. On the other hand, I agree that he has now earned the right to stay.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly this, people seemed to have forgotten Jones was with us last season and we finished top six. He like a Brighton loving Tim Sherwood.

So Jones gets credit for being part of the management team that got us top 6, but no criticism for being part of the team that got us to 2nd bottom? How does that make sense!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You could do a lot worse .

Indeed. We've just got rid of a lot worse. But we could also do a lot better IMHO. Anyway, what's it to you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here